Health & Exercise
Options

Pilates/abs during first trimester?

Hi everyone! 

I have a question about pilates and ab work during the first trimester.  Is it safe to do the ab exercises still or should I leave them out?  Thanks in advance Smile

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pilates/abs during first trimester?

• Options

Yes, ab exercises are safe. I'm at week 30 and still work my core, I just don't do the same exercises (crunches are uncomfortable for me) and avoid anything that involves lying flat (supine exercises should be avoided in pregnancy).

I think it's important to keep strengthening all the muscles and especially the core muscles during pregnancy. Giving birth can be a workout all in itself!

Research prenatal workouts online and even youtube videos for ideas :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't change up any of my ab workouts until I hit 20 weeks when my doctor told me to stop doing ab work on my back.  At that point it was actually uncomfortable, so I just switched up what I do.  It's really important to keep your core muscles strong in pregnancy, not only for birth but for supporting all that extra weight in front :)
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    usrkikusrkik member
    I continued to go to my pilates class until 36 weeks pregnant.  I had to switch to the 'easy' form of some of the moves as my bump got bigger.  And I stopped doing the moves that require you to lay flat on your stomache in the second tri.  If anything hurts or doesn't feel right, then don't do it.  Otherwise it is fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Big Smile
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and I'm still doing pilates, yoga and zumba. I asked my instructors what was safe to do. In general you can keep doing abs works during your first trimester. You should avoid any twist (example laying on your back and your legs bent and going to your side). The back bends have to be avoided. In general the "listen to your body" rule applies. Also, during pregnancy a molecule, called I think relaxin, is released making your joint more flexible. So be cautious and do not overstretch otherwise it may cause you injuries. Until your bump appear you can keep doing exercises lay down on your belly but you should stop if you feel any discomfort. If you go to a class ask your instructor otherwise check amazo.. for good pregnancy workout.The one by Susan Bowen (pilates) is good but you have also mommyshape (yoga and dance), the perfect pregancy workout vol 1. I hope this helps.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"