Preemies
Options

I am a soon to be preemie mom - if she holds on until 34 weeks

I am newbie to the preemie board, and new to the idea that my little girl will be born next week at 34 weeks.  I woke up this past Tuesday am at 12:45 in a puddle of amniotic fluid.  Once it finally sank in that I broke my water, I drove to the hospital and was transferred to a very reputable hospital in Southern California with a NICU.  I am currently on bedrest, monitoring, antibiotics and gradually still leaking fluid just hoping to cook little Harper Riley a while longer.  If you have any encouragement or words of wisdom I would love to hear from you.  Thank you for taking the time to hear my story :) 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: I am a soon to be preemie mom - if she holds on until 34 weeks

• Options
    My first daughter was born at 33w6d after my water broke. It is really scary. The good news is that 34 weekers tend to do pretty well in the NICU.. My DD was breathing on her own from birth (we did not get the steroid shots), and spent 16 days in the NICU, mostly learning to eat. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this, but welcome. Smile I had a very similar experience to you.  After waking up to my water breaking for no reason, the doctors put me on in-hospital bedrest with antibiotics and meds to mature DD lungs in-utero. Lily had other plans and was born the next evening.  She had no issues with breathing, but spent the first 17 days of her life in the NICU, learning to eat and keep her body temperature up.  It will be a trying time in your life, but you will get through it! Don't be afraid to make the NICU home and ask for help when you need it.  Good luck mama!
    image image image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was born at 33w6d. I got one steroid shot but not the 2nd. He was breathing on his own from birth.  He had some issues learning to eat and keeping his temp up. He also had jaundice. But he came home at 5 days old.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never broke my water (and ended up with a c-section), but my little boys were born at 34w0d and they're doing GREAT! They're a little behind on some of their milestones, but they're catching up quickly and are very happy and healthy. You're doing a great job, mommy! Just thought I'd give you a reason not to worry (as much, though I know that's probably not going to happen).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My LO was born via c-section at 34 weeks as well. He came out breathing on his own (I got steroid shots) and spent 9 days in the NICU learning to feed and regulate his temperature. He is now 3 months old and doing great!

Good luck, you'll do great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO was born at 33 weeks and two days and she was breathing on her on. I only got one steroid shot. She just needed to gain weight and eating was an issue. She was in NICU for 3 weeks. 
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hang in there! I had a partial placental abruption at 32w2d and was on bedrest at home until my water broke at 34w4d.  I went straight to the hospital and was told that it was time. I was so scared, but also thankful that we had gotten the steroid shots a few weeks prior. DS was 5lb 13oz and didn't have any problems breathing or regulating his temp.  But....he did have some feeding issues and spent 20 days in the NICU. He could eat just fine (from a bottle, never figured out nursing), but would get so tuckered out he couldn't finish his bottles. And the docs keep increasing how much he was supposed to eat every day.  DS had a feeding tube to get the rest of his bottles.

I hope you're able to keep that baby in there to cook for as long as possible. When she is born, make sure that the doctors meet with you to explain the plan of care. We didn't get that until DS was 3 days old and we had no idea they were putting in the feeding tube.  It was pretty terrible at the time because we didn't understand what was going on. And also make sure to take care of yourself. Drink water, eat, and take rests when you need it. Your little girl will need you to be strong.

DS is now almost 5 months old and doing fantastic. He eats like a champ, has gained a ton of weight and meets just about all of the developmental milestones. All of which I am so thankful for. 

Again, I wish you the best!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"