Preemies
Options

Intro/ baby having temperature issues

I hardly qualify for this board as my baby girl was born at 36 weeks 5 days. However, the girls on my board are mostly still with inside babies so I thought I would hang out here for a few days while baby was in hospital. Hoping some of you ladies who have been through this can offer some support!

I know my story isn't nearly as dramatic and scary as some of yours so I feel silly even posting. However, its my first baby and I still have some worries/concerns. My water broke at 36 weeks 5 days and Marley was delivered via C Section due to being breech. She was born Saturday and the first day or two was smooth sailing.  Then she started having trouble maintaining her temperature... she was always about .2 lower than she be.  I was discharged Tuesday and she is still in there.

This waiting period is so hard! So far all blood test have been negative and its most likely that her trouble maintaining is just due to gestational age.  We have one more blood culture to test for infections that will be done tomorrow.

Im pretty frustrated because it seems everyday we go in each person we talk to has a different timeline of her release date. I know her health is most important and its hard for them to "guess" her release date when test are still ongoing. My rational mind knows that in the big scheme of things a week or so in the hospital isn't going to be a big deal and its most important we rule out all problems and get her healthy. But the "guessing" and "anticipation" is so hard.

You always imagine being wheeled out of the hospital with baby in your arms and its hard not being able to do that. :(  We miss her so much and its almost harder to visit her and look at her in the little incubator and not be able to hold her or help her!

Also, one of the other most frustrating things is I have very limited maternity leave. I am the bread winner of the household and only have 2 weeks off work/ 2 weeks working from home. Now, when baby gets home, best case scenario I will only have a week before I have to start working. I hate "wasting" time without seeing baby!

Anyways, venting done- hope I don't come off as too whiny.. its just a frustrating and emotional time. Just looking for people in similar situations. Anyone else have temperature issues with their baby?  Thanks guys!

Re: Intro/ baby having temperature issues

• Options

It's really hard to leave LO at the hospital, no matter what the reason. What drs always tell us is to think in terms of their due date, which is pretty fair. If they come home sooner, yay, if not...well, they will soon! I think temp change is pretty normal. I was in shock over his size and being so early so I don't remember that part. Well, no, he was in an incubator! DUH. Yeah, he couldn't hold his temperature. That was one of the things he needed in order to be released. I'm so sorry you have such a short leave :( I think that's the real kicker :( Please post as much as you'd like or ask questions about NICU. I have a feeling your stay won't be too long! Did they say there was anything else? Just temp? K, my LO is fussing!

• Options
    imageurbanflowerpot:

It's really hard to leave LO at the hospital, no matter what the reason. What drs always tell us is to think in terms of their due date, which is pretty fair. If they come home sooner, yay, if not...well, they will soon! I think temp change is pretty normal. I was in shock over his size and being so early so I don't remember that part. Well, no, he was in an incubator! DUH. Yeah, he couldn't hold his temperature. That was one of the things he needed in order to be released. I'm so sorry you have such a short leave :( I think that's the real kicker :( Please post as much as you'd like or ask questions about NICU. I have a feeling your stay won't be too long! Did they say there was anything else? Just temp? K, my LO is fussing!

Yep, just her temp unfortunately. Glad to know its pretty typical for those born early.  Its hard not to think worse case scenario when you are down sometimes!  She did have a bit of an issue with Jaudice but it seems to have resolved itself.

Your absolutely right as far as thinking in terms of due date.. I keep telling myself that we didn't even expect her for a few more weeks so we shouldn't be that upset that we don't have her home yet! If im thinking positively, anything before her due date home should be an extra bonus!

But yes, I think its probably the "wasting" of maternity leave that has me so upset. Im trying to get the guts up to ask my work for an additional week off but we have a really small office so I feel like it would be selfish of me. But we only have this time with her once.. I don't want to regret missing it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It can't hurt to ask! - you might regret not asking. My DH was pretty calm (outwardly) during our time in NICU and kept telling me we were lucky to be getting the extra time with him while everyone else had to wait. Of course, being the panic monster that I am, I didn't see it that way ;P

Jaundice is typical, too. Try not to worry, call as often as you like, and I really, really think you'll be out of there soon! :)

• Options
    kck329kck329 member

Temp control is one of the many NICU things that just takes a lot of time. I remember it felt like it took forever for C to finally gradate into an open crib because of this. Lots of patience required.

If you are worried about maternity leave, is it possible for you to work now while your LO is in the hospital? My DH worked the whole time C was in the NICU (I'm a grad student so it was easier for me to take time off) and I know many of the moms here had to work for part of their LOs NICU stays. It may give you the extra time when you have an at-home baby but I know it would be hard to leave. Just an idea.

• Options

I don't post here, just lurk, but my DD was born at 36w 3 d at 4lbs 13oz and also had temperature issues mostly because she just didn't have any fat on her. She was born on 6/22 and went home that sunday. It was hard in the beginning because she was only allowed to come out of the NICU to our room for feeding and then she was taken back. Unfortunetly she started doing better with her temperature but then was jaundiced and needed 24 hours under the lights.

I know it is hard but try not to worry. It probably won't take very long. We were only there for 4 days.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"