September 2011 Moms
Options

How many of you painted the nursery?

Sooo, did you ladies paint at all, or did you leave it solely up to DH/SO? A co-worker is lecturing me (via text message) about how I shouldn't be painting at all, and should stay away while DH is painting the nursery (which we'll most likely be doing tomorrow). Is this true, or am I allowed to paint in short spurts if we have the windows open and fans going?

PS - Sorry I've been blowing up our board with posts :/ 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many of you painted the nursery?

• Options
    DH does all the painting when I am pregnant.  For me, it just doesn't seem worth the risk to be around the fumes and DH doesn't mind.
                      Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I helped paint - my doc said it was fine.  Just took a lot of breaks, had windows wide open, and fans blowing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's painted in my mind. Well we did actually buy the paint a few weeks ago just been busy with BIL in the hospital and having his 5th surgery today.

I heard you can tell them that you are pregnant and they add something to the paint to make non toxic. So at Lowe's I asked the paint guy if he could add whatever it was and he said that all the paint is low smell/odor or something and it was safe. My DH said I wasn't going to paint anyway but I told him I wanted to have the less smell in the house and he agreed that was probably best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DH did it all.  All we painted was a dresser that we repurposed and the fan blades from the ceiling fan, and he may or may not paint the closet doors once I decide wtf I'm going to do about the closet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I want to paint the nursery really bad. I know how I want to do it and everything! I just need DH to get on board with putting new carpet in there first. This is reason number one why we do not have a nursery set up. I could care less if he helps with the painting. If he wante dto help a bit that would be nice, but not going to be mad if he doesn't. There is a window in there for me to open :)
  • Options
    DH hates painting so a friend and I painted the whole thing. I kept both windows open and the fan going the whole time.
  • Options

Your co-worker is being paranoid. So long as you're not locked in a room with a dozen open paint cans for 10 hours, you'll be fine.

I helped paint both DS1 and DS2's nursery and have had no issues whatsoever from either. And *gasp* we didn't even use no VOC paint -- we used good ol' Valspar from Lowes. We kept the fan going and door open (it was 100+ degrees outside, so we didn't open the window), and I took frequent breaks. No biggie. My former MW and new OB were both fine with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said it wouldn't be a problem for me to paint as long as I took all the precautions (and my hubby even let me use his work mask - he uses it when he's doing auto body/painting a vehicle)...BUT..my bestfriends and mom refused for me to do anything! LOL ! My mom painted for me.  Big Smile
  • Options
    I painted with DH. We had the windows open and a fan going. I took lots of breaks too.
  • Options
    DH sucks at painting...like royally sucks. I'm by no means a pro, but I sometimes wonder how he passed kindergarten finger painting. That being said, he and I painted the first coat together, and I spent a good chunk of time doing the second coat and all of the edges/touch up work. Granted, I did it earlier in my pregnancy but had we waited until now, there's no way I'd trust him to do it and I would still follow the same process.
  • Options
    imageMereou12:

Your co-worker is being paranoid. So long as you're not locked in a room with a dozen open paint cans for 10 hours, you'll be fine.

I helped paint both DS1 and DS2's nursery and have had no issues whatsoever from either. And *gasp* we didn't even use no VOC paint -- we used good ol' Valspar from Lowes. We kept the fan going and door open (it was 100+ degrees outside, so we didn't open the window), and I took frequent breaks. No biggie. My former MW and new OB were both fine with it.

I thought she was being paranoid, but I wanted to make sure. It wasn't something that I thought about asking my MW about, and figured I'd be ok as long as it was well ventilated..until my co-worker brought it up. I don't know what VOC paint is, but we got the Valspar paint from Lowe's as well. 

Thank ladies :) I'll help with the painting, and just tell my co-worker that DH did it all..lol :) 

• Options
    DH painted this baby's nursery, but I helped paint DS' nursery when I was pg with him.  As long as the fumes don't bother you, it's perfectly safe.  And it's perfectly safe for the baby, even if the fumes do make you sick.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Just spend the extra couple bucks and get the good paint with no VOC's. I've painted my master bedroom, LO's room and the main bathroom all during this pregnancy and I'm not worried about it. The people at Sherwin Williams always assure me that it is 100% safe for me.

• Options
    I think it depends on what type of paint you use.  We're using a non-toxic, zero VOC paint so I'm participating here and there.  DH is painting the bedroom and i'm touching up some trim around the house.
  • Options
    I helped with the trim and baseboards and DH painted the walls. We used Olympic no VOC paint, but we usually use that kind. 
  • Options
    We've pretty much had some sort of project going for the past year and a half, so last pregnancy and this time around, yes I've done my fair share of painting. My OB also told me it was ok, just to make sure it was a well-ventialted area and use common sense. And if the fumes get to be too much or anything, ust leave it for DH!
  • Options
    DH and I painted together. We told the guy mixing the paint I was pregnant and he gave us the "safest paint" for me..I forget what he meant by that. And we painted over the course of like 2 weeks to prime and completely finish with paint. Also had the fan on and the window open.
  • Options
    If I had waited for DH to paint it, it still wouldn't be done, and DD was born 2 yrs ago. I did it myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options

DH always does the painting - but that has nothing to do with me being PG and everything to do with him being very particular about painting & any home improvements. He worked as a general contractor while we were in college - so he "knows" the right way

• Options
    I helped although DH did the bulk of the work. I helped fill in the corners and edges and do tape and whatnot. We used low VOC paint and it barely smelled so I wasn't worried.

• Options

imageBlindSheep:
    I helped paint - my doc said it was fine.  Just took a lot of breaks, had windows wide open, and fans blowing.

This exactly!!! I did it all in my first trimester though so physically I was not so round, short of breath, all that stuff... I had the whole nursery complete by 16 weeks lol! When we get home from vaca next week we'll both be painting the master to... providing LO dosent come early!

• Options
    Ok, what is VOC paint? We got the Valspar from Lowe's..We also have to paint our kitchen and living room because of the construction, and I put a little of the sample color we got on the kitchen wall to see if we liked it enough to buy a gallon. I didn't smell anything at all. And I had the little jar in my hand the whole time...Does the VOC make the fumes less?
  • Options
    I did the taping and edging in the nursery.  But we used SW Harmony--which is a no-VOC paint.  DH has done all the other painting since I've gotten to be further along--we're still using Harmony, but he's just worried.  It's cute.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • Options
    I helped paint the nursery with DS.  I used a low odor paint and never had any problems.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageJo&Matt6609:
    Ok, what is VOC paint? We got the Valspar from Lowe's..We also have to paint our kitchen and living room because of the construction, and I put a little of the sample color we got on the kitchen wall to see if we liked it enough to buy a gallon. I didn't smell anything at all. And I had the little jar in my hand the whole time...Does the VOC make the fumes less?

I can't give you a textbook definition of the VOC paint, but it is supposed to be good for both painting (low odor and chemicals) and for after the room is painted.  The fumes and whatnot can stay in the room for like a year or something.  I chose the Harmony paint from SW because of the baby sleeping in there, not because of me painting the room.  

• Options
    imageKK1109:

imageJo&Matt6609:

I can't give you a textbook definition of the VOC paint, but it is supposed to be good for both painting (low odor and chemicals) and for after the room is painted.  The fumes and whatnot can stay in the room for like a year or something.  I chose the Harmony paint from SW because of the baby sleeping in there, not because of me painting the room.  

Thanks! I didn't even know there was such a thing. And I didn't even think about the fumes staying around for a year..I hope the Valspar paint is ok. The last time we painted, I don't remember there being fumes or anything lingering in the air, but who knows. Thanks again! 

• Options

DH is in the process of painting the room now.  He won't let me help and it's driving me bonkers.  I probably could, we got the low or no VOC paint and from what I've been told it's okay for a pregnant woman to be around that kind of paint in short doses.  DH doesn't want to risk it though.

• Options
    I did the big middle sections with a roller.  He did the edges and detail work.  Mostly I watched and kept my DD out of the paint.
  • Options

DH and I painted. The window was open, a fan was going and I wore a cheapo paint mask and took breaks. Just dont eat any paint and you're probably fine.

• Options
    I did all the cutting in the nursery as far up as I could reach and all the lower bits.  No ladders!!!  I also did door frames etc, and while we had windows open and fans etc, I had no reaction to fumes, honestly didn't notice any, the paint was very mild.  I only got dizzy a little from standing looking up for so long. :)
  • Options

I pretty much painted it all by myself. Used low voc paint, kept windows open, and a fan on high. Also, took breaks often and I was completely fine.

ETA: DH  painted the tops where I couldn't reach. I was more worried about standing on a stool than paint fumes! lol

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagemacdidlyicious:

DH and I painted. The window was open, a fan was going and I wore a cheapo paint mask and took breaks. Just dont eat any paint and you're probably fine.

LOL - good pointer! 

• Options
    DH did the painting. He really wanted to. He was feeling a bit left out of the pregnancy and I told him that there was tons of stuff that he can do to help prepare for LO. So now he is doing everything and I am not complaining at all... :)
    image BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    We painted our living room, dining room and nursery. Just make sure that there is good ventilation. 
  • Options
    imageT&HLove:

ETA: DH  painted the tops where I couldn't reach. I was more worried about standing on a stool than paint fumes! lol

Ditto this. I plan on doing most of the room myself, but won't be standing on a ladder so someone will have to do the spots I can't reach!

• Options

I painted with both pregnancies. As you can see Justin has no weird abnormalities :)

Just make sure its well ventilated and like you said, short spurts!

Paint away!

• Options

We're leaving the nursery the color that it was.  But I did help paint DS's Big Boy room.  It was over Father's Day weekend so I wasn't quite so far along.  I wore a mask and we kept the windows open.  The only thing that sucked for me was having back pain from going up and down on the step ladder 1,000 times. 

We used the Home Depot brand of low VOC paint for our bathroom when I was pg last time and I hated it.  So we just used regular Benjamin Moore.

• Options

I helped DH paint...  kept the window open and took lots of breaks, mainly bc I was uncomfortable, not because of the fumes. 

As long as you're not getting high off of it, I'd imagine it can't be that bad.  I figure I probably inhale worse when I drive behind trucks in rush hour.

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • Options

My DH doesn't paint. He's not allowed. I've banned him from ever picking up a roller, brush, can or paint tray ever again. He has no patience and makes the biggest messes and I end up having to go back over it anyway when he's done.

He is allowed to "help". And by "help" I mean he's allowed to roll on the second coat but I have to put paint on the roller and do the first brush on the wall each time. 

Just like with anything else, as long you don't over-do it and it's in a well-ventilated area and you're comfortable with it, go for it. I always make sure the window is open and there is a box fan in the window blowing in fresh air, the doors to the room is open and the ceiling fan is on....with all of this the paint dries a lot faster too. The hardest part about painting while pregnant (for me at least) is climbing on and off the step ladder and bending over to dip the brush in the bucket.

• Options
    I helped paint our nursery, more than anything because my DH HATES painting, and I felt like it was nice that he was even helping lol.  Keep a fan on, and us low VOC paint, and you should be fine.  If the fumes bother you though, stay away!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"