May 2011 Moms
Options

chain portrait studios-rec needed

We can't afford to use a great photographer all the time, but I still want 3,6,9 and 12 month photos. My dh and I agreed to use our favorite photographer for newborn, 6 month and year photos and to go to a chain for the other ones. Are chains pretty reasonable? They seem to have good deals, but are they scams and you still end up paying a fortune? Have you had luck at any of them? Also, dh is military, so if you know of a good discount let me know too!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: chain portrait studios-rec needed

• Options
    We'ved used the Olan Mills in Belk stores a few times. They run specials and you can get a nice package for reasonable prices. Not sure about military discounts, but you could ask. We've been pleased with the pictures we've gotten done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I use to manage a chain portrait studio, and you can get good deals, the biggest package is normally $299, the lowest can be close to $7.99. We ran a special where you would get the first pose for $7.99, it would be a 10x13, 8x10, (3) 5x7, (4) 4x7s, and more wallets then you know what do do with. They will try to sale you as much as they can, but you don't have to get anything bigger then you want. 

My SIL gets most of hers done at Sears and they turn out pretty nice now that they have gone digital.  

The problem with many of the chains is that it's a crap shoot of how the photographer is. I know when I was working there, they would hiring anyone with out any photography experience. Anyone can take a picture, not everyone will take one that is good enough to go on your wall. 

Another idea is to hire a amateur photographer who is trying to build up their portfolio since they normally are much less then professionals. 

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the picture people. Just shop around online for deals, also try sending the company an email to see if they have military pricing, they may send you coupons.
    imageimage
  • Options

I ditto the amateur photographer in your area. You can find a few on craigslist under the listing baby+kids and free. When you are starting out, you need to create a portfolio, and the best way to do this is to offer free sessions and sometimes even a CD with all unedited photos. 

On the other hand, if you go to a chain store (such a sears) google some poses you like first. Avoid sleeping baby ones because they are obviously newborn ones. And Sears offers a 25% military disc. :) 

• Options

imagetheaustins05:
    I like the picture people. Just shop around online for deals, also try sending the company an email to see if they have military pricing, they may send you coupons.

I always used the picture people too. People said they were expensive, but I always used coupons and found deals on their website. The last time I went in I got enough photos for all my family for christmas and a cd of all the pictures for less than 100$! Can't beat that. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jcpenney runs good sales all the time also. Last time I went I got each picture sheet for 3.99 and you can get a ton of pictures for less than $100.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"