D.C. Area Babies

Lamaze or Bradley?

Can anyone share their experience(s) with either of the above birthing methods? Initially, I wanted to go with Bradley but my OB said their practice did not support Bradley because it was adversarial to their method of practice/birthing and that I would be referred to a birthing center if I chose to go with Bradley. So now I'm looking into Lamaze since it seems to offer a good balance and equips you with knowledge whether you opt for a natural birth of for pain relief. BUT I've read that some people think it's just "breathing" and that the forced and unnatural breathing methods are more distracting than helpful.

Any comments/suggestions? 

Re: Lamaze or Bradley?

• I did Bradley and I thought it was helpful. I can't imagine what about the Bradley method would be adversarial...lots of relaxation and knowledge about the birthing process. We took a series of classes over 12 weeks and learned about the different parts of labor, how to try and relax (positions, visualizations, etc), and some exercises to help get ready for labor.  We talked about the role of the coach and about when intervention was actually necessary and when it is not.

I don't have any personal experience with Lamaze, but what I have heard is that it uses breathing as a distraction for pain instead of trying to relax through the pain as is taught with Bradley. 

I have never heard of a doctor refusing a patient because of the type of birthing class they have taken. It should be up to you to decide how you want to labor and deliver your child. I would ask your Dr. to provide you specifics about why they don't like Bradley. Good luck.

• imagemamaZbo:

I have never heard of a doctor refusing a patient because of the type of birthing class they have taken. It should be up to you to decide how you want to labor and deliver your child. I would ask your Dr. to provide you specifics about why they don't like Bradley. Good luck.

I agree on this point...not sure why it matters to the doctor which birthing class you take and what approach you want to try for getting through labor.  I didn't really follow any one method, but definitely incorporated some elements of the Bradley philosophy and some of the breathing techniques I learned in prenatal yoga---I think it's really important to have something to help you focus, especially if you are going without an epidural.  While I did review my birth plan with my doctors for both births, I don't think we had a discussion about what laboring method I wanted to use, other than that I wanted to labor at home as long as possible...

• Loading the player...
  • JKM416JKM416 member

I was med-free with both births and didn't use any particular method (other than the lie-on-my-side-and-hang-onto-the-bedrail-for-dear-life-until-this-contraction-ends approach), but this time I'm looking into aspects of hypnobirthing.  I can't get the time free to attend classes and truly be trained, but I'm doing stuff independently when I can.

One thing I understand about Bradley is that it's very partner/coach involved.  I learned while in labor that I don't want people talking with me, touching me, etc...no interaction of any sort.  Now I totally get why wild animals seek out quiet, dark places to be alone for birth.  If I'd planned my labor expectations around relying on other people to physically be there for me almost every step of the way, as it seems Bradley coaches are taught to do, I'd have been SOL.  DH and I did no "labor dancing" or anything of the sort.  The most I had him do was counter-pressure on my back at certain points...otherwise, I pretty much wanted to do it all by myself.  Which is why I hope some hypnobirthing techniques will come in handy this time.

I know Bradley covers more than just "what happens during the hours of labor" and has much of value to offer, especially in preparing your body and mind.  But I learned that what you *think* you want in labor may not turn out to be what you *actually* need at all, so keeping an open mind (and semi-preparing a back-up method?) helps.

Also, I think it's messed up what your OB said about not supporting Bradley...in theory, shouldn't it make their job easier?  If you love your OB and their hospital otherwise, who's to say you can't do Bradley on the sly and then bust it out on birth day?  How can they actually stop you?  Would they physically restrain you and/or your husband?  Throw their hands up and stomp out of the room, leaving you to deliver on your own?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bradley classes are pretty intense--our sessions were 2 hours a week for 12 weeks plus homework. Bradley focuses on relaxing through pain with your partner and having him trigger for relaxation through relaxation scripts, touch, breathing reminders, verbal encouragement, etc. Bradley also focuses on the beneficial purpose of pain. DH and I really enjoyed our class. It was a built-in date night  which was fun and it and helped us to go in as partners with equal knowledge and ownership of the birth.

I think your OB's comment sends up huge red flags about their practice. Bradley is about husband (or partner)-coached birth and educated choices about interventions based on your personal desires for the birth (with the idea that the more you know about interventions, the likelier it is that you will want a low-intervention birth). Why your doctor would refuse to work with an educated, self-advocating couples is very odd to me. Even if you go with Lamaze, just because the doctor said that, I would ask lots more questions about their philosophies and/or run out the door.

• The class I took was Lamaze based (at Holy Cross) and it certainly was more than just breathing. My class did cover breathing yes, but also visualizing images that were pleasant/comforting to you, massage techniques your partner could use, positions/props that were conducive to moving the baby down through the birth canal (birthing ball, etc.)  My husband was very involved in classes helping count, coach breathing, massage, remind me to relax, etc. (I say in class because I was induced and I didn't last very long with pitocin contractions before asking for an epidural).

We learned about interventions and certainly my instructor, who had been a L&D nurse for years, was advocating for us all to be armed with knowledge to avoid unnecessary interventions and achieve a vaginal - even med-free- birth.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I know some Dr find Bradley patients a bit annoying because they don't necessarily stay in bed and they won't accept a medication simply because the Dr recommends it so I can see why they'd want to avoid those patients BUT at the same time, you as the patient should be in charge and if this practice priorizes you falling in line with their agenda over you making informed decisions and going about labor in a way that helps you, then I agree with the others. That is a big red flag. How you birth is completely up to you and your doctor should support that.

If you live in Northern Virginia, the Birthing Inn of INOVA is very natural birth friendly for a hospital and there are options for OBGYN care or midwives. If you want to stick with OB-GYN care, Tepeyac in Fairfax is really good - they deliver at Fair Oaks INOVA. It sounds like you aren't interested in a birthing center, so I won't recommend them unless you decide it sounds like a good option.

For lamaze, my mother used it for 4 natural hospital births and she said it worked really well for her. She did the practice with my dad every day. My husband & I are going with the Bradley method because we want to be really well trained and we're hoping it'll strengthen our communication skills, train me to be a bit more relaxed, etc. Also, I want more feedback on my nutrition than what my OBs were offering. I would bring in my food logs but all they say is "looks good, keep it up!" Bradley takes the time to go through nutrition, stretches, exercise, in addition to the things you need to know for in-the-moment birthing. I think a Lamaze class is generally shorter, 6 weeks, and thus wouldn't have time to go into all that.  

It just depends what you're looking for. Honestly, I think either method could help you have a natural birth if that's what you're committed to. One covers more topics, gives you more feed back, and focuses exclusively on natural birth. The other is shorter (that's a pro for some, con for others), is widely practiced & understood, sticks to the topic of labor & delivery, and goes over all your options, including medical pain relief. So go with what's right for you - it's *your* decision.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! My OB's office is a group practice meaning I have to see all the Dr's at least once since they take turns to deliver at the hospital (which I'm ok with). I am going to ask more questions at my next visit (with a different OB) to see if it was just that one Dr. or if that's how the practice feels in general. Has anyone had to switch practices/Drs in their third trimester??
  • I'm switching in my second because I was at an OBGYN that only delivers at hospitals and I want a birth center experience. Kinda bummed to be leaving that practice because I really like them but the new birth center seems great too so I'm excited for my first appointment on Wednesday.

Clearly, being with the same practice from the beginning has its benefits but if the front office can give you a list of who will be on staff during the 2 weeks before your due date and 1 week after, you could see who you haven't met yet and just try to at least get 5 minutes on the phone with them before you're in your last month, that way whoever's on call for your birth won't be a total stranger.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"