Special Needs
Options

Well I can't drag my feet and deny it anymore

At the last Scout meeting for my DS, another dad approached me about my DS's Asperger's b/c his son was Dx'd last year and he had noticed how similar they are and since they were going away to camp in a week or so did I want him to keep an eye on my DS since my H or I wasn't going with him.

My son hasn't been Dx'd with ASD or AS yet.  I've suspected for a while.  Came here to see if I was over reacting or over analyzing.  Got a wealth of information from Auntie and Spockles and a few others if I forgot to mention you I'm sorry.

Also re-evaluating my memories of what my DS was like as an infant, toddler...all the way up to now as a Dx'd ADHD 11 going on 12 yr old.  Realizing that he does have echolia, he does stimming, he had a speech delay as a toddler UNLESS you talked about Trains...thomas trains and then he would speak eloquently.  I think instead of speaking english, he made up his own language because the whole reason I took him to speech therapy as a toddler was I was the only one who could understand him.  He doesn't like eye contact, he would cover his eyes and hate the noise of fireworks.  And he likes to make friends, he just can't maintain friendships.

I know he doesn't always understand the nuances to relationships/friendships.  He's logical to a fault, likes schedules and having the same things/events happen every day the same way.

Now I guess my question is how do I word the letter to the school to have him evaluated for AS and get him some of the services he needs for middle school?  And do I send it to the guidence couselors?

I'm strangely calm.  And I'm not upset, it's something I've known but really thought I was overanalyzing and "looking for" but it was a shock to have another parent approach me about therapies and such and having to explain that I didn't have a dx but I wasn't offended that he noticed my son's differences.

Auntie, thank you, I read about your son and I truly see similarities.  I also know the years of no birthday party invites, no playdates, and he has a cell phone but no one calls him.  He doesn't show an interest in Facebook yet but I'm afraid that will also be another hurdle of more peer rejections, if he ever does want one.

I love his boy scout troop and he's sticking with the band.

Thanks for letting me blather on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"