November 2011 Moms
Options

Charitable Donation as Shower Favors?!?! :)

My last baby shower is going to be put on by my Mother and SIL, so my Mom has been asking about my opinion on different issues (i.e. invitations, venues, food).  One thing that I am leaning towards is a donation to a children's charity instead of little shower favors that people will toss on their way out the door.  I explained my reasoning to my Mom and she is more than open to the idea.  I also shared that my DH and I would be more than happy to make the donation and the favor cards if she and SIL support the idea.

With that said, I am interested in hearing what you ladies think of this idea.  TIA! :) 

Re: Charitable Donation as Shower Favors?!?! :)

• Options
    I like!  I did this for my bridal shower.  We had pink cookies in baggies and a tag attached saying a donation was made to Susan Komen in lu of a favor.  I guess they still got a cookie favor but whatever :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing this for my brother and SIL's shower.  He lost his first child to T18 so we are making a donation to T18 in their names and making cute cards to give to all the guests. I think it will mean much more to everyone there than a traditional favor.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is a GREAT idea.  I have never once gotten a party/wedding/shower favor that I actually loved and kept and used.  A baby-related charity (March of Dimes, for example), would be meaningful as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think that's a great idea. 
    Daisypath baby
  • Options
    I think that sounds like an amazing idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i think the moral of the idea is nice. however, i'm not a big fan of the donation favors. not that i don't support them, they're just not my style of favors.

I *think* etiquette wise, they aren't the best idea (or so i have read on TK).

However, i would not give the side eye or be PO if i got a card saying they donated the "favor $" instead. i think it's a great cause. and if someone else wanted to do that for their shower i would definitely support it. Especially when it hits close to home. 

I think if you do it, putting a little paragraph/story to why you picked that charity would be nice. and i like the cookie idea. Or maybe you could do a candy buffet so people still get a little something. 

• Options
    pghjenpghjen member
    I like the idea of a charitable donation better than any shower favor I have ever received.  Honestly, I don't care about receiving shower/wedding favors.  It's nice that people want to thank you for coming/bringing a gift, but a nice thank you note is plenty for me.
  • Options

When I go to showers, I do not EXPECT a favor.  And most of the time, the favor is something small and edible, like a cookie or hershey kisses or something.  I love the idea of donating the money to a charity.  How much was your family planning on spending on favors?  I like the idea of pairing a card explaining the donation with a small edible favor.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    image909bride:

When I go to showers, I do not EXPECT a favor.  And most of the time, the favor is something small and edible, like a cookie or hershey kisses or something.  I love the idea of donating the money to a charity.  How much was your family planning on spending on favors?  I like the idea of pairing a card explaining the donation with a small edible favor.  :)

We are looking at spending around $100 to $150 on favors and I would much rather give that money to a great cause then spend it on silly things that people won't want or need.  I also plan on putting together a note telling about the charity and why we chose to support the foundation.  As for the edible favor, I did this as part of our wedding favors and we were left with so much candy it wasn't funny.  This is why I'm leery of purchasing candies or cookies as a gift. However, the candy bar that klreese021 mentioned might be a good idea, I'll have to do a little more thinking, but that could work. :)

• Options
    imageklreese0213:

i think the moral of the idea is nice. however, i'm not a big fan of the donation favors. not that i don't support them, they're just not my style of favors.

I *think* etiquette wise, they aren't the best idea (or so i have read on TK).

However, i would not give the side eye or be PO if i got a card saying they donated the "favor $" instead. i think it's a great cause. and if someone else wanted to do that for their shower i would definitely support it. Especially when it hits close to home. 

I think if you do it, putting a little paragraph/story to why you picked that charity would be nice. and i like the cookie idea. Or maybe you could do a candy buffet so people still get a little something. 

We will definitely be putting together a little note about the charity and why we chose to support them in honor of our guests and little one.  As I mentioned below, I'm leery about the whole candy/cookie thing because we were left with so many candy favors from our wedding it wasn't funny.  Also, I'm not a big sweets person and I never take the favors at showers or weddings.  However, I do like the idea of a candy bar/buffet.  That might be doable. :) 

• Options
    LOVE it! One of my friends just had her shower and in lieu of favors they did a charitable contribution to the March of Dimes NICU research. She didn't do cards either, they just made an announcement as she finished opening gifts. I would much rather have money donated to charity than receive a favor! 
  • Options

you can do a cookie buffet instead. maybe just a small variety so you don't spend a lot of money. and even do buy one/get one free at the grocery store/costco.  Cookies, Brownies, etc. if you're less of a sweet tooth (candy) person. 

• Options
    I love this idea. How did you make the cards? Is there a website that pre-makes the card?
  • Options

imageNIKKILEW:
    I love this idea. How did you make the cards? Is there a website that pre-makes the card?

I haven't found a website yet, but I was planning on stopping by an office supply store or craft store to check out their invitation/card stock section to see about putting something together on my own.  In the mean time, I'll be searching the web. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"