High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone pass 3hr glucose and test positive for GD later in pregnancy?

Hi ladies,

So I have been doing a little research. I passed my 3hr Glucose, but one of the numbers was out of range. I read on-line that if one # is out of range and you are considered high risk (my whole family is diabetic) that you should be tested again between 32 and 34. I went for a growth scan yesterday and my baby is measuring 6.5lbs at 34 and 3 with an AFI of 26cm. I really wonder if I have developed GD since I took my 3hr at 29 weeks. I wanted to know if this happened to anyone else. I think I am going to make my doc retest me so we can rule out this out as a possible cause for my increased AFI. Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone pass 3hr glucose and test positive for GD later in pregnancy?

• Options

With my second pg, I passed the 3hr GTT, but I suspect I developed GD later.  I was never diagnosed or retested, but my ds was born weighing 10lbs 1oz at 37wks 6days.  I developed GD with two subsequent pgs, which leads me to the same conclusion that I probably had it before and went undiagnosed and uncontrolled, leading to a very large baby.

It can't hurt to get retested.  Better to retest and have it diagnosed and controlled than to not know you have it and leave it uncontrolled.  I have GD now and at my growth scan my baby also measured 6.5lbs at 34wks.  They're concerned about me having another 10lber even though we are controlling my GD well.  Did your baby's belly measure large?  My baby's head was average size and belly measured large.  They told me this is "classic" for a GD baby.

I don't want to scare you... I was still able to vaginally deliver my 10lb ds, but I'd rather not do it again if I don't have to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With my first 3 hour GTT, I only had one number above normal range and was told that I didn't have GD but that I should modify my diet and watch my carbs and sugar intake. I eliminated all sweets and modified my carb intake, but when I retook the 3 hour test a month later, all of my numbers were way over the normal range with the exception of the fasting number. My doctor told me that this is pretty common...as your hormone levels rise and your pregnancy progresses, your body becomes more insulin resistant. Hopefully this isn't the case for you, but good luck!
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I saw your post on 3rd tri.  I would ask to be retested due to the growth u/s, AFI, family history of diabetes, and because you failed one reading.  I saw that your grandmother will lend you a monitor.  Test after your meals and first thing in the morning.  I test 2 hours after meals and have to be below 115.  Call your doc if you get a high reading from eating a regular meal or are above 90 for a fasting value.

You can check out our board for our carb allowances per meal and snack.  If you fail a reading with one of your normal meals and are waiting to retest, I am sure that you will want to start following the diet.  A GD diet and our cut-offs are different from a Type II diabetic diet, so ask us questions.  In other words, family and friends that have Type II are allowed to run much higher than we are.  Best of luck to you.  I hope that you don't have GD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"