Attachment Parenting
Options

Vitamin K - oral or IM

Did anyone chose to give oral vitamin K instead of letting the LO get the IM vitamin K? Its not a choice to give or not to give for us but just which method. I have and am doing a lot of research but would love feedback from someone who chose oral vit K or even concidered oral vit K but chose the shot instead.TIA
You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
<a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view

Re: Vitamin K - oral or IM

• Options
    Oral vit K is cleared relatively quickly from the body. It should be given in several doses over time if that is your choice. The IM injection allows a slow release and is more effective.

• Options
    From what I researched, oral or injection are equal in effectiveness as long as they are administered properly.  And for oral, that means going back for a second (or third) dose after the initial one.  I didn't want to have to deal with all of that, so we did injection.  FWIW, I nursed DS while they gave it to him, and he didn't even flinch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oral - and we went back when he was 6 days old and got the 2nd dose then.

• Options
    If you're going to get it, I would go with the oral dose. Obviously make sure they offer it first because many places only offer the injection. If they don't have it, I'd just sign a refusal and administer the oral doses myself (or if your pedi has it, do it that way).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did the oral, and she got the 2nd dose at my 6wk check-up. I didn't see the point in having her poked at more than necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"