January 2012 Moms
Options

Moms having their 2nd (or 3rd or 4th etc...) child

If you don't mind sharing:

1. How old is your child (or children)?

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?

3. How did you tell him/her/them?

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance- I haven't told my little one yet, not sure when or how to do it, and a little worried about the reaction I'm going to get- my little one is a bit older and very used to being the only child (and loves it). 

Sorry if this is a repeat of a post you've seen before- I am new to the board.

Thanks ladies!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Moms having their 2nd (or 3rd or 4th etc...) child

• Options

This is my second. My current baby is only 14 (almost 15 months) and has no idea what's going on. I think she has some type of feeling that things are different but she really has no awareness of what is going on.

Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• Options
    My dd is 20 months and she knows there is a baby in my belly b/c I tell her and she kisses my bump, but does she have any idea there will be a baby in our house 24/7 in 6 months no she has no idea..sorry I can't be any help!
    Taylor Annalee 12/1/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Sean Thomas 1/26/2012 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Angel Baby missed m/c 2/17/11, D&E 2/18/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is only 15 months old (will be 21 months when baby is born) so he has no clue that his life will be changing in January! He doesn't get jealous when I hold other children as of yet, but I can see that changing the older he gets. He has a very good temperament and seems to adjust well to change, so we're lucky there. We'll see how this baby changes the dynamics though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagerockmommy12:

1. How old is your child (or children)? 2

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? yes, but I don't think he understands

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We've talked about it with him since we found out...we also take him to appts and he has seen 2 ultrasounds.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? It was probably 5 to 6 weeks

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? "Do you want a new baby in the family?" No. "Are you going to be a good big Brother?"  hmm....NO!  Now he responses better when we talk about it.

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specifi c reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance- I haven't told my little one yet, not sure when or how to do it, and a little worried about the reaction I'm going to get- my little one is a bit older and very used to being the only child (and loves it). 

Thanks ladies!

• Options
    imagerockmommy12:

1. How old is your child (or children)? DS is 4 (almost 5)

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? Yes

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We waited until after our U/S at 8 weeks and showed him the pictures.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? 8 weeks

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He was so excited. He has been asking for a sibling for a really long time.

Thanks ladies!

• Options
    I have 18 month old twins and am 18 weeks pg now. I haven't told them. I don't know if they would really understand right now and I just don't think they need to know at this point. Telling them now would be solely for my benefit - it would do them no good. December is so far away in their world. I plan on telling them either when I'm huge or maybe sometime in the fall.
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)?  DD is 2

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? I've told her and we talk about the baby in mommy's tummy but I really don't think she gets it.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We told her right away, the day after we found out (she was sleeping when I POAS).  However she outted us to our DCP a little sooner than we would have liked :)

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? 4w5d

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? she's too young to get it :)

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing? The only reason I've thought of from my experience to waiting is don't tell them until you want the news broadcast everywhere.  Depending on the age of the child the won't be able to keep a secret, let alone understand what a secret is. 

Goodluck! Sorry, my answers were probably not that helpful to you!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? My girls are 7, 8 and 10.5

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? yes they do Smile

3. How did you tell him/her/them? I gave my youngest DD a shirt that said "Im going to be a big sister" It took her a second to get it but then she said "But Im not a big....ooohhhh" lol Stick out tongue

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? I was about 9 weeks pregnant. I had 4 previous MCs and wanted to make it past the "mark."

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? My oldest 2 DDs were very excited. My youngest DD was a little unsure about it. She LOVES being the "baby" She is the only kid I know that DOESNT want to grow up!

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing? I waited for the reason stated.

• Options
    1. How old is your child (or children)?  11, 13, 152. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?  yes3. How did you tell him/her/them?  My kids are old enough that we just sat them down and said "guess what...you're going to have a new brother or sister!"  (And a month later..."guess what...you're going to have TWO new siblings...it's twins!")
    4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?  7 weeks5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?  Oddly enough, my kids were already in "baby-mode" because their dad (my ex) and his wife found out they were expecting just a couple of weeks before we did.  (We're both due in January.)  The kids are excited, although I feel bad that they have to deal with 2 crazy hormonal pregnant women at the same time.  LOL
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? They are 2yrs and 3?yrs

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? Yes they do.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We happened to be going out to dinner on the coast that night so we waited until we were down on the beach and just told them Mama had a baby growing in her tummy that after Christmas would be born and live in our house with us.  They were more excited about the beach.  Smile

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? 8w4d, we waited until after my first appt to find out how far alone I was.  I was already starting to show and we wanted to tell them before telling other people.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? They're very excited, they talk about the baby pretty much every day (where it will sit, who will change the diapers, who will throw the diapers away, where another carseat will go, etc)

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing? -

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    1. How old is your child (or children)?  13 months2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?  he has no idea although I keep telling him "baby" and rubbing my belly or trying to teach him her name. I really wanted my children to be a little further apart in age and I feel really bad that my son won't be an only child for much longer (I LOVE being able to give him my undivided attention) but I'm hoping since they will be so close in age that it will be an easier adjustment then if he was older and could really grasp how much life will change. And to the PP Starlillee- that's crazy! 3 new half siblings within weeks of eachother- how exciting! 
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)?  I have one child and she is 5 years old.

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?  Yes, she knows there is another baby on the way.

3. How did you tell him/her/them?  I told her that she was going to be a big sister and a new baby will be joining our family. 

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?  She found out when I was 9 weeks because we told MH's family at a gamily get together and she was there.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?  She is super excited.  She has been asking for a little brother or sister for the past year.  She can't wait!

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing?  n/a

• Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? 31 months (wow, I never say actual months - took me a second to figure how many months he is! lol)

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? Yes, but I don't think he really knows what it means.

3. How did you tell him/her/them?  We told him there is a baby in mama's belly, etc.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? Probably around 6-8 weeks. If he was older and would really 'get' it, I would have waited. As it is, he would have no idea that something happened if I m/c (as I did in the past - and he already knew about that one too) and we didn't end up with another baby. I would probably wait until the a/s to tell an older child.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? nothing - he doesn't really understand

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing?

• Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? 3 next week and 14 months

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? My three year old does but not the 14 month old.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We told him that he was going to to have another little brother or sister.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? about 5 weeks.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He has been so excited.  He has named the baby Henry and always tells me what Henry is doing in my belly.  

E-8/9/08, A-6/7/10, W-1/11/12
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? 17 months now (will be 23 months with this next one is born)

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? We talk about it a lot, but I know a lot is lost on him at this point.  He does pat my growing belly a lot and has started cuddling with me more (usually sitting on top of my bump).

3. How did you tell him/her/them? We talk about having a new baby and tell him he's going to be a big brother.  We mention the baby in mommy's tummy a lot.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? about 7 weeks, after we had an u/s and saw the heartbeat.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He's ambivalent at this point. LOL He has no idea what's coming.  He knows that mommy's tummy is growing and that's really it.

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • Options
    sherpasherpa member
    My son is 2. He knows. We told him by saying he was going to have a new job that was very important - that he was going to be a big brother. We explained that I was growing a baby in my body and when the baby was done growing it would come live with us and move into the room down the hall from him.  I was 6 weeks when we told him. He cheered and was super excited.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? I have a 4 year old DD and a 2 year old DS.

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? yep

3. How did you tell him/her/them? DD had been asking for another sibling so DH just whispered to the kids that mommy had a baby in her tummy.  We wouldn't have told them quite then, but DH's cousin who is more like a sister to him was living in Argentina and getting ready to travel Europe for the summer so she wouldn't be available by skype/phone like she was in Argentina.  So we told her before she left to travel and wanted the kids to know before her.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? 5 weeks.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? DD has been VERY excited.  We've taken her to my NT and will be taking her to the a/s.  She loves talking about what we'll name the baby and if it's a boy/girl.  DS could care less.  He'll ask me occassionally "baby in your tummy?" but that's about the most he acknowledges it.
    DD- 7/22/07 DS- 4/22/09 DS #2- 1/11/12
  • Options
    BFab11BFab11 member
    I have one child, he's 14 months old and doesn't know what's going on. I think he's just too young to get it.
  • Options
    This is my third. I have an almost 5 year old and a 3 year old. We told them after the first ultrasound. My daughter is over the moon excited. My son understands too, but is more ambivalent about the whole idea.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
  • Options

imageWaiting4myJulyBaby:

And to the PP Starlillee- that's crazy! 3 new half siblings within weeks of eachother- how exciting! 

Yes, it's definitely crazy.  I'm just glad she hasn't found the January 2012 board....that would be awkward!  ;) 

• Options
    1. How old is your child (or children)?3 1/2 2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?Yes3. How did you tell him/her/them? I told him that I was growing a baby for him inside my belly and he's gone to ever appt with me. I also had talked to him about having a baby in his life for months before we got pg to see what his reaction was 4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?one month 5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?He was so excited!! I'm not sure if he really cares that he'll have a brother but he is super excited that it means he will becoming a BIG BROTHER 6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing?
  • Options

This is #3

1. How old is your child (or children)? DS will be 4 in Oct, DD just turned 2

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? DS knows. He kisses my belly and says there is a kitty in there!

3. How did you tell him/her/them? I was just laying in bed with him one night and I told him he was going to get another baby like his sister

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? Around 8 weeks

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? It took him a little while to get it but then he was excited and told every person, including strangers that I had a baby in my tummy. He would ask about it all the time and when it would come out

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    imagerockmommy12:

1. How old is your child (or children)? 1 and 2

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? my 2 year old knows.  He is starting to remember things from his little brother and the other day he came and hugged my belly and kissed it.  I haven't even made a big deal about it and he did it on his own.  Of course my 1 yo has no clue.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? I didn't.  But when he kissed my belly, I just replied with, "You kissed the baby.  Mama has a baby in there huh?  You're gonna have another little brother or sister soon."  Don't know how much he gets, but he does get it.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? I think he did it within the last two weeks so I guess 15-16 weeks.  I'm very obviously pregnant.  I was huge with my first so I guess I will have a huge belly again because I really look about 6 months pregnant.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He's pretty young so he just looked at me and smiled. 

6. If you haven't told your child(ren) yet, is there a specific reason why that you wouldn't mind sharing? n/a

None of this probably helped since you are in a very different situation and my children are so young. 

Thanks ladies!

• Options

1. How old is your child (or children)?  3 years old

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?  Yes he does

3. How did you tell him/her/them?   he went to our ultrascreen ultrasound

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?  11w5d

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?   he told me and husband that they were looking for poop in my belly!! now he's just confused because we had a m/c in january and keeps telling me that the angels took the baby! He'll eventually get it when there is a screaming baby in his room!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imagerockmommy12:

1. How old is your child (or children)? 2 1/2, He'll be 3 in November.

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? He does. I'm not sure how much he understands, but he knows.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? The morning I took the test, I waited for him and DH to wake up. I had a big brother shirt laid out for DH to put on him and realize what it said. He then told DS he was going to be a big brother and there was a baby in Mommy's tummy, so he kind of spilled it all then and there.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? see above

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He was still really tired and said , "Ew yucky, I don't want to be a big brother!" Since then he liked the idea of a baby, but didn't want to be called a big brother. Now he is agreeable to the idea and kisses my belly, talks/sings to the baby, and covers the baby (covers my belly with blankets) many times a day. I'm still not sure how much he "gets" but we talk about it regularly, read books about babies, etc. He still doesn't understand that this baby won't be ready to talk and play when it comes out, though!

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? 3 years 4 months

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? Oh yes!! Told him around 6 weeks b/c he likes to be a little rough while playing so I decided to tell him why he had to be careful with mommy.

3. How did you tell him/her/them? I told him that there was a baby in mommy's belly and that in Jan the baby would come out. When I got the first ultrasound I showed him the picture. Just had the NT scan so now it looks like a real baby and he liked showing everyone where the baby's eyes are.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them? around 6 weeks

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? He was a little unsure at first and he wanted to play with the baby, it was hard for him to understand that we had to wait. He also thinks that he's having a baby brother. And if you say it's a baby sister he will say "no, sorry, I'm having a baby brother." My SIL and BFF are also pregnant, and he says SIL is having a boy (just confirmed via u/s that it's a boy), BFF is having a girl and we're having a boy...maybe he knows something that we don't!

Married July 2006

MC Feb 2009 8 weeks

MC Dec 2009 8 weeks

MC Oct 2013 8 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD turned 2 in April. We told her right away that there is a "baby in Mommy's belly," although I doubt she realizes that a real baby will be coming home with us in 6 months. She will talk to the baby and kiss my belly. :) And she already insists that its a "stister."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

1. How old is your child (or children)? I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby? Yes, but I don't think she quite gets it.

3. How did you tell him/her/them?  I keep telling her that there's a baby in my belly and she's going to be a big sister/have a little brother.  She points at my belly and says "there's a baby in there"  But like I said, I don't think she really gets it.

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?  Right after I took the test, lol.  I had her tell daddy that she was going to be a big sister.

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)? She gets excited, but I think when baby is here she will be jealous of sharing mommy/daddy.

• Options

1. How old is your child (or children)?

DD = 17

DS = 11 

2. Do he/she/they know you are having another baby?

Yes 

3. How did you tell him/her/them?

Just sat down with them & told them I was pregnant

4. How far along were you when you told him/her/them?

14 weeks

5. What was his/her/their reaction(s)?

They were shocked, DD was upset for a day, now they are excited.

NA

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"