Special Needs
Options

tics

Not sure if anyone can help me here 

My 2 yr old daughter has seemed to have developed a transient tic which I guess can be common and usually goes away....  She all of a sudden has been blinking her eyes excessively.  I do have an eye dr. appt. to check her eyes, but the pedi thinks that the stress in the house from the baby being born and my husband and I having marital problems could be causing the tic.  I was told to give her some extra love and attention and to reduce all stress.  I was curious if anyone is familar with tics and what your experience has been? 

There has also been added stress because my 5 1/2 month old might have tethered cord (we are getting an MRI soon), and I probably have been exuding anxiety. 

any advice would be great!  TIA

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)

Re: tics

• Options
    Tics are usually a result of magnesium deficiency which is very common. You can give her an Epsom salt bath ( magnesium sulfate ) just be sure she doesn't drink the water or it will give her loose bowels. You can also increase magnesium rich foods. Watch calcium intake as well bc magnesium needs calcium to be assimilated by the body. Magnesium is key when it comes to tics. My DS had them as well. If you search my blog in my siggy for Epsom you'll get a blog post with lots of info on Epsom. Let me know if you have any questions, we've been there :)
  • Options

Thank you for both of your responses.  I will look into the magnesium thing.  Curious if you think I should bring her to a Neurologist?  or should I see how things go for a few months.  Pedi just gave me a referral to the pediatric opthamologist.  he hasn't said anything about a neurologist.  Thank You again :)  Interesting how it just began overnight, like flipping a light switch. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went the neurologist route but my DSs tics started as a result of a severe vaccine reaction. His were so severe they thought he was having seizures. He would tic so hard his head would jerk forward and he couldn't walk during. He hated it, it drove him nuts and was scary to watch. Even with his being so bad, magnesium helped a TON. His vaccine injury left him very chemically sensitive and now he only tics if he doesn't get mag, is exposed to mold even in small doses or has too many probiotics. Auntie is right, zinc is another key you'll want to look in to. It's super easy to know if you are deficient in zinc. Put a little liquid zinc on your tongue, if it tastes nasty or like metal, you are deficient. If you don't taste anything, you are not. While stress can exacerbate tics, it does not CAUSE them. Look for the root cause. It's usually a nutrient deficiency.
  • Options

The pedi probably meant that they get worse with anxiety and I took it that I caused this...but I just couldn't imagine that the things going on could actually cause it...because it isn't like her house is in chaos or something :)  I am definitely going to look into these suggestions.  I probably will see how she does and bring her to the eye dr. and have him assess whether its necessary to see the neuro.....I have a neuro because of my other daughter.

• Options
    Sounds like a good plan. In the meantime it won't hurt to increase mag rich foods and see if it helps. Here is a good list: https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php. This may help too: https://www.ctds.info/tics.html. For an epsom salt bath I'd start with 1/2 a cup for 20 minutes and work up to 1-2 cups over a week or so. Before bedtime is best. No more than 20 minutes or the toxins released can be re absorbed. Epsom salts are also detoxifying and that's a good thing! The baths combined with diet would stop my ds's tics within just a few minutes.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help and the info! 
  • Options
    This reply has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"