Food Allergy
Options

Formula for another year, blechhh. How do you get over your angry/bitter feelings?

So Asher had his first birthday. I was so sad that he couldn't eat cake, or pretty much anything else...I am still bitter (can you tell?) He had his usual, applesauce. But I let him feed himself and that made us both smile.

We were told he'll be on formula for at least another year, which we figured. So now I need to work on getting insurance to pay for it for one additional year.  Some days, I am okay with his issues. And some days, I am pissy. Anyone else?

This is how I feel today: I hate Alimentum, it stinks (literally.) I hate that he can only eat 5 foods, although we are up one more than we were from a month or so ago. I can tell he is getting bored with eating, so I let him eat a lot of apples, which he loves. I hate that he stares at his sister's food, it makes me sad. Guess I am just having a bad day. I wanna know how much longer he has to live like this. I just want to know there is an end in sight, or if there is one at all.

He is not going to be scoped until 2, so we won't have an official diagnosis until then. As of right now he is just allergic to pretty much everything, and GI suspects an eosinophilic disorder, which we agree with. 

I hate this! Mayeb I just need a beer...is it too early for a beer???

Vent over.

Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10

Re: Formula for another year, blechhh. How do you get over your angry/bitter feelings?

• Options
    I understand about hating formula.  My DD has FPIES (no dairy whatsoever) and is FTT.  She is 18 months old and is on elecare ($40/can) and will be on it until she is 3.  I HATE it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Then you deserve a beer too. Vent away baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ugh it totally sucks.  My Asher will be on formula forever too.  Luckily Neocate doesn't smell as bad as Alimentum, but the poop it produces is WAY worse. 

What is your Asher allergic to?  I feel like my kid is allergic to everything and I was able to make a cake for him.  Maybe I can help you with ideas for treats for your LO.  

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options

Have a beer.  Or something stronger- allergies suck. 

My son's second birthday is tomorrow.  I am determined that every single food at his party will be safe for him so that I don't have to follow him around at his own house to prevent food issues.  So last night I started to cook.  There are 45 people coming over and I have to make everything from scratch.  And if one more family member tells me that I'm working too much and why don't I just make J a special cup cake and buy one from the grocery store for everyone else I"m going to scream. 

• Options
    imageg_belle:

Have a beer.  Or something stronger- allergies suck. 

My son's second birthday is tomorrow.  I am determined that every single food at his party will be safe for him so that I don't have to follow him around at his own house to prevent food issues.  So last night I started to cook.  There are 45 people coming over and I have to make everything from scratch.  And if one more family member tells me that I'm working too much and why don't I just make J a special cup cake and buy one from the grocery store for everyone else I"m going to scream. 

Good for you for working so hard. No one but other allergy mamas understand how hard this can be!

• Options
    imageABColeslaw:

Ugh it totally sucks.  My Asher will be on formula forever too.  Luckily Neocate doesn't smell as bad as Alimentum, but the poop it produces is WAY worse. 

What is your Asher allergic to?  I feel like my kid is allergic to everything and I was able to make a cake for him.  Maybe I can help you with ideas for treats for your LO.  

well, he can only have apples, squash, carrots, green beans and sweet potatoes... if you can create something out of that, i will give you 5 millionty dollars ;)

• Options

Drink away... and have some for me!

There are days when I'm just totally over this allergy thing. We'll be on Neocate Jr. until she (hopefully) outgrows some of these things. We go back for testing in March 2012, so it's still another few months at least of fighting with our insurance, finding food she can eat and just keeping it together.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am with all of you. Both myself & my son have food allerg issues and I agree some people don't undrstand and some don't WANT to understand. My allergy is more complex than my son's. I am allergic to all forms of sulfonimides so, I can't have things that have the sulfite preservative in it. It would be easy if it was just out there but sulfites also hide in things like lemon juice concentrate so, I get it that people don't understand mine. Now, my son on the other hand is allergic to milk, soy, oat, and possibly apples and apricots. He is curently on Neocate and will probably continue to be on it for awhile. Its' rough dealing with all of this. I give all of you guys a pat on the back for doing what is best for your children. That is all we can do and others need to be supportive of that. Our son's first bday is around the corner and I need to figure out wat to do and I know I will get slack for it too. So, Stick out tongue to all those who refuse to support the innocent children and make them feel like outcasts.
  • Options

I feel ya.  DS will be on some type of formula for the rest of his life.  He has EoE and a pretty extreme case at that.  He can eat carrots and wheat right now.  He just had his 7th scope and we are waiting on those results right now.

It is so frustrating.  I just wish I could let him eat whatever he wants.  His newest thing right now is saying bite bite and trying to take food from other peoples plates.  He is too little to understand right now. 

I hope you enjoyed your beer.  Have another one today for me as well!

• Options

So sorry you have to deal with that, but if anyone understands, it us :)

I think for some people looking to the future can be helpful, it gives them hope to say "maybe one day he will grow out of this." For me, "maybes" are detrimental. Once I started living in the here and now I was able to deal a bit better. But for today, vent away! We all have bad days when we wish our kids were able to eat normal food. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

it does suck and i hope you get it covered by insurance (fight for it).  The good thing is that you will know he's getting nutrition. And you totally deserve a 12 pack!  if i wasn't pregnant i'd probably be writing this drunk right now

Drinks 

• Options
    imagemacaroni1979:
    imageABColeslaw:

well, he can only have apples, squash, carrots, green beans and sweet potatoes... if you can create something out of that, i will give you 5 millionty dollars ;)

Damn if he could just have rice I could make a cake for you.  When are you doing more trials?

Infertility

My Spring Babies! 
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    imageABColeslaw:
    imagemacaroni1979:
    imageABColeslaw:

Damn if he could just have rice I could make a cake for you.  When are you doing more trials?

You are so sweet! It is so hard to trial foods right now because he has molars coming in, and I don't know if the night crying is due to teeth or GI upset. I am trying to work on this idea that because Alimentum is corn based, that he might be able to have corn products. I gave him (accidentally) a squash corn blend last night. He got a rash on his face right away, but no GI upset last night. I was told to ignore the rash and only worry about his tummy issues. So, I am going to add corn in all week and we'll see how things go. I would love to be able to give him corn chex, but there are so many ingredients he has never had. Gorilla Munch might work though. I'll let you know how its going!

• Options
    imagemacaroni1979:
    imageABColeslaw:
    imagemacaroni1979:
    imageABColeslaw:

You are so sweet! It is so hard to trial foods right now because he has molars coming in, and I don't know if the night crying is due to teeth or GI upset. I am trying to work on this idea that because Alimentum is corn based, that he might be able to have corn products. I gave him (accidentally) a squash corn blend last night. He got a rash on his face right away, but no GI upset last night. I was told to ignore the rash and only worry about his tummy issues. So, I am going to add corn in all week and we'll see how things go. I would love to be able to give him corn chex, but there are so many ingredients he has never had. Gorilla Munch might work though. I'll let you know how its going!

Dude if he can have corn....we can totally make a cake.  It won't taste the best, but it will taste awesome to him.  You use your formula to replace a fat and corn meal.  

Infertility

My Spring Babies! 
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"