Blended Families
Options

Custody evaluation ?

Who has had one done? What are your thoughts about it? I'm all for it in my case but that doesn't mean I'm not nervous about something's. In my situation (I'll try to make it short) I have had sole custody of my daughter (who is now 6) for over 3 years. Recently my ex moved closer to us (was over 100 miles away) in a small apt and working part time. 6 months ago he called in a false claim to CPS for a "spanking" he said my husband did (we have been married 2 1/2 years) well even though they closed the case this gave him grounds to try and fight for sole custody again. We just got our court date to fix child support (he only pays 100 a month by a mistake) and we wanted to change visitation. The judge pretty much did not approve his motion but asked for both parties to do a custody evaluation and then he would use that for his ruling and for the parenting time case. My lawyer and I are happy about this...what can I do to prepare? Thoughts? Thanks ladies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Custody evaluation ?

• Options

We had a GAL involved the last time we went to court over custody and she did a "case study" to determine what her recommendations were for custody.  Then we could opt to go with what she said or continue to fight it out in front of the judge.

There wasn't much we could do to prepare, except to have an idea of what we were willing to accept.  We discussed that at length.  The GAL also sat down with SD, so we talked to her beforehand and explained that this was a friend who was going to ask her some questions, and that all she needed to do was tell the truth.  We told her that this friend couldn't tell anyone what she said, so she could tell her the truth without having to worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

Good luck to you!

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    imageFutureMrsWittig:

The GAL also sat down with SD, so we talked to her beforehand and explained that this was a friend who was going to ask her some questions, and that all she needed to do was tell the truth.  We told her that this friend couldn't tell anyone what she said, so she could tell her the truth without having to worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

We had a GAL as well.  SS met with her as well as her talking to many people in both parties (DH, BM, me, my mother, BM's parents, BM's SO).  She then wrote up a report and presented that report to the judge.  We simply told SS to tell the truth as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"