VBAC
Options

Oh this is no bueno :(

MrsDTMrsDT member

Re: Oh this is no bueno :(

• Options
    Wow, that is surprising.  It made me go search for my records to verify I had the double layer.
  • Options

I will definitely have to ask my doctor at my next appt whether mine is single or double.

8.6% isn't a number I'd be too comfortable with.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm currently on my phone, and can't cut and paste the link...can someone make it clicky? Thx!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I have heard mixd hints regarding single vs. double layer suturing and have heard that the material used can play a role. I don't have any links since I'm on my phone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenosoup4u:
    I'm currently on my phone, and can't cut and paste the link...can someone make it clicky? Thx!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17118738 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Interesting information and it does make sense.  That being said, keep in mind that they only had 35 women in this study with the single, so each one makes up a much higher percentage of the whole, you know?  The 8% is misleading in that way.  If it were out of 1000 women, then it would be more compelling information.  More research is definitely needed in this arena, though.  This suggests they should always be doing double layer, just in case.  The percentage of ruptures in the double layer group was higher than I have ever seen in past studies also.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    je2161je2161 member
    imageMAprincess:

Interesting information and it does make sense.  That being said, keep in mind that they only had 35 women in this study with the single, so each one makes up a much higher percentage of the whole, you know?  The 8% is misleading in that way.  If it were out of 1000 women, then it would be more compelling information.  More research is definitely needed in this arena, though.  This suggests they should always be doing double layer, just in case.  The percentage of ruptures in the double layer group was higher than I have ever seen in past studies also.

My OB told me that she routinely does a double layer of sutures if there is any possibility of a future pregnancy. She will do a single layer ONLY when there had been a previous discussion with the patient regarding no more children in the future.

I thought that was standard practice across the board.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    MrsDTMrsDT member
    imageje2161:
    imageMAprincess:

My OB told me that she routinely does a double layer of sutures if there is any possibility of a future pregnancy. She will do a single layer ONLY when there had been a previous discussion with the patient regarding no more children in the future.

I thought that was standard practice across the board.

I don't think so...from what I found after researching it some more, it looks like many doctors use single layer (or have been since a certain year, can't remember when) because it is actually better for the patient in a lot of ways...I think quicker healing time, less chance of infection, etc etc. Damn I meant to post the other articles I found and I got distracted and never went back and did it

• Options
    As my OB was suturing, she mentioned that she was doing a double layer because she knew I hoped to VBAC. I assumed it was common practice as well. Interesting.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:

Interesting information and it does make sense.  That being said, keep in mind that they only had 35 women in this study with the single, so each one makes up a much higher percentage of the whole, you know?  The 8% is misleading in that way.  If it were out of 1000 women, then it would be more compelling information.  More research is definitely needed in this arena, though. 

Agreed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:

I couldn't agree more!

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"