Special Needs

Do you ever find

that because of your kid's limitations they do the funniest things?  I always lay DS on a blanket (because of the reflux) on the floor with a toy gym over him.  He has taken to grabbing the blanket and rolling himself up in it, while wiggling back and forth to scoot across the floor.

He doesn't chew food, so if I put a cheerio in his mouth he leaves his mouth open and then just yells "AHHHH", and spits it out. 

I know these things aren't typical but they're part of our normal and I find them hilarious. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: Do you ever find

• DD1 had low tone and horrible reflux. To get herself around, because she couldn't walk or crawl, she would scoot herself around on her back using her feet. From there she kneewalked and eventually walked. To us, while we knew it wasn't "normal" it was our normal.
  • DS boogies around our house doing a combination of rolling, tummy-surfing, and yoga poses (to get around corners). It's so amazing to just follow him around. I am so excited that he has come so far. Lately my thinking has been, "Maybe we get there a different way, but who says the 'normal' way is the best way?" :)
  • Loading the player...
  • even though my son is immobile and severely delayed he is still a "typical" toddler in a lot of respects.  sometimes he just throws a tantrum and has the saddest look on his face while yelling.  we will look at him and say "oh, it's so tough being Xavier.  so sad."  people probably think we are horrible parents because we aren't consoling him but it's really comical because he is totally just throwing a tantrum in his own way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"