VBAC
Options

my ob told me...

he will induce me at 41 weeks with pit, if i don't go into spontaneous labor before.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. obviously, i still want my VBAC - but I've also heard it's not common to induce (pit) with a VBAC. do i just opt for a c/s at that point?

I'm trying to do some research, but it's hard while at work & don't really have much time at home.. does anyone have any recommendations/advice/tips for me? even links to read up on this subject with. i would appreciate it, thanks so much!

Re: my ob told me...

• Options
    My OB will induce after 42 with pit only.  I would definately do it, but I would also talk more to your OB about it.  Mine starts it very slow and will turn it off when things get moving.  He has a very high VBAC success rate, I think it's around 95 or something, I forget, but at any rate, I trust his judgement completely so will go with what he suggests if I get to that point.
    Michelle BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecwifekmom:
    My OB will induce after 42 with pit only.  I would definately do it, but I would also talk more to your OB about it.  Mine starts it very slow and will turn it off when things get moving.  He has a very high VBAC success rate, I think it's around 95 or something, I forget, but at any rate, I trust his judgement completely so will go with what he suggests if I get to that point.

How do I check my doctor's rate?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagenillian10:
    How do I check my doctor's rate?

In my experience, the only way I was able to find out specific doctors rates was to ask them personally.  In calling the clinic and hospital and talking to business-type people I just go the run around and "we don't keep those records".

As for inducing with pit, it does increase the rate of rupture, but not dramactically enough that if my choice were automatic RCS or induce with pit I'd choose the CS--I would go for my VBAC with pit. 

But, if I were in your shoes I would see if my doctor would let me wait until 42 weeks. 

• Options

I am scheduled for an induction at 41 weeks exactly- she will break my water and give me a very low dose of pitocin, and I trust her judgement 100%.  She will not give cervadil however.  I think that may be more closely linked to uterine rupture. 

Good luck to you!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced with a foley catheter followed by pitocin.  I'll have to look for my pitocin research at home, but there is a small increased risk of rupture with pitocin.  I fully trusted my doctor and he was fine with using small/moderate amounts of pitocin.  
  • Options
    blf722blf722 member

I was faced with a similar situation.  The practice I was seeing used 41 weeks as a cut-off, but I was adament about not being induced.  Between my midwife and the overseeing physicians, we came to the conclusion that if baby had not arrived by 41 weeks I would need to come in for a NST and ultrasound.  If all was fine I would have been allowed 3-4 more days and then be induced with a foley bulb.

Luckily my water broke on the morning of 41 weeks and he was born later that day.

If you feel comfortable with it, my advice would be to tell your Dr. that at 41 weeks you will agree to an NST and/or ultrasound, but that you are not willing to be induced if you and baby are healthy.  We all know, and your Dr. probably does too, that being induced when your body is not ready, really ups that chances of c/s again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a successful VBAC after being induced with pit at 41 weeks.  My choice at my hospital was that or a RCS and I chose the induction.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"