Food Allergy
Options

VERY interesting! pls read and follow your gut!

This is really a loooong story so Im going to post with just the facts. I still have no idea what was causing my sons problem with his bowels but this is what happened:

at 6wks old he started having blood- bright red- in his poop
went to ER for testing related to polyric stenous (unrelated to blood) which was negative but ER dr and pedi suggest I go dairy free.... (history *my 3yr old daughter has severe food allergies, including milk)
2 months go by and blood comes and goes one day, next day bright red.. no real answer for whats going on but Im getting annoyed that pedi and my sons speciality dr are not concerned since Ive been off dairy for a while at that point
We go to see a GI who recommends cutting out soy... almost 3 weeks of no soy and over 2 months of no dairy and STILL has blood, bright red, in diapers every day. Sometimes he "poops" just blood.. I told all the drs that I just wasnt convinced it was a dairy/soy allergy because after stopping that in my diet it wasnt getting any better, sometimes it seemed worse.
Long story short my son can not be on formula because it would affect a kidney situation he has, too much phosphurous and potassium in the special allergy formulas and dairy in the renal formula that he would need for his kidneys so its important I continue to bf. Well, last week the GI said thats it and basically gave up and said we HAD to start formula, at least to try because at this point he was losing blood too often and they were finally concerned... I was so upset that I left and felt miserable, Ive done ALL I could do so I decided to go to McD and have a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuummy double CHEESEburger... later that day, weekend, etc I continued to eat dairy. Even just plain cheese (omg, sorry- but it was so good!) and would you freaking believe he HASNT HAD ONE bloody stool since that day? I do NOT understand it! I was using coconut milk as a creamer in my coffee and baking with it- but I cant understand what would had started the blood because I didnt use the coconut until after I stopped with the dairy. So, Ive had NO coconut milk since and Im also wondering if it was pea protien becasue the butter and cheese I use to cook with has that in it. We dont eat eggs or peanuts/nuts in my house because of my daughters allergies so I have no idea what had caused the blood or caused it to stop? Any ideas? I feel very confident that its not dairy or soy because the bleeding has stopped and its been over a week and Ive ate alot of these things.

Re: VERY interesting! pls read and follow your gut!

• Options
    Wow, that is interesting! Is he now on formula too, or are you still EBF'ing? Have you tried keeping a food diary to see if you notice a pattern? I would try that, if you haven't. I hope you're able to pinpoint the problem. It's so hard how we have to play detective to try and figure these things out sometimes. But that's great he hasn't had any more blood!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"