High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

How to tell the difference between gas pains and contractions

Hello, I had a preventative cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks due to heartbreaking previous loss of twins at 22 weeks.  I have been dealing with bad constipation since the beginning and (tmi warning) my Dr's actually had to clean out my colon during cerclage procedure, ugghh how embarassing.  Anyways, I am taking colace 2x day and metamucil 1x day which both can cause gas bubbles and gas cramps.  Most of the bubbles and cramps have been up high in my abdomen.  When my Dr's ask me if I have had contractions I honestly don't know.  With my previous pregnancy I had Braxton Hicks but never any cramping until I was in actual labor in the hospital.  So what are some signs that I need to look out for or what has your experience been?  Tightening of the uterus without cramping is Braxton Hicks, right?  And are Braxton Hicks something that can dialte the cervix?  Are contractions when there is menstrual type cramps down low that are unmistakable?
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PCOS 2006-2008 Clomid and Metformin all BFN cycles 2008-2009 3 IUI's all BFN Feb 2010 IVF hyperstimulated April 2010 FET#1 BFP with twins m/c at 8 weeks Sept 2010 FET#2 BFP with Brody and Harper born at 22 weeks from IC May 2011 FET#3 BFP with singleton, cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks Neelie Grace born 37.5weeks on Jan 4 2012

Re: How to tell the difference between gas pains and contractions

• Options
    For me the only difference was the regularity. BH were generally shorter and would go away if I shifted position, drank water, or had something to eat. When my real contractions started I didn't believe I was in labor because they felt just like a period cramp (been doing that for 2 weeks) so I didn't bother tracking them. H pointed out that I was breathing funny and we started timing and low and behold, real contractions.
  • Options

imagekatiewhompus:
    BH were generally shorter and would go away if I shifted position, drank water, or had something to eat. =

This exactly. I have been having BH for over a month, and they haven't been causing any cervical changes - that is the difference between BH and real contractions. For me, I can actually feel the hard outline of my uterus when I have BH, but when it's just gas or constipation I may feel "tight" but my belly is still softer to the touch.

If you're in doubt at all, it may help to either go to L&D if they are frequent, or at your next appointment mention that you aren't sure if you are having BH so they can put you on the monitor. For me, only regular monitoring really taught me when I was having them for sure.

Hope this helps! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"