VBAC

Concerned after reading someone else's post (about Breech baby)

holly321holly321 member

Another person posted a few days ago that their ob didn't realized the baby was breech until after breaking her water.  The same thing happened to me.  I didn't think much of it, because baby was already dropped to station 0, so they couldn't flip her anyways.

How big of an oversight is this by my ob.  I really like him, and he seems really supportive of a vbac. We plan on ttc in just a few months, and now I am  wondering if I should consider looking for someone new.  But I also think I am emotional right now and over reacting.  On the other hand, I now know what a breech baby feels like, so I would probably know, to tell him.

WWYD?

Re: Concerned after reading someone else's post (about Breech baby)

• I am so sorry that happened to you!  I had a midwife for DD and when I was in for my 39 week checkup she could not tell the position of the baby by touch. With a midwife, you don't do as many U/S, but she suggested one just to make sure the baby was in the proper position.  If she felt it was necessary to make sure, I think that an OB would be even more careful. 
  • Now that  I know she was breech, I know the exact day that she flipped, it was a week before I had her.  And the next day was the day she dropped.  So I again know she could not have been flipped. So I try not to dwell on it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just going by feel - I don't think it's a huge oversight.  Think about the good old days - before ultrasound - when a Mom would give birth to her baby and the doctor would say "looks like we've got another one in there." 

If you like him on all other aspects, I don't think this would be a deal breaker for me.  But you should bring it up to him, if you're really concerned.  See how he reacts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the reassurance.  I do really like the office, like today, I called because my birth control is making me sick, and apparently he was out, so the receptionist called another dr.'s office for me.  She didn't have to, I was fine waiting until monday.

And I think I was just freaking out yesterday, I have been fighting with the anesthisia office, and my sil is about to have her baby, and they are already talking cs, so I am worried for her.

• I agree that it's not a huge oversight. My baby was in position headdown (we think- I am about 99.9% positie I felt her turn, although I didn't know at the time) until 39 weeks. I wouldnt count on yourself- I still thought her head was her toosh until my OB questioned it and did do an ultrasound. She was feet first, I was 39 wks, and my placenta was in front so turning was not an option, even if I'd wanted to do that. I would talk to your OB at the first visit. I had an u/s immediately before my c/s to make sure she was still breech; maybe they can do that before breaking water? Just share your concerns and if you hate his response then I would consider swithching.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does your doctor have experience in delieving breech?  A breech baby doesn't mean C/S.  I was born breech without issues.  The head and the butt are the same size so if the feet come first then butt the head will fit.  Depending on what position breech the baby is can be an issue.  I know that knees first is the NO NO breech and must be C/S. 
  • It was the hospital rule.  Most hospitals don't allow breech deliveries.
  • When my OB did my internal at 36 weeks, she couldn't tell how the baby was positioned and sent me for an u/s.  Head and butt feel a lot alike.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Baby flipped about a week before I delivered. In hindsight, I know the day it happened.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"