TTC after 35


We took a break this month from all the drugs and the stress of making dr appts while still getting to work, ordering the drugs and having to locate a local pharmacy that carries Lupron, dealing with insurance, etc...and was hoping the release of all of that day to day stuff would alleviate some stress and then it would be a break month yet miraculous.

Then I woke up. AF has arrived, dammit.

Now I'm debating if I should take another month off - we have my brother in law's wedding at the end of the month and I don't know, another month off from the RE sounds great. But I don't know if we're losing precious time by doing this.


Jen, married 9/7/07 DD born 11/26/08 TTC #2 since 3/2010 Clomid cycle 12/2010 (resulted in chemical pregnancy) RE visit 1/2011 (unexplained secondary infertility) IUIs 1, 2, 3, 4 - Lupron + Follistim + Ovidrel = BFNs 7/2011 - Mental and physical break

Re: Thoughts?

  • What about doing a less intensive protocol that has less appointments, etc.? I know after the IUI and monitoring I've just done, I wouldn't be able to do that with any extra events happening in my life. It was pretty crazy the amount of time it took.
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

    MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

    Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We took a break for almost a year... we had a MC and after two more IUI's I just couldn't do it again. It was a good choice b/c when we started this IUI, I was ready and happy to be trying again. Do what you need to do... time off can be a good thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would take time off if that's what feels right for you.  TTC is not for wimps, and getting some much needed rest from the disruptions to you life that this causes can be helpful.  Who knows?...Maybe your time off will be the month that you get your BFP.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • I think if it were me, I would base the decision on my labs. If I were out of range on FSH, AMH or AFC, I would probably forge ahead. If I were in normal range then I'd say take a longer break.

  • My two cents:  time off can be a great thing, if you are truly able to let it go for a month.  But if you are still thinking about ttc every single day and worrying and wondering if you are "wasting an egg", then I'd ask if it is worth it.  If you're going to be obsessing still, then why not forge ahead and be proactive anyway?  But if you can take some time and just BE without the worrying etc, then another month off (especially in summer) could be a wonderful thing for your psyche AND your body! xo
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • If it sounds great to you, then I say go for the longer break. If you think you'll regret it later, then I say forge ahead. Not very helpful, I know, but only you know what you need mentally and physically right now. I wish you luck, whichever way you choose.
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

    DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

    IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards