February 2011 Moms
Options

Still haven't started solids...

So I'm reading about all these babies with their cereal and other food.  My son is 5 months and 1 week old and we still haven't started solids.  I know that's completely ok (we're waiting till 6 months-will start earlier if he seems interested-which thus far he hasn't been).  I just wonder if I'm the only one out there with a baby who just has BM?  If others of u are out there...why haven't you started yet?  just curious.  I'm afraid that I am putting it off because I don't want him to grow up :-(

Re: Still haven't started solids...

• Options
    we have given ds a little oatmeal, but not much, and only because dh works far from home and wanted to give the first taste of solids (while he's actually home and has the opportunity) since ds is ebf, never gets a bottle.
    tears in heaven. 5.21.09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We tried rice cereal and he hated it so we tried oatmeal (a tablespoon each serving, maybe 3 times per week). He didnt like oatmeal either so I just tried unsweetened applesauce today and he loves it. We will probably just do formula, and 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and applesauce. He is 5 mo 3 weeks so close enough to 6 mo.
    image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No solids here yet either. Wanted to wait until six mo per AAP recommendation for breastfed babies.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• Options
    We havent started either. Id like her to be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months. Well try them on her six month "birthday"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We've experimented just so I can assess her readiness but that's all. So far she is only into the boob ;)
  • Options
    K is only on BM and has been since she was born.  We are waiting to start solids until 6 months per our pedis recommendation-which is what the AAP recommends as well.  She seems ready-can sit up with minimal support, excellent head support, interested in our food, but we're still waiting.
  • Options
    DS is still EBF. We aren't in a hurry to start solids for a couple reasons. One, I'm a little nervous about it (which is ridiculous, I know), and two, LO seems fine with just the BM for now. He hasn't started getting hungry sooner than every 3 hours and it still sleeping long stretches during the night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My DS has had two bites of cereal and I tried to give him banana this morning.  I haven't started mostly because it's just one more thing I have to think about every day and clean up!  If he's fine with just BM for now, so am I!  I think I'll try a little harder next month to get him used to eating from a spoon, but I'm really not in a big rush.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We did cereal a while back(to maybe help with reflux) but it made DS constipated, so I stopped. I had planned to wait until 6 mo to start other solids but decided this week to go ahead. Our Pedi told me at 4-5mo I could, it was up to me. I only started now, because DS had lost some weight (only 4oz) in the past few weeks. I know it is because he has been teething, and not eating as much. He cut his first two teeth this week at the same time. We started on green beans and he loves it! He gave a funny face to begin with but was fine after the first few bites, he never spit it out.He will even come up to the spoon. So, I know he was ready for solids.

All that being said I wouldn't feel bad, do what is right for your baby. And don't feel pressure to start just because others are.  I think a lot of people start solids too early. And I think waiting a few more weeks is fine.  

My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Nah, we're waiting until six months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He gets a few bites of cereal or carrots maybe twice a week. Our pedi wants us to wait until 6m until he gets solids more regularly because he's a little dude. He loves to sit on our laps while we eat and tries to grab at our food so I think he's ready for more, but we're still waiting.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

We are waiting until six months. Everything I have read shows that there really aren?t any benefits of starting solids early. I am EBF and LO never acts hungry so I don?t see any reason to rush it. As my husband said the other day ?she has her whole life to eat, why rush it now?. I also don?t want her to grow up any faster then she has too and have thought about that in my decision to wait.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    No solids yet.  We're also waiting until 6 months.  LO has only ever had breast milk and he is in the 95% for weight and height so he's doing fine.  His pediatrician also recommended waiting until 6 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imagebella2983:
    No solids yet.  We're also waiting until 6 months.  LO has only ever had breast milk and he is in the 95% for weight and height so he's doing fine.  His pediatrician also recommended waiting until 6 months.

My Blog: One Project at a Time Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Chart
    CP 05/09
    BFP on 7/26/09 - M/C 8/13/09 @ 7 Wks
    BFP on 10/28/09 - M/C 11/9/09 @ 5 Wks 2 Days
    1/25/10 - RPL results everything normal but have low Progesterone
    BFP on 06/09/10 - EDD 02/20/2011
  • Options
    We waited until six months because of the AAP recommendation and also because of DD's health issues, but haven't been doing solids regularly since then. Gave her some sweet potato thinned with BM on her six month birthday and a few days after that, but have gone on a hiatus to get her transitioned over to formula. I'll probably start up again this weekend when I get a chance to puree some stuff. I'm not too concerned because her adjusted age is still five months.
    STM due Feb. 2017!
  • Options
    imagebella2983:

My Blog: One Project at a Time Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Chart
    CP 05/09
    BFP on 7/26/09 - M/C 8/13/09 @ 7 Wks
    BFP on 10/28/09 - M/C 11/9/09 @ 5 Wks 2 Days
    1/25/10 - RPL results everything normal but have low Progesterone
    BFP on 06/09/10 - EDD 02/20/2011
  • Options

My LO has not been started yet.  My Dr. informed me to wait until he was at least 6 months as he does not need it for any nutrition, as he gets everything he needs from BM (in other peoples situations-formula)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"