March 2011 Moms

flying alone- help!

help! how do i do this? carseat/stroller-securty?? luggage? how do i go to the bathroom? taxis? rental car? two seats or one? ACK!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: flying alone- help!

• hkg80hkg80 member
    I flew by myself with my baby a few weeks ago, and I have to admit, it was really difficult.  It would have been much more difficult if kind strangers had not helped me carry items, store overhead luggage, etc.  When I got to security, I already had a screaming baby, and I had to fold up the stroller to send it through the scanner, pull my laptop out, and open my bottle of breastmilk for them to examine.  Plus, my normally good-tempered baby screamed at the gate and screamed on the plane.  I felt like everyone was looking at me thinking, "I hope I'm not sitting next to them." I'm flying again in a few weeks, and have been trying to think about what I could do differently to make it easier, and honestly, I don't know what the answer is yet.  Good  luck!  And if anybody else has good ideas, I would love to hear those also!
  • frlcbfrlcb member

The best suggestion is to minimalize what you need to bring, which I know is easier said than done. I would not get your baby a seat, and would check your car seat with the luggage (we do this all the time and have never had a problem). Wear your baby, and bring as few things as possible - but bring more diapers than you think you need, just in case. 

I fly often and never have a problem - and just remember you are only human and everyone was a baby once! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • agytayagytay member
    imagefrlcb:

The best suggestion is to minimize what you need to bring, which I know is easier said than done. I would not get your baby a seat, and would check your car seat with the luggage (we do this all the time and have never had a problem). Wear your baby, and bring as few things as possible - but bring more diapers than you think you need, just in case. 

I fly often and never have a problem - and just remember you are only human and everyone was a baby once! 

Totally agree with the bolded part. I flew alone with LO at 4 months. I took only the minimum necessities for both me and LO. I packed one time, then totally unpacked and took half of what I originally packed. I nixed the laptop, and checked in a bag at the gate (free with delta credit card). I only brought the snap and go with car seat, the baby carrier, and a carryon/diaper bag. I checked the car seat/snap n' go at the gate and only had LO, an under the seat carryon and the baby carrier on the plane.

It really wasn't that bad. Just give yourself A LOT more time than you normally would. If you can help it, go to the bathroom before you get on the plane and don't drink anything on the plane until you are close to landing. People will be nice enough to help you, but go in with the expectation that you will need to do it on your own.

Regarding diapers, I actually underpacked for the trip and as soon as I landed went to a CVS and bought more. Depending on the age of the baby, I can't imagne needing more than 6 pairs of diapers for a 4 hour flight.

Good luck! It really is more stressful thinking about it than actually just diving in to do it.

• I checked everything and put LO in the egro and only brought what would fit in the diaper bag on board.  It wasn't that bad and the airline people were very helpful.  I only had one seat and LO sleep the whole way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"