Pre-School and Daycare

XP:3 year old in a crib

Alright flame if you must, but here it is.  DD is still in a crib.  She turned 3 in June.  She has a decent amount of room in there still.  She's never made an attempt to climb out of it, and seems very comforted by it, and we haven't needed it for a new sibling.  She is potty trained, but still wearing a pull up at night. I hadn't made a big deal out of getting her moved out, because I realize a toddler bed is the same mattress, therefore the same size.  But a friend made a comment the other day about it, and now I feel like a complete idiot, like I've done a major fail.  So how old is too old for the crib? Are we already at that point? We were planning to move her to a twin in the next 3-5 months (for sure by Christmas).
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: XP:3 year old in a crib

• Well, if you're moving her before Christmas, I don't see the big deal.  DS1 was out of a crib and into a toddler bed by 2years old. Then on to a twin bed six months later.  DS2 was into a toddler bed at the same age, 2.  Then we bought them a bunk bed this past March when DS1 was four and DS2 was 2.5 years old.  DS2 just turned 3 in July, and he's been doing great!

For me, when the child is 2 they should be in at least a toddler bed. Or if the crib converts to a toddler bed, use that just so they get the sense of the bed with no rails.  Like getting their barings (sp). 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • If it makes you feel better, sleep experts suggest age 3 for the best time to transition out of a crib: both for safety and developmentally ready reasons. So you're on track :)

I'd probably switch her soon, just because I think the older they are (at this point), the harder it will be to make the transition because she might be attached to it and not feel as safe in a larger bed...

We switched DD1 when she was 2y4m and sleep went big time downhill from there. We only switched her because she started climbing out every chance she could! I plan on keeping DD2 in her crib as close to her 3rd b-day as possible :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was in a crib until the month before her third birthday.  She also wasn't climbing out and it great in the crib.  We had bought a second crib for DS1 so we didn't need to move to the bed but did with relatively no issues (even took the paci away a few months later : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • While it may not be the norm I'd hardly call it a "major fail"!!

I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp when it comes to sleep for the most part.

You've got a game plan.

I wouldn't stress over it one tiny bit! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Sarah was in her crib until just after her 3rd birthday.  she didn't try to climb out so we didn't change it.  i don't think it's a big deal at all. 
  • Aidan is still in his crib. He loves it, sleeps great, and has never tried to climb out. He turned 3 last week. I'm sure I'll have to think about moving him at some point, but right now, I'm in the camp of not 'fixing' something that isn't broken :)
    Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • I don't think it's a major fail at all! We moved my son from his crib to a twin bed, 2 months after his third birthday. He was very happy in the crib and never tried to climb out. We moved him when we started potty training. Everyone told me that it will be really hard to transition him because he was older, but it was the opposite! He loved his big boy bed too and only got out the first two nights, and transitioned very easily.
  • we moved my daughter when she was 37 months.  i asked her all of the time if she was ready for her big girl bed, and one day she was.  She moved no problem, and has been great since. people gave me crap about it too -but the reality is each of them moved their kids out of cribs when it was convenient for them as parents - not when it was best for the kids.  They all kicked the kids out when they were @ 2 because they needed the crib for the next baby! and most of them ended up with at least temporary sleep regression from the premature transition.  i'm glad we waited - dd loves her big girl bed, and sleeps just as well as she did in the crib.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"