Food Allergy

If you need a cake mix (for egg and dairy allergies)

Duncan Hines I found out does not have milk or egg in their mix.  Yes, you are supposed to add those items in but a trick I learned from weight watchers years ago was to add a can of soda to the box mix and voila---- nothing else is needed.  I did that for DS1's 3rd bday party this weekend (made cupcakes)-and although he's still somewhat allergic to wheat, he can tolerate it in moderation.  So that's all we had to worry about with the mix. 

Wanted to share in case you were in need of one.  I've tried allergy-free cake recipes and well, they aren't that great LOL. 

Also--if you are new to the allergy thing--a tip I learned is to freeze some cupcakes and then take them out as needed for b=day parties--that way LO gets to enjoy it too.  Pillsbury makes a great shelf stable frosting that you can use as needed--doesn't need to be refrigerated.  That's LO's favorite part.

Re: If you need a cake mix (for egg and dairy allergies)

• I'll second the frosting!  I just found out about the Pillsbury one a few weeks ago and it's made life much easier (between daycare b-day party, his actual b-day party and a baptism in a few weeks I would have had to make a ton of icing from scratch.)

ETA: cherrybrook farms makes a pretty good GF cake mix.  The Bob's red mill one is awful. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • blue33blue33 member
    Good to know! Thank you so much. What type of frosting by Pillsbury do you use?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    Ditto the Duncan Hines. Some of the plain flavors don't even need milk or butter (or the substitutes) some of the DH frosting is also dairy free (I used the vanilla). I made a bunch and also freeze them to take to parties or DD"s upcoming b-day party.
    imageimage
  • Most Devils Food mixes I have found only contain wheat. I made one this past weekend for jacob and used the egg replacer and it turned out fine. I never have luck with using applesauce, however.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"