D.C. Area Babies
Options

Looks like there could be a few spring babies on this board.....

I'm more surprised than you ladies, but it looks like we're having a late Feb/early March baby!  Some of you may remember how much, um, difficulty I had after DS was born.  Needless to say, this baby is a bit of a surprise, but I'm coming around to the idea of having 2 children.  We've had an ultrasound and all looks good.

This pregnancy is soooooooo different than my last. With DS, I felt completely fine the entire 9 months with the exception of some afternoon queasiness a couple of times.  This time around, I feel disgusting pretty much 24hrs a day, mixed with being ravenously hungry.  Basically, if my stomach is not completely full at all times, I'm a mess.  I haven't actually gotten sick but the constant grossness feeling is getting old. I have serious cravings too.  This is all totally unfamiliar territory!  It's just amazing to me how totally different one pregnancy can be from the next.  Anyone else experience that??

Lastly, I am currently enrolled in an NIH study for PPD. I'm so excited.  If I go through anything like last time, they can get me the help I need (by putting me on an estrogen patch, or SSRI's if that's not effective - FAST). I'm very happy to be able to contribute to the research in this area because there's clearly a lot of women who suffer significantly with this.  

I'm glad to "come out" to you ladies.  I also wanted to post on the birth month boards, so wanted to make sure I posted here first.  Also, we're definitely not out yet on FB :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Looks like there could be a few spring babies on this board.....

• Options
    Congratulations!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats. I'm so happy for you. I think that's wonderful that you are participating in the PPD research. Like you said, not only are you contributing to research but hopefully if it happens again, you can catch it earlier.

Both of my pregnancies were pretty similar in terms of nausea in the first tri. The second pregnancy was a little rougher in the beginning because I started throwing up but then I figured out that it was my prenatal making me sick. I had changed brands and that small change made my nausea much worse. Once I went to gummy vitamins and folic acid, I never threw up again.

Anyway, wishing you a very happy and healthy 9 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Aw, Congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations!  Both of my pregnancies were similar, morning sickness through week 20, and then felt fine.  I had more aches and pains though the second time around and the nausea may have actually been worse, but I took meds the second time to moderate it.  I had the same cravings and aversions actually.  Good luck with the study.  It bothers me so much that people sweep depression under the rug, thank you for helping to turn that tide.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Yay!!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear all about when you start to feel better, and how DS does with #2!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Congratulations! 

• Options
    imagevtkendra:

Congrats. I'm so happy for you. I think that's wonderful that you are participating in the PPD research. Like you said, not only are you contributing to research but hopefully if it happens again, you can catch it earlier.

ditto to all this.  I wish I was involved in a study like that for my LO, as I was also miserable after he was born.  Good luck and congrats!!!

• Options
    imageMrsNJSwimmer:
    imagevtkendra:

ditto to all this.  I wish I was involved in a study like that for my LO, as I was also miserable after he was born.  Good luck and congrats!!!

I read about the study some time ago, and I actually called to see if there was anything available that I could participate in while not pregnant.  There was one to participate in if I was 100% done with having children (it is a hormone replacement study that puts you into some kind of early menopause or something) and the other I was told to call about if I were to get pg again.  So, that's what I did, and I have to go once per trimester in the 1st and 2nd and then a few times during the 3rd tri and then I'm followed closely after I deliver.  

If anyone has had PPD in the past and gets pg again, definitely call about this study - they are really interested in new participants.  

• Options

congratulations! how wonderful to be expecting a new baby!

i hope your tummy settles soon and that you have a pleasant 7 more months!

• Options
    Congratulations and good luck!
  • Options
    Congratulations!

• Options
    Congratulations--best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Congrats! Molly was a bit of a surprise for us too, although we always wanted 2, we hadn't planned on having them so close together.  I felt much worse the second time around, nausea wise, not sleeping much which probably both contributed to more aches and pains.  On the bright side recovery was like a walk in the park compared to the first time.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options

Wow, congrats! That is fabulous news!

It's great that you're doing the study - the more they can research PPD and effective treatments, the better. 

• Options

I sort of had a feeling! congrats, that's great news!

my 2nd pregnancy was really miserable, having a toddler to take care of makes it so much harder. I never STTN my entire 2nd pregnancy, had to get up and pee every single night, ugh! A scheduled c-s was much better experience than an emergency one though!

I hope you start to feel better soon, congrats again!

• Options
    JKM416JKM416 member

Congratulations!  My second pregnancy was harder on me than the first and third, but the symptoms themselves weren't totally different...just more extreme.  Weeks 7-11 were always the toughest for me, so hopefully you're already in the worst of it and it'll all be done by the time the first trimester wraps up.

I hope the study is beneficial - and that you're optimistic that you'll be able to handle whatever may come your way since you've alreayd been through it.

• Options

Congratulations and that study sounds great!

My pregnancies were all different, in my case, each progressively worse/harder than the one before.  But hey, whattaya gonna do? 

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    Congratulations! That is wonderful that you can be part of a study.
  • Options
    Congratulations, fabulous news! And that is awesome about the study - as a mom who has some mild PPD/PPA, I know what a difference early intervention can make, way to take care of you and possibly help others too!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congrats!!
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options
    imageSofka:

Really? Do share :) 

• Options
    Yay Congratulations and welcome to the 2012 baby club :)  I hope things go better for you this time!
  • Options
    Congrats!!!  This is so exciting!! And wonderful that you are involved in such a great research opportunity. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageUseonfire:
    imageSofka:

you protested so much in the "hereyougoagain" post :)

• Options
    Congratulations! That's excellent news!
    After 3 miscarriages, I got my forever baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSofka:
    imageUseonfire:
    imageSofka:

you protested so much in the "hereyougoagain" post :)

Oh. haha. I really had NO idea I was even pg then, even though I think I might have been. I found out fairly late that I was pg this time. 

• Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options

Woo! Congrats! (I must admit I'm a little jealous Smile but so excited for you.)

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine last time. Just keep small snacks around - fruit and saltines and whatnot. Hope you start feeling better soon.

And re: PPD - I'm looking into placenta encapsulation for next time - might not be for you but I've heard good things.

Happy and healthy 9 months to you!

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagetomandcourt:

Woo! Congrats! (I must admit I'm a little jealous Smile but so excited for you.)

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine last time. Just keep small snacks around - fruit and saltines and whatnot. Hope you start feeling better soon.

And re: PPD - I'm looking into placenta encapsulation for next time - might not be for you but I've heard good things.

Happy and healthy 9 months to you!

Can you tell me more?? I've never heard of that! 

• Options

It's very crunchy and potentially gross, but . . . basically someone comes to your house, steams and then dehydrates your placenta shortly after giving birth. Then they crush the dehydrated placenta into a powder and put it into capsules that you take like a pill. It helps even out the hormones after you give birth (so no hormone crash).

From the sites I looked at, I learned that everyone's placenta's hormonal makeup is unique (who knew?) but also that taking the pills can help with baby blues/PPD, milk supply, energy levels, and preventing iron deficiency. Check out placentabenefits.info if you're interested - you can find providers near you. Costs I've seen are ~$250.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"