Upstate NY Babies

Do you collect anything?

I have Hess trucks and have them since 1992. I am missing 2007 and 2008, I planned on selling the collection and ended up keeping them.

I am letting R play with 09 and 10 and want to put them all on a high shelf around the perimeter of his room some day. 

My issue with collection is, they serve no purpose. I can collect something like the trucks and never take them from the box. No enjoyment, just saving until you sell someday or leave for someone else to deal with when you die. I would probably make more investment wise if I took the $25 per year and invested it really. So, I see no reason not to let R play with them.

Other things I have are Precious Moments. I have a bunch and most have meaning, but they are no longer my style and they sit in a curio. I also have a few too many Coach bags......they are small and I doubt I will carry them again. I like VB now too, and they are much more functional.

What do you collect? Why? Do you plan on keeping it forever, or will you sell at some point hoping a profit? 

Re: Do you collect anything?

• I don't collect any thing.  I once tried to collect a fridge magnet for every place we went but then everyone thought it would be nice to get me a magnet from every place THEY went, so they no longer had much meaning to me and I stopped.  My FIL was a HUGE collector.  His argument was that it was all going to be worth something some day, investments.  Yeah, his 50+ piece Zippo collection was worth about $350 to some guy in Chicago and it took me 3 months to find a buyer!  Hundreds of valueless cameras and film.  Camp cook stoves and laterns worth about the same as he paid 30 yrs ago.  Boxes and boxes of USED stamps that we just gave away to some other useless item collector.  There are a few collections that have some value, but not right now with the economy being bad.

Tyler collects rocks and coins.  Neither really cost us anything, but he loves rocks and coins, has a bunch of really neat ones.  I have no idea if it is going to go anywhere or just a kid thing.

• Not anymore.  As a child I collected Breyer Horses.  I took them out of the boxes and played with them though.  They are packed away at my parent's house.  I can't really think of anything else. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Just the credit card receipts from my shopping habit...LOL

I sometimes wish I did- but nope I've got nothing 

• Nothing that I like hunt down. I have a few Willow Tree figurines which I started collecting because I thought they were cute but now love because they are made of wood so no matter how many times the cats knocked them from my dresser, they never broke. I don't like the angel ones as much, but the milestone ones are so precious. I also have a Willow Tree nativity.

My mother collects Studio 54 houses and has a huge village under her Christmas tree (which this year I am sure will have a GIANT baby gate in front of it). It is beautiful and she looooves it, but she said my sister can have it because I have cats that will ruin it.

My problem with collecting things are the storage. Things I like would end up gathering dust and I just don't need anything around the house like that.

image        image
  • No... I don't like knick knack stuff, and modern collectibles seem to not have value like old stuff (like Beanie Babies etc).

DH has baseball cards from when he was a kid and they are probably pretty worthless for the most part.  HE didn't even like baseball but people thought he'd like the cards.  (?)

We do buy things when we travel, like decorations for the house, but it isn't necessarily art - anything from blankets to ceramics to shirts.

• Nothing valuable. We try to get a Christmas ornament from each place we go on vacation, or from zoos/themeparks, etc. I also have some Willow Tree figurines but they have all been gifts. I haven't received on in a long time.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No.Way. I have enough stuff to dust, haha.

DH is a HUGE collector <hoarder ::cough cough::>. When we moved into this house he had totes and totes of stuff. Like a garbage bag full of "collector" playboys. 

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't actively collect anything.  I used to - I still have my pennies all in their books.  And my mom used to collect Steif animals, which I then added to, and now I have the whole collection.  But they are both boxed up in the basement.

When I was in high school and college I used to collect a shot glass from everywhere I went.  I was sooo cool, underage and all.  Ehh, I guess it lost it's appeal.  I tossed them all once we moved into our house 3 yrs ago and I was like what the heck am I going to do with these.  Haha, I remember telling my mom when I was like 19 that I thought they were candle holders so I wouldn't get in trouble, jeeeze.

Now, the only thing I do and plan to continue is to buy dd an ornament at Christmas each yr.

• imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

No.Way. I have enough stuff to dust, haha.

DH is a HUGE collector <hoarder ::cough cough::>. When we moved into this house he had totes and totes of stuff. Like a garbage bag full of "collector" playboys. 

Haha, he is ok in totes and contained.  It's when it reaches the ceiling and you can't walk thru it that he is a hoarder.  DH would keep more stuff than me and it is a constant issue.  But he also doesn't want to end up like his parents so every so often we dump it.

• pins/broaches. i have quite a few Trifari pieces (mostly silvertone) some Coro and Sara Cov, and one Austrian (not a Japanned Fruit piece yet but someday). lots of flowers- rhinestones, enamel and painted ones

nothing really expensive yet, my goal is to get a book piece- an item featured in a collectors book. saw one for sale on ebay once that i loved- the Trifari pointsetta that is actually the cover piece in the one book i have- but it was way too expensive for me.

and i'm still looking to add Schiaparelli, Weiss and Lisner

believe it or not i started collecting them after i saw an atricle in Martha Stewart Living. there is always an article on some collection and there was one on pins/broaches. i thought it was a cool thing. and i do wear them. in fact since i been on a giraffe binge these last couple of days i've been thinking i need some new sweaters for the fall & winter in colors that would complement the gold/brown/brass tones of the pins i have bought recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"