March 2012 Moms
Options

Any Natural Birth Ladies?

I posted this on the natural birth board too but wanted to see if any of you ladies on my home board are in similar situations or if your a second time natural birth mommy if you have any advice.  Thanks!

I want to have a natural birth.  I have always wanted this.  I mean I knew that when the time came this is what I wanted before I even met my husband and all of that.  My mom went natural with both me and my brother and I've always known that's what I want.  Now that we are expecting our first I still want this and changed from Tri-Care Prime to Tri-Care Standard specifically so I can have a CNM and use a birthing center as opposed to taking my chances and hoping the Army doc on call that day is supportive of natural birth.

Now, I'm a nurse and I have worked NICU, Postpartum, and a helped a little in L&D here and there.  So I understand more than the average person that there can be crazy circumstances that can make a natural birth unrealistic for some people.  So far I am a very low risk pregnancy and I plan on doing all I can to stay that way.

So, now that we have started telling a few people we are pregnant all I keep hearing is how great the epidural is and how much I will love pain meds.  I try to explain that we are planning a natural delivery and don't plan on using any of those things.  These women all say I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about.  On the one hand I have never been through birth before like these women have, on the other hand I know my body and my pain tolerance and what my body in capable of.  So, how do you respond to these people with out them just thinking you're ignorant and you'll change your mind when labor comes?  So far I've just kinda let people think that I plan to keep my options open just in case.  That's not really true but it's easier than arguing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Any Natural Birth Ladies?

• Options
    I'm in the same boat as you.  I really really want to try to go natural, but my healthplan does not support birthing centers and I will get whatever random OB is on hospital duty at the time of birth.  I was thinking the other day of looking into hiring a doula to help me focus on my goal and to help stand up for me with whatever doc I get.  So far I do not have any better answers than you do.  It seems like people feel strongly about needing drugs, for me it has not been something worth arguing about.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    NimakNimak member

I am glad you posted this thread, my ideal birth is a natural water birth, but I am honestly terrified I will not be able to handle the pain.  I know that if I make the decision to go this way there is no turning back.  I am keeping my options open for a couple more months before I make the final decision and I am really interested to see what everyone's response to you is.

H&H 9 months

Kudos to you and your birthing plan! 

BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just like to smile and nod. I have an additional issue of needing a vbac this time. My daughter was born via scheduled csection because the growth u/s measured her to be over 11lbs. I know now how inaccurate growth u/s are and will not be falling into that trap this time. Still, finding a doctor that will do a vbac in my area has been impossible... Good luck! You'll do great :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Options

yay another natural mommy!!! 

1.  GET A DOULA!!

the second thing i would recommend is that you don't discuss your birthing plans with ppl who aren't going to be supportive.  for some strange reason some women who had pain meds view what you are saying as if you think your way is better than what they chose and they are wrong.  i, personally, don't agree with that.  i think that women should have choices and if they choose pain meds that's great because it was their choice. 

anywho, is your birthing center attached to a hosp or free standing?  either way you can always start there and then if at some point you decide that you cannot handle the pain anymore you can always go to the hosp for meds.  the mw's are not going to hold you hostage.  that way you know that you always have options, choices. 

i have attended hundreds of out of hospital births and i am planning one for myself, if i can keep my blood pressure down.  i would tell you that like any other major decision in your life, like buying a house/car you need to do your research.  read as much as you can get your hands on.  please come and participate on the natural birth board, you will learn a lot!  take a natural child birth class, maybe hypnobirthing, hypnobabies, bradley...etc.  get to some La Leche League meetings if possible. 

surround yourself with positive like-minded people and don't buy into the fears of what if.  studies have shown that for low risk, healthy women out of hospital birth is just as safe or safer than being in the hospital.  do your research on your mw's, ask for references, ask other natural mom's who they used, interview as many as you have in your area.  ask them lots of questions and make sure you feel comfortable with them.

be viligent about your diet.  i have a good one if you are interested.  if you stick to it your chances of GD, pre-e, anemia and most other complications of pg are really small.  get yourself on a high quality prenatal vitamin, one that you take 3-4 times per day.  the reason is that if you only do the one-a-day type you only have that one shot to absorb the vitamins.  as you know certain vits are water soluable and you will pee out what you don't need.  throughout the day your needs change, so therefore it is better if you are taking it multiple times a day.  a separate calcium magnesium supplement is also a good idea.  and last but not least...water water water.  as i've said before shoot for half your body weight in ounces of water per day.  ex: if you weigh 150lbs you want to try to get 75oz of water in per day.  as you get further along this number will increase and you will want to add 30oz for baby. 

ok, so OBVIOUSLY this is my passion and i can go on and on about it.  i love to discuss natural birth and all of the things that go with it.  please consider getting a doula!  they are truly wonderful women who do an amazing job. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageNimak:

I am glad you posted this thread, my ideal birth is a natural water birth, but I am honestly terrified I will not be able to handle the pain.  I know that if I make the decision to go this way there is no turning back.  I am keeping my options open for a couple more months before I make the final decision and I am really interested to see what everyone's response to you is.

H&H 9 months

no no no, you are never stuck with a decision.  you can change your mind at any time.  women have attempted a home birth and then changed their mind during labor and decided to go to the hosp for pain meds.  don't feel trapped! 

• Options
    NimakNimak member
    imageTexas77again:
    imageNimak:

H&H 9 months

no no no, you are never stuck with a decision.  you can change your mind at any time.  women have attempted a home birth and then changed their mind during labor and decided to go to the hosp for pain meds.  don't feel trapped! 

Thanks, that does make me feel better, I was concerned about being trapped and I have just started doing my research and making my list of questions.  I have a dr appt on the 11th and I am going to discuss this some more with them as well. 

BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    If you want to do it you will be able. You just have to ignore all the neigh sayers. With my first I never really talked to anyone about it but by now everyone just knows I will be going without pain mess and will do what I can to not be induced.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • Options

Just don't listen to all the people that say how great pain meds are!  Everyone's perception, experience and pain thereshold are different.  Plus if you've been planning a natural birth for so long, you already are planning to deal with pain.

I just respond by smiling, and then changing the subject--what they say won't change my mind right now.

For my DS I planned an all natural birth, and had a CNM, but was pressured to be induced at 41w.  The induction went smoothly, and I labor without pain meds for 18 hours--but finally got an epi at 4am after being stuck at 9cm for 6 hours.  An hour after that DS's heartrate started dropping with contractions (a side effect of epi) and I was rushed for a csection.

My advice--make sure your CNM and nurses are 100% supportive of natural birth.  Do a lot of research/reading about pain meds and their side effects--especially an epi because there are a LOT of possible side effects, and make sure you and your support person (DH, friend, mom, etc) know as many different positions/pain relieving techniques as possible.  And lastly, get a doula, it is the biggest thing I regret about DS's birth.

This time 'round I have a CPM and will had LO at a home (not ours because we live 30+ minutes from a hospital) or birth center.  My midwife doesn't give pain meds, but has 30 years experience and will help in any/every way to help me through pain.  Plus not being induced should help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    Same boat here! This is my first, but I have known for a long time that I wanted to go natural. My plan so far is to not really discuss it with anyone because I know there are many, many naysayers out there. If anyone decides to tell me how great epidurals are, etc., I plan to just nod and smile and not mention that I don't plan on getting one. I have a good friend who has had 2 natural births, so she is my support person that I can go to to talk about it. Otherwise, I don't really plan on letting anyone know about my plan until after I have successfully carried it out. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I think I'm going to continue to only answere questions if they are asked and just smile and nod at those who think the only way to do it is with meds.  As long as I know I can do it that's really all that counts.  And then once I have done it naturally I'll have a leg to stand on next time around when they all start up with how great the drugs are.  It's nice to know there are others of you ladies out there who feel the same way!  Thanks!  And good luck to all of you with your birth plans, I know we can do it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We faced a lot of issues with other's opinions the first time around. I got a lot of, "ok, we'll see."

My response? Just smile and nod.  I tried to explain my issues with the birthing industry to some and it mostly fell on deaf ears.  Plus, it's good practice.  You will get a lot of advice and judgements on your parenting/pregnancy decisions, you just have to learn to let it roll.

And most importantly? Sometimes you just don't need to get into it.  Some things are okay to just keep to yourself if you know it's going to cause an issue!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Due 3.1.12
    Levi 7.26.09
    Wood you? Wood too!
  • Options
    I had an epi with my son, but my sister (who was due 2 weeks after me) went natural. --->In a Navy Hospital on Tricare Prime, so it is possible. She was turned away a few times while in labor because of faulty machinery that didn't accurately track the strength of her contractions... even though she was 4 cm. By the time she was admitted she was about 6 cm. She said labor was the hardest part, and her H helped by telling her to relax through each contraction, which helped. ("Relax your face, Relax your neck, Relax your shoulders," etc.) She doesn't even remeber pushing.
  • Options

We are going for a natural birth this time.  I know sometimes at my job, when someone is pregnant, it comes up and so many people tell them to have the drugs.  A male teacher last time said to take the drugs.  Really--because you know personally what labor is.  Just because your wife wanted them, doesn't me I want them or whomever is pregnant wants them. 

I plan to smile and nod when people say things.  If this teacher says something I will ignore to the best of my ability.  He even went so far as to say that you don't get a cookie for going without drugs.  That pissed me off to no end.  

• Options

As someone who really prepared for a med-free/intervention-free (I personally think that ALL births are natural and have an issue with that term) birth but ended up getting some interventions AND an epidural, you just do what is right for you.  Who cares what anyone else says?  They won't be the one pushing your baby out their vag.  You get to make your own decisions.  Surround yourself with people who support those decisions and just ignore those who don't.     

Also, for what it's worth, I will be doing everything in my power to avoid getting an epidural again.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

OP--If you want to go drug-free, go for it.  That's the way the vast majority of babies in this world are delivered and it is certainly what our bodies were designed for.

I am a pediatrician and have been in the delivery room for hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands?) of deliveries.  The reason people in the hospital (or people who have delivered both with and without pain meds) try to get you to consider it, is that delivery actually appears far more pleasant for women with epidurals.  Again, this is only from my observation of hundreds of deliveries, but usually the women without epidurals are crying "I can't do this, get it out of me" and the women with epidurals are smiling and talking to their husbands.  I only remember being present for one natural delivery where there was not a ridiculous amount of crying and screaming, that woman was delivering her 6th baby and it only took 1 hour of labor and a couple of pushes.  

I am totally pro-natural birth, if that is what you want.  Go for it!  I'm sure you'll be fine.  If you are afraid you won't be able to stick to your plan, get a doula to advocate for you.  The people in the hospital are not drug pushers (what do they care if you are in pain?), they are only trying to make you more comfortable, so if you don't want that, just make it clear and you'll be fine.

• Options

This is our 3rd baby and I'm "researching my options".  With my 1st, I had the epidural, but there were some complications.  It went backwards and I went numb from head to toe and couldn't breathe.  Once they dialed down the meds (alot!), and we got everything under control, it was great!  I was completely aware of everything that was going on, and I was in a great state of mind and able to actively participate in the birth of our son.  With our 2nd, we tried the epidural again but, once again had complications.  This time it took them over an hour to place it, then it went backwards again, but this time the anesthesiologist just turned it off instead of dialing it down.  When the meds wore off, the anesthesiologist was no where to be found.  So baby girl was delivered all natural.  Honestly, it was awful.... I was in so much pain that I couldn't participate, I could barely pick up what my doc was saying.  All I could think about was getting the baby out as fast as possible.  Then postpartum, I was in so much pain that I couldn't even hold her. Just supporting her weight was too much for me.  Daddy, 2 Grandmas, 1 Grandpa and an Aunt got to hold MY baby before me.  Both deliveries were so quick tho that I'm looking into other options for pain management.  My hope is to find something that works for me so I can be aware of what is going on, and stil actively participate in the birth. 

BabyFruit Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options

imageFergie+1:
    I had an epi with my son, but my sister (who was due 2 weeks after me) went natural. --->In a Navy Hospital on Tricare Prime, so it is possible. She was turned away a few times while in labor because of faulty machinery that didn't accurately track the strength of her contractions... even though she was 4 cm. By the time she was admitted she was about 6 cm. She said labor was the hardest part, and her H helped by telling her to relax through each contraction, which helped. ("Relax your face, Relax your neck, Relax your shoulders," etc.) She doesn't even remeber pushing.

I know it can be done at a military hospital but I guess I just feel like I will have to fight for it more there and if I have the option of going somewhere where the staff supports me and I don't have to fight for what I want it will a be a little more positive of an experience.  Especially since its my first.  Maybe next time around if I am able to go natura this time I'll feel more confident going where ever and still getting what I want.  I'm glad your sister was able to have a good experience with it at the Navy hospital though.

• Options
    imageHSartteach:

We are going for a natural birth this time.  I know sometimes at my job, when someone is pregnant, it comes up and so many people tell them to have the drugs.  A male teacher last time said to take the drugs.  Really--because you know personally what labor is.  Just because your wife wanted them, doesn't me I want them or whomever is pregnant wants them. 

I plan to smile and nod when people say things.  If this teacher says something I will ignore to the best of my ability.  He even went so far as to say that you don't get a cookie for going without drugs.  That pissed me off to no end.  

OMG!  Her seriously said that!?  I think in my pregnancy induced hormonal state I would have a hard time not punching him for a jerk comment like that!  That or making some smart comment along the lines of "No Vagina, No Opinion."  You're a better person than I am!  Good luck with your plans and hopefully that guy learns to mind his own business.

• Options

If this baby sticks I totally want to have a home birth.  From what I've read and seen, I think the number one mistake for first timers (which includes myself on this front) is underestimation of the pain.  I "think" you need to be confident in yourself and KNOW that you can do anything for 1 minute.  

BigM 

• Options
    I'm planning on a natural birth this time as well.  My epidural didn't work the first time and I was stuck in the bed with a lot of pain.  I want to broaden my options of being able to ease labor pain (walking, tub, etc.).  I'm going to possibly hire a doula that my doctor has recommended.
  • Options
    This is so funny that this was brought up today! This soooo happened to me this past weekend. It was like the naked dream... I said I would like to shoot for a natural birth, but wasn't sure because of the twins, but I would at least like to try.... Literally like a crowd of people laughing at me. I couldn't believe it. Also If I hear one more time, if you don't have drugs you can't enjoy it. It's labor... not a movie. I'm pretty sure when it's over I'll be just as happy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"