Health & Exercise

i need some advice on low carb diets

yesterday i went to the doctors and found out i am at risk for diabetes, my blood sugar was high. my doctor suggested to cut carbs, i am lost on how to get this started. any suggestions? 
image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: i need some advice on low carb diets

• you can check out atkins site and go from there. since your pregnant they suggest 50 net carbs or higher. and try to add more protein.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i am not pregnant, i am nursing though
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • you can still check out the site, it offers 4 different stages each stage your adding more food with stage 1 being the strickest.if offers everything you need to know about the diet for free. it also has threads where you can post questions and get answers and make other low carb friends. im actually on the site too since i was doing atkins before getting pregnant. my username is rosebud218
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sugar Busters is pretty good in that it doesn't label foods as "good" or "bad" and instead focuses more on what the glycemic index meaning that some foods raise and lower your blood sugar more than others. 

Simple way to think about it, if it swims, moos, clucks, chirps, oinks it's a protein and o.k. to have (the beauty of low carb!)..  The easiest thing to cut first is bread & pasta...  Then tomatoes..  If you do have bread, go for more of the whole wheat style of bread/pasta.. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i think i will go with the sugar busters it

doesnt seem as tight as atkins, thanks for the info it is much appreciated

• Atkins is horrible for your health! Look up the south beach diet.  The goal is to cut high sugar things out of your diet (sodas, cookies, cakes, white breads, white pastas etc), eat more whole grain/whole wheat and control the portions of carbs you eat. For example when you have chicken and potatoes only get a small scoop of potatoes. Also you want to eat more protein and make sure it is lean protein- chicken, turkey, fish, nuts etc.
  • Look up information on Paleo/Primal diet. That's what we do in our house and it's awesome. You cut out grains, rice, and beans (those are the primary ones). We don't follow it as strict as some people but we follow it pretty close. Since starting it, I have tons more energy and exercise is  a lot easier. Oh and I'm still breastfeeding so that's not a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You might also want to check out the high risk pregnancy board on here... I currently have gestational diabetes and must stick to a low carb diet to keep my blood sugar levels in check.  There are a number of posts on the board with suggestions on snacks and where to get information on how to manage the restricted diet.  That has really helped me...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"