Food Allergy
Options

Need help with my 5 week old

Hello ladies, how are you?  I'm at a loss as to what is going on with my newborn (5 weeks today).  My pediatrician's office has me completely confused.  Here's a quick synopsis...I'd love to know your thoughts.

0-9 days old - fed Enfamil Premium Newborn.  LO was doing a lot of arching his neck back and spiting up/vomiting at around 6 days old.  A very happy, content baby that barely cried.  I was admitted to the hospital at the same due due to post partum preeclampsia, so my husband took LO to the pediatrician at 9 days old to see if he was ok.  Pediatrician said likely reflux and/or sensitivity to milk protein and recommended Soy formula.  I was hospitalized for a week and didn't see LO except once.  So I only know what my mom and husband tell me he was doing....

9-21 days old - fed Enfamil Prosobee.  LO was still arching his neck back, spit up a few times but not that bad, got horribly constipated with pebble like poop.  Baby is very happy except when he's grunting to poop.  My doctor would only allow Karo syrup and an extra 2-4 ounces of water per day.  This did not help so we did the rectal thermometer to stimulate (worked like a charm, but pedi says we can't do it on a regular basis).  Pedi recommends Nutramigen.

~21 - 30 days old - fed Enfamil Nutramigen.  LO still arching neck back, not spitting up as much but horribly gassy and fussing more than usual.  Not a happy baby, but not horrible either.  Saw pedi at one month appointment.  Baby is gaining weight but only at 30th percentile (was 50th at birth).  Says LO might not have milk protein sensitivity and we should try Enfamil AR.

So after that, we bought Enfamil AR.  LO would not eat hardly any of it and it took him forever to eat it.  We switched to level 2 nipples but he still struggled.  Out of frustration and a need to make sure he's getting enough food, I started him back on Enfamil Newborn.  He chows down.  The next day he has baby acne starting on his face. I called the nurse at the office and she said this is normal for a baby his age. Then on Saturday he had green soupy poop (no mucous, no blood).  Same thing today. He's not sleeping well and he's crying a lot.  We're 5 full days back on regular Enfamil. 

So having said all that, I am completely confused if he has 1) a sensitivy to cow's milk proten 2) has acid reflux 3) has both or 4) his body is getting used to all of the changes.

Has anyone gone throught this?  I'm strugging and could use some advice/support.  My preeclampsia and erratic blood pressure (85/55 daily low, 160/100 daily peak) doesn't help because I am exhausted all the time and generally feel pretty crappy.  I just wish I knew what to do to help my LO.  It hurts me that he's in pain....and I'm feeling like I'm doing a terrible job because I can't figure this out.  I'd appreciate any advice. 

Thanks for reading this far (if you've made it this far...)

Re: Need help with my 5 week old

• Options

Holy cow that's a long post.  Yikes.  I don't blame y'all if you don't read this....

but if you do, well, thank you!

• Options
    Is your LO one acid reflux meds?? If not I would asy try that!! It could also be milk/soy allergy that is responding to the Nutramigen and Neocate might be another option but if he isn't on meds for acid reflux yet then I that would be my first route. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, HUGS!!!!

Second, we went through this with our DS without the throwing up. We later found he is severely allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts. The only formula that he can tolerate and still drink, as I could not breast feed, was Similac Isomil Soy. I will say that the constant and frequent switching could cause some tummy upset, so, try to get a soy formula and stick with it for atleast 2 weeks. I used mylicon drops, and don't be afraid to ask your pedi for a reflux medication. That can help with the vomiting and possible stomach irritation. I am so sorry you are going through this. I too had blood presssure issues after birth, not as bad as you, and I know how crappy that can make you feel. Believe me, as he gets older, it will get better. You just have to find the formula that works best for him, and if all else fails, there is alimentum. Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"