Maryland Babies
Options

XP - Ladies using an in home daycare provider

I started calling around to centers a few months ago and found that most places didn't have openings for when I was looking and were also very very expensive.  We could have afforded it, but I didn't want to be working just to pay for daycare.  Because of this we decided that it'd probably be best if we focused our search on in home providers.

I decided to let some time pass because I wouldn't think that an in home provider would hold a spot for me for 4+ months since this is how they make their living.  In the past few weeks I have started calling around and have been getting total mixed responses.  Half of the people are already booked and don't have infant spots until next March and the other half tell me to call back after the baby is born.

I have no idea what do.  Up until this point I have not been stressing about daycare, but this is starting to freak me out.  The thought of spending my maternity leave researching daycares doesn't really sit well with me because what if I can't find anyone??

Advice?  Thoughts?  If you ladies use an in home provider, when did you book them?  
bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation

Re: XP - Ladies using an in home daycare provider

• Options
    When do you need to start daycare?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I have the baby on, or somewhere close to my EDD, I'll be going back to work a week or so before Thanksgiving.
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

hmmmm - I might try calling around and seeing if you can get a reservation at a center, just so you KNOW you have a place.  You might have to pay something to reserve, but if actually give it up before you need it, you'll probably get most of it back.

I'd just keep calling and if there's a place you really like, just keep calling them.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started looking when DS was about 6 weeks old...so about 6 or 7 weeks out from needing care.  I used several resources, MD Committe for Children website, Howard County Family Child Care Association (most counties have similar resources) and where I found my licensed provider, on Craigslist.  I was able to locate 4 providers in my target area and interview them all within a week and make a final decision about 5 weeks out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We decided to look at in home providers for the same reasons that you are. We were able to book our provider in February so 6 months ahead of when we would need her. We had to pay a holding fee of 200 dollars to hold our spot for 6 months. That fee doesn't get applied your tuition or anything just a holding fee which I was willing to pay because like you said an in home provider holding a spot for 6 months - that's lost income for them. In our search we did find that some people were already booked and some people didn't know their availability that far in advance. We were lucky that we came across the woman that we did because she was available for infants and we liked her a lot. If I were you I'd keep trying to find someone now just so you don't have to deal with it on maternity leave. You'll find someone!!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options

We use in home for Aiden, and Claire will be starting there next month.  When we switched to this provider (our other was closing) we made sure they'd have a spot for Claire.  This was in January. 

I would search now.  You don't want to be dealing with this when you are on maternity leave!

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • Options

I'd keep calling until you get someone. It's different over here, but I started calling providers when DD was about 4-6 weeks old. It was hard to find time since some of them wanted to actually talk, well I never knew if DD was going to stay asleep that long and if I was going to have to jump off the phone. I called about 4-5 people before we found ours. She asked for a deposit that goes towards our first week.

Are the people who don't know if they'll have an opening keeping your name on file to call you if something opens up?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had the same stress when my oldest was born.  I was calling and looking for openings up until she was 2 weeks old!  (I took a 12 week maternity leave).  Finally found an in home provider who had an opening and as long as we put the deposit down, the space was ours when we were ready for it.  Coordinating daycare is so stressful!
  • Options
    We decided to look at in home providers for the same reasons that you are. We were able to book our provider in February so 6 months ahead of when we would need her. We had to pay a holding fee of 200 dollars to hold our spot for 6 months. That fee doesn't get applied your tuition or anything just a holding fee which I was willing to pay because like you said an in home provider holding a spot for 6 months - that's lost income for them. In our search we did find that some people were already booked and some people didn't know their availability that far in advance. We were lucky that we came across the woman that we did because she was available for infants and we liked her a lot. If I were you I'd keep trying to find someone now just so you don't have to deal with it on maternity leave. You'll find someone!!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    What's the best way to find in home daycare providers?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSarahKate31:

This is almost exactly our situation also. I think part of it was because I spending hours calling/researching for a few weeks but mainly I think we just got really lucky. I'd keep looking/calling around, and keep a list of who says they might know in a few months - I'd call back in a month instead of two maybe...Good luck, I know how stressful it can be.

• Options

imageKristinc83:
    What's the best way to find in home daycare providers?

Where are you looking? I used and had success with the Howard County Family Child Care Association. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We used mdchildcare.org to find our in home provider.  You have to set up an account, but it is free to use and only lists licensed daycare providers.  You can narrow choices down by zip code, hours needed, pets vs. no pets, etc.   We started looking well in advance, because infant spots are harder to come by.  We met with several people before chosing the provider we were most comfortable with.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"