2nd Trimester
Options

Dehydration...again?

Two weeks ago I landed in the ER due to severe dehydration. I went through a liter of Saline to get rehydrated (that's an expensive re-hydration trip!) and felt great after. It wasn't from a lack of trying to stay hydrated, either. I was drank 2 liters of water that morning, 1 liter during and after lunch, and was half way through the next bottle of water when I got put in the ER.

I'm doing it...again! I woke up this morning (three hours earlier than I should have since I took a Unisom last night) beyond parched. I've been through almost a complete liter of water this morning (since 6:30) and am still parched. My lips are chapped and cracked and I feel lethargic. Peanut isn't moving as much this morning, either. Time to call the OB this morning? I have a strange feeling this isn't normal...at all.

How do you stay hydrated...especially in this nasty heat wave?

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dehydration...again?

• Options
    I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies since they are full of water and stay clear of salty foods which have sodium that can be a diuretic.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Water, water and more water! I keep it icy cold to make sure its always pleasing. Popsicles (you can buy sugar free if you're worried about that sort of thing),  Watermelon is my go to snack and I have cut down on my sodium intake. Just make sure you don't cut it out completely because you need a little bit in your diet :) And not everyone follows the 8-10 glasses a day rule. It sounds like you need more (obviously) to keep up with your LO. Also, try not to be outside any longer than you have to be.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    are you throwing up to help with the dehydration? I had HG and landed there a few times as well. I don't know if this really helps, but I had a lot of people recommend it to me.. but take baths or go swimming.  Water gets absorbed through your skin, so i started taking a bath every day and going to any pool as much as I could. It helped me get ont rack.  And i found that when i was in water on the pool i was less likely to throw up lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    IDK I stay thirsty and try to drink as much as I can stand.  The chapped lips are awful for me. The last time I was in the hospital dr said I was dehydrated but I didn't feel any differently than usual and he's never said anything about it in the office.  Of course that didn't stop him from pumping me full of fluid all night long.  Are you urine tests normal with your dr?  If your urine is more clear than yellow or orange you're on your way to drinking enough.  But there's other things they test for in the sample.  Maybe you should try something other than water also if you're feeling so lethargic - coconut water, juice, gatorade.  Don't skip on the water tho!
  • Options

you can feel the baby move at 14 weeks already?

(and on dehydration - how about picking up some oral rehydration salts and making it a point to drink those every day?) 

About me: Daughter turns 4 in Feb 2016... second baby due in mid-Jan 2016!   
  • Options
    i'm constantly thirsty as well, but even more so in the middle of the night. i keep a glass of water next to my bed and usually refill at least once in the middle of the night. i've never been this thirsty. and yes, i drink a lot of water during the day -- at least 64oz, probably closet to 100 oz per day. this is one thirsty baby!
    BFP #1: 1/27/11, mc 3/17/11 at 9w2d, baby measured at 8w3d, no heartbeat BFP #2: 5/13/11; beta #1: 382, beta #2: 7842. heartbeat: 103 at 6 weeks; 146 at 7 weeks, 165 at 9 weeks, 173 at 12 weeks, 158 at 16 weeks. BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've been drinking, and drinking, and drinking....and drinking some more. Sadly and honestly, I can say this is the first time in my life my urine has been clear. I've started increasing my watermellon intake (it's summer...why not?!) and veggies (carrots and salad with a touch of olive oil for dressing). My lips are still chapped all of the time, so I'm beginning to think this is just going to be part of my pregnancy.

As for feeling the baby move already - oh yeah. Peanut is all over the place. However, my husband and I honestly think I'm a month a head of where they think I am (I'm showing at about 20 weeks and have been feeling Peanut regularly since week 14). We have an appointment with the OB this Tuesday and are scheduling the ultrasound for next week, hopefully (Boy Peanut or Girl Peanut? Who knows!!). Then we might get an update on the due date, too. We'll see!!

I have found my greatest saver for keeping hydrated is staying clear of Gatorade and the like (they've been dehydrating me) and putting Crystal Light flavoring in the water (especially their fitness ones). I'm not a big water drinker, and these almost clear drinks keep my drinking water all day and all night. :)

Good luck, ladies!! Let's hope this heat wave ends soon, too. I'M DONE!! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"