Parenting after 35
Options

To circ or not to circ

In light of the new bill in California set to be on the ballot in Nov., did you circumcise? Why or why not? I always just assumed I would until I married an uncircumcised man. Then I didn't really see any reason. Andplusalso, my OB said in her experience, more moms over 35 are choosing not to circumcise so I'm curious to see how her opinion fares here.
Wut? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To circ or not to circ

• Options

I am thinking a lot of little clinics will pop up just on the other side of the state line.

How would they enforce that? 1 year in prison for the parents? If they did put them in jail the tax burden, including loss of income (and therefore loss of taxes), paying for the jail time and putting some of those kids in foster care, would be outrageous and California is nearly broke. I guess if they only enforced the fine, you could just consider it part of the "fee" of getting the procedure and California would make a bundle.

We had our sons circumcised in the hospital when they were born. DH was present at both procedures. This is the one decision that I definitely deferred to my then-husband on, him owning the same equipment and all. He was circumcised and would prefer that over not being circumcised to the point that he would have had it done surgically as an adult, but was so glad he didn't have to go through that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We circumcised.  I never had a doubt about it.  DF also had no problem with it.  I knew a few people who didn't circumcised their sons and they had to have it done when they were older and I knew I could never put my DS through that.   These days I think it's just a matter of the opinion of the parents. 

ETA: sorry just read the article and I think it's ridiculous they are making this decision for the parents.  I would think it would be better to get it done as a baby because #1-they don't remember it & #2-there is less to have to take off (sorry) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We did not circ our son. Why? In my country they don't do it. My DH is from here (USA) and he is circumcised, so I told him that I will let him decide. He did some research... and decided that the pros are not that convincing. 

The pediatric that we are seeing also doesn't think that it is necessary.  

• Options

I am Jewish, so I did.  The bill SICKENS me.  Cannot even form the words to express how much I feel that this proposed law seems anti-Semitic. Jail time? For following your religious beliefs that are NOT harmful. There have been several posts on the Bump re: this and how people (not saying you, MyPunkinPie) feel it's mutilation and torture. When I believe it's part of what connects a Jewish male to G-d. But these people forget about CHOICE.

IMO, being Pro-Choice also equals being against this bill.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    We circ'd.  I actually did a lot of research into stories of adult circumcision and that seemed split pretty evenly between those who regretted doing so and those who wished they'd done it sooner.  For us, there was also some genetic risk as DH's uncle had to be circ'd as an adult and I figured I'd rather not bet on that fun experience for DS.  DH was very much in agreement. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    imagerobynlesley:

I am Jewish, so I did.  The bill SICKENS me.  Cannot even form the words to express how much I feel that this proposed law seems anti-Semitic. Jail time? For following your religious beliefs that are NOT harmful. There have been several posts on the Bump re: this and how people (not saying you, MyPunkinPie) feel it's mutilation and torture. When I believe it's part of what connects a Jewish male to G-d. But these people forget about CHOICE.

IMO, being Pro-Choice also equals being against this bill.

I agree with you on this aspect also Robyn. I can't imagine it will pass, but if it did, I think the Supreme Court would reverse it. Not on the same level of offensiveness, IMO, but after this, maybe they propose a bill that makes it illegal to pierce little girls ears until a certain age. Not something we did, but there is a strong cultural connection for some people and others just prefer it.

• Options
    I would leave it up to my husband, and he wouldn't, because outside of religious reasons it's not really done in France.  I can't imagine that bill would pass, but then that's what I thought about Bush getting elected back in the day, too.  I wish I lived in the City so I could vote against it.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We did.  DH is and thought that it might also help in PT if M looks like Daddy. 
  • Options

I can't believe this even made it to the ballot.

This hasn?t come up for us yet, but I?m also in the ?I?ll defer to MH on this decision? camp. MH & I did talk about it before we found out we were having a girl. It was agreed that if we were having a boy, he would be circumcised just like MH.

I remember when my paternal grandfather was 65, circumcision became medically necessary for him. Not that I needed to know that.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    We circ'ed all three of the boys.  We did our research too.  My 3 1/2 yr old was recirc'ed at age 2 because the OB screwed his up.  He does not remember any of it.  We are comfortable with our decision. I completely disagree with this even being on the ballot & will be watching to see what happens.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

We will be circumcising our son due in December. I know that my husband feels very strongly about it due to the face he was uncircumcised until age 24 when it became necessary. I don't think he would wish his adult circumcision on anyone.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We circumcised and for us, it wasn't even a conversation. Though I have heard that more people are opting to not circumcise, in my informal poll of my friends, all of them who have sons had it done.  Honestly, I couldn't care less what other people do regarding circumcision.  Everyone does what they think is best for their baby. 

I think the bill is ridiculous and I would be very surprised if it actually passed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    steverstever member

We didn't because DH is European. No one outside of the US does it unless it's for religious reasons! The whole, "I know people who had to do it later," "I don't want my kid to look like a sharpei," "it's gross not to" line of thinking really annoys me.

Nobody else freakin' does this! American men are the exception, not the rule to knee-jerk circ'ing!

All that aid, making it illegal is incredibly stupid.

• Options

We didn't.  And we made the decision mostly since in this day and age, it's not all that medically necessary anymore.  (Exceptions, of course)   Our pedi says it's about 50/50 lately. 

Hubby is, and I put it to him to decide, for the most part.  If it was up to me, I probably would have done it.   But his feeling was that This is how God made us... who are we to alter the original designwork.

• Options

Wow.. my inlaws live in LA and I hadn't heard about this bill.. I can't imagine with the Jewish population of LA that this will pass in Santa Monica..??? My hubby is Jewish, but even if he weren't Jewish, I would circumcise my son.  I want him to look like his Daddy.. and feel comfortable with his body. Interesting b/c I think that most people I know in NY area who aren't Jewish would also just do it b/c it has traditionally been done around here.  I have 5 nephews (who are Catholic).. and they all had it done. 

I have to say.. I have some more progressive friends who didn't circ their son (who is same age as B).. and he's had a few infections on the foreskin of his little penis.  I also taught K in LA almost a decade ago and had a 5 year old student get it done over one of the vacations and it took a few weeks to heal and was quite painful for him.  His parents regretted not doing it when he was a baby, but he wanted it done at 5, so they did it. 

• Options
    My two older sons (18 and 23 yrs old) are circ. but my LO now is not.  SO and I did research and didn't see a medical reason to have it done so we opted not to.  Our doctor agreed and said more parents are deciding not to.  Not to mention, some insurance companies are making you pay to have it done.
  • Options

We did not. We have no religious reason to, my hubby is circumcised, and we are American...our decision was more medical we felt that if there was no medical reason we would not. Ironically my older son almost needed one because of urinary problems, but they allowed us to wait a month and the issue corrected itself.

That said, I am a little disturbed that the Bill seems to think that parents cannot make informed decisions on their own. 

• Options
    imagestever:

We didn't because DH is European. No one outside of the US does it unless it's for religious reasons! The whole, "I know people who had to do it later," "I don't want my kid to look like a sharpei," "it's gross not to" line of thinking really annoys me.

Nobody else freakin' does this! American men are the exception, not the rule to knee-jerk circ'ing!

All that aid, making it illegal is incredibly stupid.

Same story here DH is European and I also did research on it. We did not circ.

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

In our house and family it wasn't even a discussion, DS got the circ. It may be an American 'thing' but its the norm for all the males in my family and MH.

What I would have never guessed was that there would be a problem. The doctor did not remove enough skin, it is basically closing up and will need to be revised at 6 mo.  It breaks my heart that LO will need to have the revision, but we feel that strongly that he is circ'd.  And if 6 mo is the earlies it can be done, then that is when he will have it.  Definitely don't want to wait until later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i really dont get the whole "we want my dh and son to look a like" thing. how often will ur son look at his  fathers pecker? will they have the same haicuts? drive the same cars? why do they have to be matchy matchy?

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • Options

imageAviatorJJ:
    i really dont get the whole "we want my dh and son to look a like" thing. how often will ur son look at his  fathers pecker? will they have the same haicuts? drive the same cars? why do they have to be matchy matchy?

According to DH, it comes up during things like toilet training and swim lessons. Only for a few years, but years where it really matters.

We circ'd because DH is the primary caregiver and he was worried that he wouldn't be able to keep everything properly cleaned otherwise. I had no strong opinion either way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"