Preemies
Options

Lipase

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this but it is affecting almost all of my frozen milk. It is an enzyme found in all breastmilk but some women have a higher amount. It makes milk smell sour or soapy after defrosted but is not harnful to a baby if ingested. There is nothing that can be done to save the milk once it has defrosted. And there is nothing that I could or couldn't have done to keep the levels from getting too high. The only reason I bring it up is bc Emily is now switching to formula bc of my defrosted breastmilk. It really really sucks bc I thought I would be able to feed her for 4 more months on what I had stashed. However, that is not the case. I guess I just wanted to do a quick PSA in case anyone else has a huge stash. The info the hospital gave me says that the only way to test it, is to defrost a few bottles and smell it. I had never heard of it in all the reading on did on breastfeeding so I guess just FYI.

And I'm super duper frustrated right now. We are 2 weeks out from home and Emily is taking every bottle perfectly so I made the mistake of thinking we were smooth sailing the rest of the way. Whoops...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  

Re: Lipase

• Options
    Are you still pumping? I've found that if I mix my frozen and fresh the boys don't mind it. I'm sure they mentioned it to you, but just in case...you can scald the milk before freezing to denature the lipase. Also, don't throw it all away. You cab use it to make purees, cereal, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Awww that sucks! But there's no reason you can't still have smooth sailing... this is just a tiny blip in the big scheme of things! You were already preparing to switch to formula, right? So you're still following the path you were expecting, just a little bit earlier. As long as Emily is eating well (and it sounds like she is) then everything should be ok. Keep on truckin mama... you're doing great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"