Hawaii Babies

Stuffy noses

What do you do to help a LO sleep when he has a runny or stuffed nose?

As of this morning, A has a runny nose and although I suctioned before bed (put in some saline solution just prior), within two hours, he was upset and crying because he's all stuffed up. Right now he's sitting upright asleep on me, which helps a lot, but this is clearly not a long-term solution! Advice?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Stuffy noses

• We do vicks vapor rub and the humidifier with a vicks pad. Those worked ok. She never had trouble sleeping due to congestion. Hope he feels better soon!
  • imagesanae78:
    We do vicks vapor rub and the humidifier with a vicks pad. Those worked ok. She never had trouble sleeping due to congestion. Hope he feels better soon!

We do the same and also use a firm, foam pillow under one end of her crib mattress to prop it up at an angle. These three things (as well as warm bath before bed and nose suctioning, if need be) help her STTN when she's stuffed up.

• Loading the player...
  • Poor baby! I hate when LO's congested since you can only do so much!

We also put saline solution and use NoseFrida to suction. We also have the humidifier on all day/night. You can also have him hang out in the steam shower or give a steam bath before he naps/sleeps. It helps loosen up the congestion.

I hope A feels better soon!

• Sorry for the dumb question, but what does a humidifier do? I don't know many people here who have one.

• ditto all of the above plus I let him drink herbal tea.  It seems to help and he likes it.  I let him drink out of his kids size starbucks travel cup which he thinks is pretty neat (anything to be just like mommy and daddy).  This one is good (tastes good to me) Traditional Medicinals Just for Kids cold care

And we use a warm steam vaporizor with essential oils in the little well to distill (peppermint and eucalyptus).  We don't put this in his room by himself b/c of the burn danger (which is one of the reasons why warm steam isn't favored) should he have been able to escape his crib or something.  They help just like a steam shower helps.  I bet many people in Hawaii don't have them because the air is so moist anyways? 

• A humidifier just makes the air have more moisture in it.  Humid/steamy air is considered one of the very best things to do for a cold.  If you live in a climate with already humid air, I suppose most people wouldn't have them.  Where I live, winters are very dry, and even in summer the air conditioning dries the air.

When H had a stuffy nose, we would sit in the bathroom before bed and steam up the room with the shower.  Then saline drops + NoseFrida + humidifier in the room while he sleeps.  It helped at least temporarily...... 

• inamrainamra member
    imageeacerna:

We also put saline solution and use NoseFrida to suction. We also have the humidifier on all day/night. You can also have him hang out in the steam shower or give a steam bath before he naps/sleeps. It helps loosen up the congestion.

This is exactly what we do too. Hope A gets & feels better soon!

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • To all the Nose Frida users.... does LO resist when you suction? It takes two of us to do it! He doesn't mind getting drops in his nose, and sometimes lets me suction with a bulb without too much resistance, but no such luck yet with the Frida. Maybe it just takes more practice?
  • imagesanae78:
    We do vicks vapor rub and the humidifier with a vicks pad. Those worked ok. She never had trouble sleeping due to congestion. Hope he feels better soon!

Ditto.

• imagelola808:
    To all the Nose Frida users.... does LO resist when you suction? It takes two of us to do it! He doesn't mind getting drops in his nose, and sometimes lets me suction with a bulb without too much resistance, but no such luck yet with the Frida. Maybe it just takes more practice?

we don't have this but use the regular bulb suction from the hospital - but yes, she screams bloody murder and we have to hold her arms down. always a two person job!

we also elevate the mattress like Lori suggested.

• imagelola808:
    To all the Nose Frida users.... does LO resist when you suction? It takes two of us to do it! He doesn't mind getting drops in his nose, and sometimes lets me suction with a bulb without too much resistance, but no such luck yet with the Frida. Maybe it just takes more practice?

when she was little, she didn't but now that she is older and more conscious of what's going on, yes! i do trick her sometimes by covering her eyes with a cloth wipe so she doesn't know what's coming or give her a toy to play with while i slowly try to suction her nose.

• imagelola808:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does a humidifier do? I don't know many people here who have one.

When Ash was little the Dr. told us to get a cold water one?  We found one at Target.

• inamrainamra member

We have a cold water humidifier too. I mainly used it in the past because I had such dry/cracking skin (esp when we were living in a desert =P). But I'm glad it came into good use for LO too.

As for the NoseFrida, sometimes he lets me do it without a care in the world, sometimes he puts up a big fight. If I distract him with a book (or when we were still nursing, I'd nurse him) , it helps sometimes. Otherwise, I just hold him down and do it at the same time...or put him in the PNP and chase him around with it =P

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"