Health & Exercise

Too Tired to Exercise : ( Help!!!!

Pre-pregnancy, I normally exercised 2-3 times a week for over an hour at a time (consistently for the past 10 yrs.). Since becoming pregnant, I've been either sick or extremely tired, and I am in my 5th month! I work 40+ hours a week, so I am ultra wiped when coming home. How do you ladies do it???? I need some inspiration, or even better, some tricks to getting my energy back! I want to be healthy and exercise while pregnant, but I just don't know if I can.

Re: Too Tired to Exercise : ( Help!!!!

• I walked every night for an hour. I worked out 4-6 times a week pre-baby. When I got pregnant, I ran tell gravity made it hard. Walking woke me up and gave me energy when I was really tired. I also did yoga.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I worked out 5-6 times/week for 1 hr.+ before I got pregnant.  Once I got pregnant, I was just plain exhausted for most of 1st and 3rd trimesters.  Just do what you can.  Even if you go to the gym just to use the elliptical on easy and slow walk on the treadmill, it's better than nothing.  However, if you're too tired even for that, then I think you take it as a sign that rest is the best bet for now.  Try again tomorrow.

Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water and getting lots of fruits and veggies into your system. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Me too! I used to workout hard, ran and strength trained. From week 8 until around week 13 I was basically sidelined. Now my goal is always to get 2 days of exercise/week. It usually ends up 3, but I think that is good because I am exhausted. And I also disappoint myself because my stamina and strength isn't what it used to be. I tell myself I am going to do 1 day for 1 hour, and try to get at least 30 minutes the other 2 days. I end up usually doing longer than 30 minutes, but I find that if I only get 30 minutes in then my goal is met and I am happy. I have been doing water aerobics 1 day, yoga 1 day and strength training 1 day. Once the weather cools off (Phoenix), I hope I can get more walking/jogging in. But try to set small goals right now and remember you are helping to strengthen the baby's heart!  
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • find someone with a dog and offer to dog walk-it. Start with that. It gives you something to interact with during your walk and makes you walk as well.

Then hopefully you'll expand onto just walking with some good music on your playlist ;)

• Just show up!  That's the best bit of tip/advice I can give... 

I'm 19w right now and some days it's not easy, but I keep reminding myself there are a lot of women who want to be lifting what I am right now who aren't pregnant and to do my best to maintain as much muscle as possible.  Thankfully I've got training partners who without saying as much hold me to focus on the goal of doing your best FOR THAT DAY.  Make hay when the sun shines, hold back when your body signals for you to do so.  Even if you walk at 1mph on the treadmill for an hour while watching TV and reading a magazine, you're going to feel far better than if you didn't show up.

Or think of "Finding Nemo" .. Just keep swimm'n... Just keep swimm'n...Just keep swimm'n!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aw...I hear ya. I worked out 4 days as week pre-pregnancy but things definitely changed in the 1st trimester as I had zero energy. The 2nd tri was better and 3rd tri I have an immense amount of energy and am able to do workouts similar to those I was doing pre pregnancy.

I have, however, listened to my body this entire time. Like I said, the first few months I was exhausted so I chose to rest. Now that I feel better, I make it a point to get to the gym before work. If you are used to going after work, it shouldn't be so hard to pick up that habit again. I work 45 + hours a week and can make the time out to go.

If you can't make it to the gym, how about home workouts? Would that work for you? Even if you can't do that a little walking would help as well.

Good luck! Remember that working out also GIVES you energy- the 2 go hand in hand :)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"