Washington Babies

costco bread - freezer?

I just bought the two pack of bread at costco, I doubt we can use 2 loaves in a week. Have you ever frozen a loaf of bread? Does it taste weird or get hard from the freezer? Any advice?

Re: costco bread - freezer?

• Depending on the bread... yes and no.

I think that white bread or sourdough tast awful if you have frozen them for anything other than toast.

Daves killer bread or the miltons grain bread defrost perfect and just as yummy as fresh IMO!

• Instead of freezing it, I usually just stick the extra loaf in the refrigerator and it tastes great.
    M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • Loading the player...
  • I freeze bread all the time.  I freeze pretty much any regular wheat type bread in the package... although it probably *should* be wrapped better.  As long as you aren't leaving it in there for months, it's not a big deal.  Look at the sell by date though to see if you even need to.

For their bakery bread that comes in two packs - like the one with the garlic in it - yum - I wrap it tight in foil, then plastic wrap, then iether another foil or a zip lock freezer bag.  Stays just great.  

• I buy bread in bulk at the bakery outlet usually 6 loaves at a time plus english muffins and buns etc. I freeze all of them with no issues.
    Dawn - Wife of Brian 09/25/2005 - Mother of Eli Jace 03/12/2007 and Kai Evan 10/17/08

• I buy the Dave's Killer Bread in 2 packs from Costco and always freeze one of them and have not had a problem! I've also just kept it in the fridge and it lasts about 3 weeks in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We always freeze our Costco bread (generic wheat). It can taste drier if its been in for a long time, but generally we go through it quick enough to not have this problem.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok thanks ladies - how do you thaw it? leave it out on the counter, put it in the fridge, put it on a rack???
  • imageTwinMommy09:
    Ok thanks ladies - how do you thaw it? leave it out on the counter, put it in the fridge, put it on a rack???

We freeze the Dave's bread all the time too. I've thawed it all kinds of ways...leave the whole loaf out on the counter in the bag, put a couple slices on a rack, in the microwave....it all seems to work fine. :)

Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • imageTwinMommy09:
    Ok thanks ladies - how do you thaw it? leave it out on the counter, put it in the fridge, put it on a rack???

I just leave it on the counter. 

• imageSeattle_JiLLn:

I freeze bread all the time.  I freeze pretty much any regular wheat type bread in the package... although it probably *should* be wrapped better.  As long as you aren't leaving it in there for months, it's not a big deal.  Look at the sell by date though to see if you even need to.

For their bakery bread that comes in two packs - like the one with the garlic in it - yum - I wrap it tight in foil, then plastic wrap, then iether another foil or a zip lock freezer bag.  Stays just great.  

This is what I do as well.  I buy 90% of my bread from costco and freeze half of it.  I don't think it taste weird.  I have frozen the Demi Baguettes, Rosemary Olive Oil, Garlic and Whole wheat.  I've also frozen the Whole wheat white franz bread that comes in two big loaves. All of it comes out just fine.  Alot of times I cut it in half first and freeze it separately that way it's all used and non is thrown out.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"