Tennessee Babies
Options

Hendersonville OB/GYN

I recently moved to Hendersonville and I need to find a good OB/GYN. I know no one so I thought I'd ask here. I'm not pregnant yet, but has anyone delivered at Hendersonville Medical Center? Is it good or should I deliver at Baptist or Centennial? Thanks!

Re: Hendersonville OB/GYN

• Options

I'm in Hermitage (about 20miles/20minutes from Hendersonville).

I've personally never heard anything about Hersonville Medical Center; it is, however, part of the TriStar Hospitals which also includes Centennial.

Living in Hermitage, I'm close to Summit Medical Center (also TriStar).  However, for delivering a baby, I knew I wanted to be at a hospital with a level 3 NICU - it's the "best."

Baptist, Centennial and Vanderbilt all have a level 3.  While I don't anticipate any problems with any baby I deliver, it makes me more comfortable knowing that specialized help is just steps away rather than a helicopter ride away.

I have an OB/GYN downtown Nashville; I figured I, in general, only see her once a year, so the drive isn't really going to be an issue.  Now that I'm pregnant I just try to make sure that I have a 10 o'clock-ish appointment so I miss the traffic.
    (Dr. Susan Mackey, Women's Medical Associates of Nashville)

Baptist = Babies
    They're known for babies; supposedly it is THE place to go for babies.  The downside, I heard, is that you come out feeling a little bit like you've been through a factory.  They do babies all day long, so you feel more like a number rather than a patient.

Centennial = OB/GYN ER
    In most hospitals, if you have an issue that you need to go to the hospital for before 20 weeks, you go to the same emergency room all other patients use.  Meaning... you could be sitting next to the plague carrying guy at 18 weeks while you wait.
    There is also a great likelihood that once you are seen, it will just be a general ER doctor and not a specialized OB.
    At Centennial, there is a separate emergency room for ALL pregnant ladies.  It just gives you the warm fuzzies knowing the only thing "wrong" with the person on the other side of the curtain is that she's pregnant too - she probably isn't carrying the plague.

That all being said, it's just hearsay.  I have yet to deliver a baby, so I have no personal first hand knowledge.
    I have, however, chosen to deliver at Centennial for sake of full disclosure.

Once I've delivered my baby, I will probably use Summit (your equivalent Hendersonville Medical Center) for any future illnesses/accidents involving my family.
    My baby's information from Centennial will be in the computer at Summit since they're both part of the TriStar network.

I just want to be close to that level 3 NICU when I deliver.

Sorry I wasn't able to provide you any information on Hendersonville Medical Center; I did want to share what I have learned about the other two you mentioned though.

If you have the time, go on a tour of all 3 hospitals.  Decide for yourself which one feels most comfortable.
    Also, ask the L&D nurses, at your favorite hospital, which OB they would suggest.  L&D nurses have to put up with doctors all day long and see how they each treat patients; I'm sure they're a wealth of knowledge.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi! and welcome to Hendersonville!  My ob/gyn is in Nashville and I delivered at Centennial....with a high risk pg I visited the OB ER many times:( I agree with the previous post re: Baptist/Centennial.  My doctor delivers at both but recommended Centennial for a more comfortable environment....he said that Baptist tends to pressure the doctors to get the women in and out....he said that since I was interested in as little intervention as possible to go with Centennial...that docs are more like to augment labor at Baptist....just to speed things along!  Unfortunately, I have not many positive stories from friends that delivered at Hendersonville Medical or Sumner Regional....but I have no personal experience with either.  Hope this helps:)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I grew up in Hendersonville, and after moving away from college, promptly returned with my husband to start our family.

That said....here is my experience with Hendersonville Med Center.  

A) My old gyno office is there, and I was told repeatedly by them that I was unable to have kids (first when I was 16, again at age 20) and that I would be better off having a hysterectomy rather than risking endometrial cancer since I wasn't having a cycle at all.

B) When I did get pregnant easily and without much planning at age 23 and had to go to the ER with some bleeding, it was the most horrific and awful experience.  Not only was I treated incredibly rudely, I was told that I would most likely miscarry but not given any kind of reason or told what to do.

I did not miscarry, and I immediately found a new office to go to.  I am now with the Women's Health Clinic at Vanderbilt, and will be delivering (any day now!) at Vandy...and we couldn't be happier!!!! I absolutely love every single nurse, doctor, and midwife I have come in contact with, and the couple of scares or incidents we have had along the way have been handled with care and concern.  I have never been made to feel unimportant  or silly for asking questions there, and my provider really encourages me to do my own research and ask as many questions as possible.

I will not be returning to Hendersonville Med Center anytime in the near future. 

BabyName Ticker
  • Options

Welcome to Hendersonville! I've lived in the Nashville area for nearly 14 years and my OB/GYN is in Nashville in the Baptist Women's pavilion. I delivered at Baptist, it's only 20 minutes (no traffic). It really is THE place to deliver in middle Tennessee.

Hendersonville Medical Center is not well equipped if you have any kind of special needs or complications. Before we delivered and were interviewing our pediatrician, he essentially told us to deliver at Baptist or Vanderbilt (our LO does have a medical condition, which we knew about before delivery) He and his wife live in Hendersonville and she delivered at Baptist.

Sumner Regional Medical Center has an EXCELLENT lactation consultant, Christina Perez. If you have any issues at all, she's your gal to call.

Also, I love my OB/GYN and the doctors in her practice AND our pediatrician. If you private message me I'll provide you with their names.

• Options
    Dr. Riggan and Dr. Branson are both  great doctors! I personally see Riggan and he is very good at taking his time with your appts, listening to concerns and what I like most is he is not a dr who lectures or tells you all the things you can't do. He delivers at Hendersonville Medical Center and its an awesome place. 2 friends of mine see Branson and they also love him. Their offices are at the hospital as well. He also takes late appts which helps if you can't take off work and all the nurses are very nice.
  • Options
    You may also want to check out the option of having a home birth, when the time arises. There is a CPM in Hendersonville named Kathy Williams and several others in the Nashville area. If you have an uncomplicated pregnancy, home birthing is a great option. All midwives have an Ob/Gyn on call if any complications should arise during labor and delivery. I was able to walk around without clothes on and have a water birth (which was a dream come true) and can't imagine having given birth any other way.
  • Options

imageManders1230:
    Dr. Riggan and Dr. Branson are both  great doctors! I personally see Riggan and he is very good at taking his time with your appts, listening to concerns and what I like most is he is not a dr who lectures or tells you all the things you can't do. He delivers at Hendersonville Medical Center and its an awesome place. 2 friends of mine see Branson and they also love him. Their offices are at the hospital as well. He also takes late appts which helps if you can't take off work and all the nurses are very nice.

This. I see Branson and he is AWESOME. He has delivered 2 of my friend's babies and we all love him. 

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"