Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

GBS + Mamas (past and present) Come In, especially Boston area

Hello! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions and loved their OB/Midwife.

My first baby was born with Group B Strep sepsis, pneumonia and meningitis and spent time in the BWH NICU. This was so difficult for me especially because we followed the CDC protocol to a T- we came in within an hour of my water breaking, was treated for 10 hrs in labor with antibiotics etc.. yet she still came out so sick. I was sent home from L& D 3 days prior 4 cm dilated, 100% effaced. In my opinion (and what seems to be my OB's along with every nurse I've encountered) is that there was a leak that was ignored. My OB has completely shut me out and is suddenly so distant not even answering regular questions. I don't think that I can go back there and said that they won't do anything differently next time.With that said, I absolutely cannot say enough wonderful things about the BWH NICU.. I do not want to deliver anywhere else.

Can anyone recommend a provider they thought was especially diligent and careful with treatment??

Also-does anyone know anyone else with a baby that was born sick due to GBS?? I feel like we are the only ones I know.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. :)

Re: GBS + Mamas (past and present) Come In, especially Boston area

• Options

I am from Ohio so I can only tell you my experience. I was GBS+ and treated, no issues with DD. But I work in a childrens hospital and we do see once in a while kids that are admitted even though the mom was treated.

Can you speak with your doctor about your concerns? Is there anyone else in the practice? I am sure other doctors deliver at your hospital. Personally (but I also have NICU/Peds experience in my professional life) asked a ton of questions before I went with my doctor. I asked after my water broke when would we do a c-section if the baby was not out 2. How long past due would he let me go? 3. GBS+ questions. Anyways you get the idea. We agreed on things and glad I went with him. Remember you are your childs only voice.

BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    mopsiemopsie member
    I loooooved my OB, Dr. Marc Kobelin.  I delivered at Beth Israel and while he wasn't the one who delivered me, I felt that he was very on top of everything and I felt comfortable calling him with any questions.  If you're insistent on BWH, let me know - my friend is an OB and I can get some recommendations from her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, she is probably the most compassionate in the practice and she was not the one who delivered DD, another doc did- but seems to be in defense of all of his decisions. She will not give me any answers.. only once she said "well, what did the NICU nurses say?"... and I replied that they thought my water had broken when I was sent home, so she said "Well maybe that's what happened then". She was extremely cautious in what she was saying, almost like she was afraid of a lawsuit coming out of it. I experienced some PTSD from the NICU experience and going back to that practice provokes some of that, so I don't think I really want to stay there. I think your suggestion on interviewing or questioning the providers beforehand is so helpful.

Silly question... Do you know if you pay a regular copay for these interviews?

• Options
    I was happy with Dr. Economy. She's in Maternal Fetal Medicine at BWH.  Good luck!  (Oh, but there were definitely some long wait times in her office...)
  • Options
    Hey there. Not sure where in the area you are- but I LOVE mine.. Dr. Stacy Wessman at Crowne OBGYN in Quincy.. she's amazing!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"