VBAC

Waiting to conceive after a CS?

I had my first baby via c-section in February and really want to attempt a VBAC the next time. I have heard multiple people say that if you have a c-section and wish to VBAC, you should wait at LEAST a full year until TTC. I have heard one doctor say that there wasn't sufficient evidence to prove that, but I wanted to hear what other moms planning to VBAC have heard from their doctors? Is my risk for a second CS higher if I get pregnant before a full year?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Waiting to conceive after a CS?

• I had a CNM last time, and their policy (or the hospital they delivered at) was 2 years between births for a VBAC, so that was always my plan.  Now I have a Certified Professional Midwife, and I'm not sure what her rule is.  I think she recommends 2 years too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • After I had my c/s, two OBs and a perinatologist (specializes in high-risk pregnancies) recommend two full years btwn deliveries before TTC b/c the UR risk is basically back to that of a virgin uterus.

That being said, I waited, but I have seen where others have not. It may be an issue if your MW/OB is able to care for you. Not long ago, someone posted a VBAC birth story where her babies are about a year apart.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Everything I have read has suggested 18-24 months between births as being ideal. My OB says the same. I have also seen moms who have successfully vbaced with less time between births. I think it's important to find a supportive healthcare provider and get thier opinion. The Midwife or OB that is handeling your pregnancy being ok with it, is the most important thing. I am still waiting for my vbac but DD#2 is due 19.5 months after DD#1 was born.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it depends a lot on the pregnancy, and how the c section went before hand. My ob said  I could ttc right away.  But I had a very easy pregnancy, I didn't even swell, I dilated very well w/o labor....  And my c section was non-emergent, and my incision is really low.
  • My OB told me at my 6 weeks PP appt with DS, that she would be pleased if I waited at least a year before TTC again if I wanted to try for a VBAC with the next baby. I made it exactly to a year! She seems to be perfectly happy with that and is now helping to think down the VBAC path!
  • je2161je2161 member

At my 6wk PP visit, my OB said I should wait 1 year to TTC if I want a rcs and wait 2 years to TTC if I want a vbac. But like previous posters said, all the studies I have looked at talk about either 18 or 24 months between births (interdelivery interval).

We plan to TTC when DD is at least 9 months old, but probably will wait until she is around 1 year old, and then I will bring the studies with me to my OB.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't think the statistics prove these waiting periods that doctors recommend.  But, most of them seem to have some recommendation for waiting.  It's hard enough to find a provider and hospital willing to support a VBAC attempt, so I don't want to complicate that.  I've also always heard that your body really needs a full nine months to recover between pregancies - regardless of delivery.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"