3rd Trimester

How will you style your hair for labor?

I hope this doesn't come out as me being vain lol  I have super long, thick hair, that lately has staying in a high pony tail because the heat is too bad to actually wear it down and fix it up nice.  Knowing that TONS of pictures will be taken when I am in labor and giving birth I want to look good, but not be uncomfortable with my hair---I'll def. want it out of my face for sure! I just can't decide how I want to fix it so that it looks good, but also is out of the way!  My mom has warned me numerous times that when she gave birth to my brother and had long hair, she wore it down and it go super tangled and was horrible lol  Surely don't want that to happen! 

So...tell me, what kind of hair style are you going to do, what would you recommend for me and my long, super thick hair?!  Include a pic if you can! :)

Re: How will you style your hair for labor?

• Lol...serious?? I threw it up in a ponytail to keep it off my face... You sweat like crazy... I can tell you after 22 hours of labor I could have given a rats arse what my hair looked like..it might have been the farthest thing from my mind. I don't mind the pictures of my messy hair and swollen face during labor..it is real and perfect.

The days after I showered and got ready... Those are the pictures I display.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My hair is not super long, but I plan to just throw it in a pony tail. It'll keep it out of the way, is low maintenance, and looks pretty good.

If your hair is really long, I'd think about putting it in a braid so it is even more out of the way.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first I styled my hair and did my makeup before going in for my induction in an attempt to look cute for pictures. The only picture I looked cute in was the one DH took when we first got there and I got in my gown. By the end I looked disgusting! My hair looed filthy because it was drenched in sweat. My face was red, makeup sweated off and I was swollen to the point of looking like the marshmellow man from ghostbusters. I looked yucky but DD was cute enough for the both of us...and the baby is who everyone wants to see anyway.
  • yep. pony tail and I will use a head band to keep my layers/bangs from falling out and into my face.

after I shower we will get some good display worthy pictures :) 

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • is this a joke?  LOL.....i had a c section and the last freaking thing i was worrying about was what my hair looked like!!!!
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Seriously? Hmm

I'm sure that having a nice hair style and keeping it nice will be the last thing from your mind when you are labouring and delivering.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Nope, not writing this as a joke....I'm just a clueless FTM :)    Most of the people I know try to look good before and after labor so they can get decent pictures.   I was just curious on what the best way was to fix my hair so that I don't have to worry about it getting tangled and unmanageable, because I am sure after my LO makes her grand entrance I am not going to want to take time to fix it up because I will be too excited and into what is going on with my new bundle of joy!   I totally understand that during/after the hard parts of labor my hair will be a hot mess, just figured that before that happens I'd want to have hit up in a way that won't bother me.
  • I dont think your crazy...lol.

I am having a repeat C-section and my Hair will be done and makeup on!!!

My pics with Aubrey are horrible....16 hours of labor and a csection....but i didnt care! I really dont now but since I am going in early might as well shower and get ready....kwim?

• Pony tail and a headband to get the layers out of my face.  I'm still anticipating looking like a hot mess though. Smile
  • I plan on putting my hair in a pony tail and maybe wearing a head band as well. :) Definitly not wearing make up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • What?!  Style my hair?  It's going to be down and messy. I really don't care.  
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I'm having my stylist meet me at the hospital so that she can replace every stray hair for me while pushing.

I'm sorry, but seriously? I get it that some people want to look good for pictures after delivery...but for labor? Who in the hell cares? You're birthing a child, not entering a beauty contest.

Shower and do your hair after delivery...but I guarantee you wont' give two flips what your hair looks like during labor. Even in the photos. Because that's *real*.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have chin length hair...so I will just straighten it as usual and probably wear minimal makeup. Then again, I'm having a scheduled c-section. If I wasn't I probably wouldn't care/plan to look good if I was going to be in labor for hours
  • imagec_washington:

yep. pony tail and I will use a head band to keep my layers/bangs from falling out and into my face.

after I shower we will get some good display worthy pictures :) 

Ooooh a headband is a good idea!

• I have long thick hair as well, the kind that has to be re-done 8 times during a 1 hour workout because it falls out. No elastic is strong enough to keep it all in place! I plan on doing 2 french braids and calling it a day. However they look/hold up doing labor is their own problem. At least I know it will be out of my face and if they fall out, oh well. Like everyone said in PP, I'm sure at that moment you won't care! It's like my worries that my doctor won't be there on THE day. I don't think I will care THAT much when I'm in labor. Just give me a doctor, any doctor!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This post really makes me laugh! Seriously.Cracking.Up! And I LOVE the updo comment! Classic!!!!! The last thing you will be worried about is your hair. BUT, should that be your biggest concern as you push out a human from your lady parts, consider yourself very lucky.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Josiah James

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Naomi Rose

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I guess I'm as nuts as you are then, b/c I have thought about this a lot too.  Obviously I realize its not going to be pretty, but there will be pictures and I'd rather attempt to have a half way decent look then not. 

My plan is to braid my bangs to the side and then do a pony tail--at least they'll be out of my face and maybe look cute too.  :) 

• I have shorter hair, right above my shoulders. I've thought too about what I'm going to do to get it out of my face and still not look like crap in all the pictures. It looks like I'm going to have a c-section though so who knows. The way I'm looking at it, those pictures are going to go into a scrapbook, they won't all be framed around the house, maybe one on FB for all my family that doesn't live here. Just throw it up in a ponytail and say the hell with it. You're having a baby, thats beautiful enough. Who cares what you look like :)
  • The pictures I have of myself after delivery - honestly, without looking at them I couldn't tell you what my hair looked like.  But I can tell you that I looked sweaty, and somehow my neck disappeared so I resemble Jabba the Hut.  But I was also crying with happiness so THAT is what makes the pics.  It's not like anyone else but us will see them - because honestly, people don't want to see your in labor or directly post labor mess. 

Just get your hair out of your face and out of your way.  That's far more important than how you look.

Although vajazzling is a brilliant idea!!~!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Well I don't think you're crazy! If you have family and friends like mine, they will find it highly entertaining to take pictures of every second and post them on FB and tag you in them. They will not care what you look like in the pic. So I understand where you are coming from completely. That's why there won't be any pictures taken of me until the next day or something. Take a billion pictures of the baby, or other people, I don't care, but there's no reason all my FB friends need to see me like that. 

As for your question, I would definitely do a ponytail or messy bun with a headband to hold back strays or bangs. I can't stand my hair in my face when I'm working or whatever, so I'm sure I will feel the same during labor.

• The day I had DS I actually had straightened my hair that morn, I didn't know I was having him that day. But once I got to the hospital, I put it up in a pony tail. When DH got there, I was already having contractions and he had the nerve to ask me if I was putting make up on. I told him to get the **** away from me. The last thing you are worried about is the way you look trust me. The least of your worries. Just throw it up in a ponytail, it's the most comfortable.
  • I plan on showering, putting my hair back in a slicked ponytail, and wearing a headband to keep the strays off my face. My husband thinks I'm nuts because I want to shower before going to the hospital, but I know I'll be more comfortable and focused if I have showered immediately before. I'm not doing anything fancy though :-)
  • Any way that doesn't piss me off while I'm much more concerned with doing something else. Get over the whole hair style thing. It's hilarious that you give a *** actually.
  • I'm just doing my usual ponytail to keep it from annoying me.  I'm not worried about how the pictures will look.  In every brand-new baby picture I've seen, the mom looks beautiful and happy.  I don't even notice the hair.

Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• My hair is a little past my chin and I have packed a barrette to just pull the sides out of my face and a rubber band, but my hair doesn't stay in a ponytail very well.

I don't think you are crazy, I have thought about this b/c I hate having hair in my face while working out or doing stuff around the house and I am sure it would drive me crazy to have it down while I am in labor.  Also, I am one of those people who wears at least a little make up whenever I leave the house, it makes me feel better. That being said, I know that I am not going to care what I look like right after labor, but I know myself well enough to know that when I have some time to clean myself up and freshen, I will put on some make up and want my hair to look somewhat normal.  I have done this after other surgeries I have had and it actually made me feel more like "me"

• Lol I have to admit that I am loving some of these replies!!!

With my DD I had my hair and make up done before I left for college and my water broke. By the time I made it through labor most of my make up was wiped off but the hair wasn't too awful bad (I only had 3 hours of actual painful labor - rest of the time I was in the vehicle while my mom ran errands lol). I still LOVE the pics of my birth because they are so special : ).

This time around we go in for an induction TOMORROW morning!!! I will have my hair done (like normal) and my make up on. Plan on bringing a ponytail holder to put it up in a bun with (I have pretty thick hair so it will HAVE to be put it). We have a birth photographer coming but i'm not worried too much about how horrible i'll look after ; )! It's part of labor.

• I had my hair up in a ponytail.  For some reason, the ponytail started to bother me when I would put my head onto the pillow to rest in between pushes, so I pulled it out.  I have the ponytail bump in my hair as a result in all pictures.  I had been wearing light powder only, so I wasn't really wearing makeup that would run off.  The pictures taken of me and DD right after I gave birth show my ponytail bump and red eyes from crying.  I am not ashamed of how I looked.  I worked hard to get her out, kwim. 

I do have a cousin that went in for a RCS.  Her pictures and mine look completely different.  She doesn't have a single hair out of place and is in full make-up (bright eyeshadow and mascara).  Meh...different birth experiences and different preferences.  I love my pictures as much as she loves hers.

• imagelisajay09:

imageMcRib:
    I'm thinking an updo-- something like when I was a bridesmaid. Can't wait!

Absolutely!  Perhaps a tiara to finish off the look!

And, honestly, taking a picture during labor was the last thing I wanted or thought of.  Being in agony is NOT something I want to look at.  I seriously don't get it.  It's not a party.

Yes

Pretty sure my labor will be a NO pictures allowed kind of event. Before and after, yes, but during? No thanks.

I will have my hair in a ponytail and a headband to keep the flyaways out of my face.

• After 2 days of labor, IV fluids, pitocin, and 3hrs of pushing, the last thing on my mind was my hair or any part of my physical appearance. My eyes were nearly swollen shut and I burst a bunch of blood vessels in my face. My hair was matted to my head like a wet dog. My feet and ankles were unrecognizable. The pics are still beautiful because they are authentic and raw.

Good luck with beauty school!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm here to tell you that you really won't care.  Promise.
  • imageairforcewife331:
    Nope, not writing this as a joke....I'm just a clueless FTM :)    Most of the people I know try to look good before and after labor so they can get decent pictures.   I was just curious on what the best way was to fix my hair so that I don't have to worry about it getting tangled and unmanageable, because I am sure after my LO makes her grand entrance I am not going to want to take time to fix it up because I will be too excited and into what is going on with my new bundle of joy!   I totally understand that during/after the hard parts of labor my hair will be a hot mess, just figured that before that happens I'd want to have hit up in a way that won't bother me.

Why don't you french braid it?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • I think it's so funny people are getting so bent out of shape that other people care about this. And yes, some of us will/did care what we looked like at one of the best moments of our lives :).

Luckily with my 1st, I only pushed for 20 mins, never broke a sweat. I had taken a shower and done my hair and makeup before I left the house when my water broke. After the baby was out (16 hr later, mind you) and cleaned up and my family came in for the first real family pic, my mother handed me a hairbrush and some lipstick and told me to put it on. It took 2 seconds. I felt alot better about myself in that first picture because of it and it's displayed in my house. I can promise you if I looked like sh it, no matter how I felt about the moment, it probably wouldn't have ever been framed. Call me vain, but as a photographer, I know how most moms are too. If they don't look good, the picture doesn't get bought or shown :).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take a shower and put gel in my hair and scrunch (what i normally do) when I go into labor.  I blowdry what I can, I put it up and put one of those stretchy head bands in (the ones that go around your whole head).

It's something to do and focus on when you're going through contractions.  And I'm not the least bit vain person, and I could usually give a crap less what I look like. 

• imageawesnap:
    I plan on going full Brazilian, vajazzled with the baby's name so we can get a good picture of the head coming out.

Oh, you didn't mean that kind of hair, did you?
    ahahahahaha
  • French braiding it is the best way to go - stays in, flyaway strands actually look cute and it can all easily be combed out and redone if you're really worried baout what you look like before the paparrazzi strike. :) good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"