Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Horrible Diaper Rash

DS has a horrible rash. He has had it since last night. DH thinks it is 3rd degree burn status. DS cried when we have to wipe or change him. What are some remedies that you use to help your LO's? We usually use Desitin and baby powder, but it looks like he will need a nice long soaking. Any suggestions?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Horrible Diaper Rash

• Options

I would use ret washcloths to wipe instead of soapy wipes, and let his bottom air dry as much as possible. And be sure you're changing him often.

We use Triple Paste when DD gets a rash, but Desitin should help too. We've never used powder on DD.  

• Options
    My DD had a horrible diaper rash too. I spoke with her pedi. He said: use soft wet washcloths instead of wipes, keep the diaper off as much as possible and use A&D instead of Desitin. The A&D really worked and didn't burn like the Desitin did. Because its all natural, you can use it all the time, even after the rash has healed. You can find it near Desitin in the store. He told us to buy the original, not the other type they offer. Hope your DS feels better soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used a mixture of lotrimin, a&d ointnment and malox.  Call your pedi or a pharmacy for the recipe because I cant recall the amount of malox.  We really like anti money butt rash cream and powder but you cant get easily until Aug 5th when walgreens will begin to carry.
  • Options
    DS has had a horrible diaper rash the last few days, too.  I've been using Butt Paste and a thick layer of Vaseline over it.  It's cleared it up to almost gone in about 48 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If it's that bad and that painful, it may be yeast and/or bacterial and require Rx treatment. We've been using a combo of Riley butt paste and bactroban ointment for a combo yeast + strep rash.
  • Options
    I think Triple Paste works the best.  DS is prone to diaper rashes.  Also, fill the tub with a few inches of water & put baking soda in it (enough to make the water feel silky) and sit your LO in it as long as he will stay.  If my DS has bad rash I will do this several times a day.  Also, it may be a yeast infection & need a prescription.  We had Nystop (nystatin powder) at the house at all times.
  • Options
    kaay16kaay16 member
    My LO has a diaper yeast infection right now.  I thought it was just a really bad diaper rash but when it turned like beef red we brought her to the doctor and it's a yeast infection.  No butt cream will help it so shes on prescription cream and after just a day of using it I can already see it clearing up.  So if it's "third degree burn" looking I'd definately go to the ped just to make sure it's not yeast because yeast untreated will just continue to get worse and/or infected.  :) Good luck. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

If it looks that bad I would take him in.

It might not be diaper rash.

• Options
    My oldest broke out in this horrible rash after we gave him milk for the first time and used burts butt paste and corn starch, the corn starch works wonders.  It makes a mess getting it on but cleared the rash in days.  We would pour it all over and then some in the diaper then put it on. He went from screaming and crying so hard to being content after a day of doing this about 5 times, I also didn't do a lot of wiping unless he pooped during the day and it worked for us. 
    10 MONTHS APART AND LOVIN IT! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Aquaphor and naked time. If the rash is super bad desitin seems to irritate it more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"