Breastfeeding
Options

Recommend your pump

I was originally planning to rent a pump, as DH's insurance covers the cost.  However, the two places we have to rent it from in town will not file with my insurance.  Whatever.

So, I'm thinking it might make more sense to purchase one.  I haven't researched them yet, since I was thinking I'd take what the pharmacy had, but now that I may have options, I'd like to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your pump

• Options
    Are you going back to work? If you're going to be pumping at work, I would highly recommend the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I've been using mine for almost a year now and it's still going strong. If you're going to stay home I would recommend the Medela Harmony manual pump. I had one and used it often, and it was a great little pump for making a bottle here and there.
    imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Aubs13Aubs13 member

imageJenilyn and Matthew:
    Are you going back to work? If you're going to be pumping at work, I would highly recommend the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I've been using mine for almost a year now and it's still going strong. If you're going to stay home I would recommend the Medela Harmony manual pump. I had one and used it often, and it was a great little pump for making a bottle here and there.

I will be going back to work.  I have been using a manual pump for a few weeks (I think its the Harmony....the hospital gave it to me...), but will definately need something more practical when I return.

Thanks for the tip!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If your insurance will cover rental of a hospital grade pump, find a place to do it. That's a HUGE $$$ benefit. A hospital grade pump is closed system and generally stronger, if it breaks they would generall cover it, and if for some reason pumping/bfing doesn't work out you aren't out any $$$. Maybe there is a mail order place you can work with? Or will the hospital be able to send you home with one?

At the hospital I used a Medela symphony and it was fine, I liked that all the pieces and the process was the same as my Medela Pump in Style Advanced that I had at home, so there was no waste or additional frustration.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Options
    I recommend the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Backpack. I used it before I went back to work and managed to freeze 100oz. Then at work I would bring it with me. It can actually hold a lot - my parts, extra tubes/lids, storage bags, steam bag, and the quick-clean wipes as well. I take it with me when we go out of town to visit family. Now I work from home so I use it at night before bed. It's very small and portable. Also, my husband accidentally broke the faceplate when removing the tube (incorrectly). I was able to order a replacement part right from the Medela website. It was convenient and came quickly! I've never used a manual pump so I can't say that this one is better, but it's worked very well for me so far. :)
    Me: 37, DH: 34
    Married: 10/29/09
    DD born: 11/30/10

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Call your insurance back and as them what durable medical equipment providers they work with.  They will be able to provide you a list.  You should def. take advantage of this benefit from your insurance company.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I have the PISA tote and love it so far!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Options
    I also have Medela PISA.  Does your insurance cover all or some cost of the breast pump? Mine gave me back $50--not a lot, but I'll take it. I like the pump and have found Medela's customer service to be excellent.  GL!
  • Options
    Aubs13Aubs13 member

Thanks, ladies.

My insurance will cover rental but not purchase of the pump.  I will give them a call to try to find a place close to us that they will work with for rental.  Otherwise, sounds like Medela it is!

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"