TTC after 35

Question re: Fertility Drugs

I forgot to ask Dr Chen yesterday if DH and I decide to go with IVF what kind of fertility drugs will be injected into me.  Will she only determine this after all my bloodwork is done or does she know now?  If I know what the drugs are, what they'll do to me mood-wise is of the most concern to me.  What should I do?

TIA!

Re: Question re: Fertility Drugs

• Yes, she will determine which drugs after the workup is done.  Everyone is different, so drugs will be different as well as dosages.  I would wait to find out what protocol she is going to go with before you do anything.  I know that it's hard to wait once you finally have found a great RE, but it won't be long now & you will be on your way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It differs for everyone. I have like 7 or more meds.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • Another potential problem is that my husband's insurance for IVF expires when I turn 45 at the end of November. How many cycles can we do between August-November?  Also I'm concerned about going off my anti-depressant and anxiety medications and what the infertility drugs will do to my depression/anxiety/mood swings.

How did the infertility meds affect you mood-wise?  If you were depressed, had an anxiety or mood disorder pre-IVF what did the drugs do to you?

• There are several anxiety medications that are listed as safe during pregnancy. Talk to your Dr, you should be fine. If not, they can help wean you off of the bad meds and onto something safe for you to take.
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Do you have to go off the anti-depressants and anxiety meds for IVF? Because if you do--and if you're starting in August--you of course need to start weaning from them now, very slowly, with a doctor's help.  Maybe you're already doing that?  But on the other hand, there are a lot of women who stay on their psychotropics etc through most of a pregnancy (Xanax, however, is a big no-no Class D drug), and I believe also through IVF. 

I've had mood disorders in the past (albeit quite some time ago, but I was on Zoloft for 7 years straight until 2009), though not while doing IVF.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised; I found myself in a really good mood during the stimulating phase (I was taking follistim), maybe because I was so hopeful.  I didn't go nuts, I wasn't anxious, etc.  That was actually more after the transfer, when I was down in the dumps about it not having worked, and when having the PIO injections every night made me cry like a 5-year-old.

I don't mean to downplay your concerns, because they are very real.  Have you talked to your RE about this?  

Re: number of cycles -- one cycle takes about 6 weeks, all things considered (BCP or some other suppression, if your doctor does that, for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of stims, then 2 weeks of waiting).  And really you can't do two cycles in a row, you have to give your body a break (unless you do a frozen transfer if the first one doesn't work, which I think you can do right away).  So...you can probably do two cycles, maybe 3, at most?  

I'm sorry....coverage for this stuff sucks.  But at least you do have some and you're doing this in time to use it!

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • My psychotherapist has already told me that I must be completely weaned off my anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds after I get pregnant, not before.  She told me that my RE will probably agree.  I'll contact my RE by Friday to ask her this question.
  • you might want to tell your doctor to be agressive. there are many types of protocols.  and tell him about your insurance. sometimes in between cycles they make you wait a month or so. and stim time depends on each person and doc and results.  usually up to 2 weeks.

if you are on prozac all my docs have said it is the oldest and most tested antidepressant drug out there.  you need to do whatever is going to keep you calm. talk to you doc about the anti anxiety meds.  my doc said only if i really had to take it. but this whole process wont work if you are tooo stressed out. try accupuncture.

one round of drugs i have no effects really. this last round i was a little  more emotional and feel like i gained some weight.  it al depends on the person.  try to stsay focused and calm.

best wishes to you!

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"