Natural Birth
Options

Don't you just love those wide-eyed stares?

Except for the whole "no, not at all" thing? Yeah...

When I have discussed natural birth with people (apart from DH and my mom), they all look at me like I'm crazy. And then they shake their heads with an oh-so-knowing smile, like "Oh, she'll give in and take the medication".

It's not like I don't know that it hurts. Of course it does. But I also know that my body was designed for this and that my body is way smarter than I am. I also am uncomfortable with the idea of drugging up my body in ways that counter what it was designed for and in ways that could potentially harm my baby - who doesn't get to have a say!

This isn't to say anything against people who chose not to do a natural birth. It is absolutely your choice, and most people I know who have used the drugs have turned out fine. But for me, I have never been a fan of medication and avoid it anyway. I especially don't want drugs during childbirth unless there is a true medical emergency - not just if I am uncomfortable. And I wish that people would believe that I can do it! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Don't you just love those wide-eyed stares?

• Options

Yeah I  totally agree!! I don't really mention it to people unless they specifically ask even my good friends. My DH supports me and my mom too. I did get the "uh so you don't want any epidural at all?" comment and judgement from my lovely MIL who is a nurse and always has an opinion. Luckily not many others have asked so I haven't had to deal with it too much. Its nobody else's business but me and DH anyway. My hair lady did that "oh you'll get it, you will have to tell me how long it took" comment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's definitely annoying. Now that I've done it once, there isn't much they can say other than "really?!" with a stunned look lol. I'm happy to tell them that I had an amazing birth with dd and plan on doing it again with this baby. It's nice once you've done it since they can't really say "oh you don't know" because I do :)

I had to keep it to myself for the most part before dd unless it was actually asked and had to just think to myself "ignorant, weak people" when they made those comments. Might not be nice but hell, neither are their comments. Having a support person is huge. Vent away when you need, it always help to not bottle up your frustrations.

Good luck and keep ignoring those people, you will do great. :)

Susanne Ashby PhotographyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can be annoying, but I have also found support in some random places.  DH was complaining to his boss about the length of the Bradley classes.  Turns out, his boss's wife has had 4 natural births and the boss told him to shut up and take the classes because he needed them and would be thankful that he did.
  • Options

Ha! Awesome. Yeah, my MIL and I were randomly talking about childbirth (my DH is one of eight kids, so she knows what she is talking about). She's done it all: natural, induced, epidural. We're telling her that I'm pregnant on Thursday, so I am sure I'll at least get her support. 

My mom was so funny when I said I wanted to be natural. She said "well, if you didn't take any pain medication after your breast reduction, you'll at least be all right for the first half for sure". She had epidurals with me and my brother, but neither actually worked, for whatever reason...which also makes me think it would just be a waste of money if I bothered. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"