Preemies
Options

NICU doesn't want my milk

The hospital is worried I have the flu. DH and DD were diagnosed with the flu Wednesday. LO has had some test results that show a high white cell account. He went down to NICU again last night. They told me they wouldn't use me milk because they are worried I may be passing illness through the milk. I thought it may be good for him to get my antibodies. They aren't sure I have the flu, I tested negative. Anyway, should I make a big deal about it. I don't want to presume to know more than the drs.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Max born July 25

Big sisters Alex and Layla

Re: NICU doesn't want my milk

• Options
    I wouldn't chance It. Think of It this way, if there was a slight chance that a friend had a cold you would not want them around your LO, right? It's better safe than sorry.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It isn't the milk that is the issue. It is your hands touching everything (and your breath) possibly contaminating it.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  Flu is a respiratory illness and it is hard on normal babies.  It's especially dangerous for preemies.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    OscarQOscarQ member
    Please don't take it personally.  Just keep pumping and make sure they're giving your LO banked milk if possible (you may need to sign a waiver).  I wouldn't want to have to deal with switching the baby back to BM if they've moved him onto formula.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I will talk to the LC in the NICU. He has been in the room with me for most of the week and I am so scared. I know the flu can be awful for premies. I just feel so guilty and helpless

Max born July 25

• Options
    OscarQOscarQ member

imageJ&MsMom:
    I just feel so guilty and helpless

Unless you went around licking doorknobs or didn't wash up sufficiently - Don't Feel Guilty!  You didn't choose to get the flu.  You really need to stop beating yourself up.  You're doing your best and with any luck you'll all be recovered and home together soon.  Rest, drink fluids, pump and dump!

• Options

When the babies were about a month old I got an infection in both my breasts and then the babies showed the same infection in their blood cultures. I had to pump and dump for THREE WEEKS. It was heartbreaking, so I totally know your pain.

FWIW, my NICU didn't do banked milk so the babies had to have formula for those three weeks, and they switched back and forth fine. And just remember - this, like everything else in the NICU, will pass too. It's just temporary! Keep pumping and loving that baby, you'll all be right as rain before too long.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Do you have any frozen milk that was pumped before everyone got sick?

I came down with a stomach thing so I pumped and dumped, but the NICU had some of my frozen milk and just gave her that.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    My milk came in Wednesday and he was taken to the NICU Thursday. Unfortunately, my milk has all but dried up. I am hoping it's just stress and I can get it back up.

Max born July 25

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"