Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Interesting bedtime happening (paci related)

DS still has his paci "guk" we call it. This isn't overly concerning to me, its limited to the car and bed. And sometimes more if he is sick. He throws it back in bed in the morning.

Tonight we did his typical 3 stories (the same each night) and he asked for another. I said do you want your guk or another book? He said BOOK! I said are you sure no guk for nah nah tonight? he said yes.

So I read him the book and turned out the light. that was it. No crying, no asking for the guk and he took his typical 10-15 minutes of tossing before falling asleep. I'm shocked. Where woudl you go from here? We are going on a plane in Sept and I was planning on getting rid of it the Build a Bear way when we returned.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Interesting bedtime happening (paci related)

• Options
    I would take it as him not wanting/needing it any more and would use this as the stepping stone in not using it any more.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would take his cue and be done with them - but throw them all out - too easy to slip back into it when you have a spare handy ;)
    My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemandolynn81:
    I would take his cue and be done with them - but throw them all out - too easy to slip back into it when you have a spare handy ;)

Definitely. Also, I've found in the past that I kept them taking a paci or bottle or cup, whatever, if we were doing something like traveling soon. Really, the paci (or bottle, etc) were not really helpful in these situations and sometimes were more of a problem (esp. if they're ready to get rid of them, and it sounds like your son is). I got rid of DD2's paci and bottles the night before a trip last year, and the trip went better than most!  

• Options

imageExpatFamily06:
    I would take it as him not wanting/needing it any more and would use this as the stepping stone in not using it any more.

I agree with this. I know I'll get some flames for this, but DS was drinking out of the bottle until a month ago (he'll be three in September). One weekend while we were on my parent's boat, we accidentally lost his bottle (we had only brought one to my parents lake house). We looked for it and couldn't find it. The only other cup I had with us was a trainer cup, so DS drank out of that. My mom ended up finding it later that night, but DS was doing so well, we never told him we found it. When we got home (where we had plenty of bottles), we just kept up with the trainer cup (and shortly after that he transitioned to a sippy cup), and he'd keep telling us he lost his bottle on the boat. We had tried to take it away before, tell him we didn't have any more bottles, etc., but I think this was different because he was there when we lost the bottle and tried to find it, so he knew there really wasn't another bottle. 

• Options

imageExpatFamily06:

totally this! 

• Options
    Thanks ladies!! I am going with it. He did the same thing with his bottle at 18 months ( I wanted it gone by 2) and one night asked for a cup instead, we never looked back. I am trying to find them all and get rid of them, he's gone all night and day without it!
  • Options
    I REALLY hope that DD gives up the paci on her own like this--my goodness, that would be so much easier than putting up with several nights of crying!  I would definitely throw out all pacis and consider him successfully paci-free! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"