April 2011 Moms
Options

Still Demand Feeding?

My LO is 12 weeks tomorrow. From the beginning I have had a low milk supply. We have tried just about everything. The doctor asked me to stretch out his nursing to every 3 hours and then offer him two ounces of formula right after nursing. I have tried to do this but often he does not take the bottle right after but then he is showing signs of hunger about an hour later. I would like to pump and give him bottles of breast milk and formula but he enjoys nursing. Any suggestions??

Re: Still Demand Feeding?

• Options

imageeanderson2:
    My LO is 12 weeks tomorrow. From the beginning I have had a low milk supply. We have tried just about everything. The doctor asked me to stretch out his nursing to every 3 hours and then offer him two ounces of formula right after nursing. I have tried to do this but often he does not take the bottle right after but then he is showing signs of hunger about an hour later. I would like to pump and give him bottles of breast milk and formula but he enjoys nursing. Any suggestions??

No suggestions but we are in the EXACT same boat.  12 weeks today, low supply, everything.  I feed him about ever 3 hours but if he is hungry at 2 1/2 or so I go ahead obviously.  If he is hungry about an hour after the feeding I offer him 2 ounces.  Sometimes that is enough, sometimes he wants another 2.  I maybe supplement 2-3 feedings.  Not sure when we will stop that, I will probably continue this schedule until our 4 month appointment and talk to the dr about it then.  I am staying at home so it isn't that big of an issue for us to feed really often.

Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options
    Wow that is exactly the same. I agree that it is not a big deal to me to feed him often because I am home but I am afraid I am encouraging a bad habit. I also have my mom in my ear saying he should not be eating so often. Urgh!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    Olivia is four months (16 1/2 weeks) when she just had her check up the doctor asked how often I fed her and I said on demand, he said that's good and continue.  Follow what your pedi says and what you believe your LO one needs.  Moms and others think they know what is best but they don't know our LOs like we do.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsLCHMrsLCH member
    I still feed on demand.  If he's hungry, he's hungry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Feeding on-demand - whether LO ate 1 hr ago or even 10 minutes ago - is the best way to increase supply and to meet baby's needs. You can boost supply quickly by doing a "lactation vacation," where you spend 1-2 days (often over a weekend but could be any time since you SAH) holding, cuddling, lying in bed with baby (preferably with them in nothing but a diaper and you topless/in a shirt that opens in front so you can do lots of skin-to-skin contact) and offering to nurse at least every hour or any time baby acts interested - even if he just nursed 5 minutes ago. Don't use a pacifier or a bottle during this time. After the 2 days are over, go back to feeding on demand - but definitely do NOT try to stretch him to every 2 hours or every 3 hours, or your supply will just go back down. If he enjoys nursing and you're SAH and willing/able to let him do it whenever he wants, go with it! Check out Kellymom.com for more BFing info: https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply
  • Options
    Still feeding on demand as well.  
  • Options
    He eats every 3 hours while he's in day care, but at night and on weekends we still feed on demand. Your supply is not bound to increase if you try to space-out the feedings and supplement.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    EDWHIPEDWHIP member

imageKCKappa:
    Feeding on-demand - whether LO ate 1 hr ago or even 10 minutes ago - is the best way to increase supply and to meet baby's needs. You can boost supply quickly by doing a "lactation vacation," where you spend 1-2 days (often over a weekend but could be any time since you SAH) holding, cuddling, lying in bed with baby (preferably with them in nothing but a diaper and you topless/in a shirt that opens in front so you can do lots of skin-to-skin contact) and offering to nurse at least every hour or any time baby acts interested - even if he just nursed 5 minutes ago. Don't use a pacifier or a bottle during this time. After the 2 days are over, go back to feeding on demand - but definitely do NOT try to stretch him to every 2 hours or every 3 hours, or your supply will just go back down. If he enjoys nursing and you're SAH and willing/able to let him do it whenever he wants, go with it! Check out Kellymom.com for more BFing info: https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

I did this and it worked.  My supply takes a few days to catch up to LO's needs, but it works!  I am a BFAR (breast feeding after reduction) mom AND I only feed my LO from one breast.  It took me a long time to get my supply up.  It's worth a try!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    the best way to up supply is lots of water, eating enough, oatmeal, and lots of nursing.  if your LO acts hungry, nurse.  Then pump.  If they act hungry in 20 minutes, repeat.  My LO goes on average 3 hours.  sometimes it's only 2 hours, sometimes it's 5.  if he acts hungry, I feed him.  That's on demand.  Nursing is a supply and demand thing.  if your LO demands more (or you pump, making the demand), then you'll make more.  You also really need to make sure to eat and drink plenty.  sometimes it's easy to forget this one.  Plenty of sleep is helpful, but not realistic for moms. 
  • Options
    Still feeding on demand. Sometimes it is every two hours, sometime he will go four. If he is fussing, I try to soothe him in other ways before automatically offering the boobs, but if he doesn't settle, I nurse. When he isn't hungry, he doesn't take it.
  • Options

I absolutely feed on demand.  In my opinion it's the best way to ensure a healthy baby and a good supply.  I never stopped feeding Drew on demand - but as he got older we just fell into a very predictable schedule.  Still, even at 10 months or 13 months, if he seemed like he wanted to nurse, I would do it.

If Lizzy is hungry an hour after nursing, I nurse again.  If she acts hungry 30 minutes after nursing (or 10 or whatever), I nurse again.  More nursing = more supply. 

Unless you are pumping when you supplement, you're actually hurting your supply.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with formula, but if your goal is to increase your supply and get away from the supplement, then I'd highly suggest ditching the bottle for a while and just nurse like crazy. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree with everyone who said if he's hungry, he's hungry. I had a day a while back where I was "too busy to eat" and tanked my supply. Since then, I've been taking two fenugreek capsules with every meal, eating oatmeal when it sounds good for breakfast, and having a dark beer a day (Oh, the sacrifices we mothers make ;-)

I also try to remember to pump on days I'm not going in to work (I only technically have to pump Monday and Tuesday with my summer teaching schedule). There are a lot of things you can do to up your supply. Good luck!

Oh, I'm also addicted to brewer's yeast on popcorn :-)

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Options
    imagePAmiler82:

I absolutely feed on demand.  In my opinion it's the best way to ensure a healthy baby and a good supply.  I never stopped feeding Drew on demand - but as he got older we just fell into a very predictable schedule.  Still, even at 10 months or 13 months, if he seemed like he wanted to nurse, I would do it.

If Lizzy is hungry an hour after nursing, I nurse again.  If she acts hungry 30 minutes after nursing (or 10 or whatever), I nurse again.  More nursing = more supply. 

Unless you are pumping when you supplement, you're actually hurting your supply.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with formula, but if your goal is to increase your supply and get away from the supplement, then I'd highly suggest ditching the bottle for a while and just nurse like crazy. 

This.   As per my LC.  It helped, I think the most of everything I did.  I will say though, if LO is getting a bottle, I'm pumping all the while.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options

imageGHBEA:
    Olivia is four months (16 1/2 weeks) when she just had her check up the doctor asked how often I fed her and I said on demand, he said that's good and continue.  Follow what your pedi says and what you believe your LO one needs.  Moms and others think they know what is best but they don't know our LOs like we do.

Love this advice!

• Options
    My doctor suggested a schedule for my LO at her 2 month check-up.  I've chosen to continue to feed on demand as I feel it is what my LO needs.  If she is hungry, I feed her.  I agree with the poster who said supplementing and stretching out feedings will not help your supply.  I would pump and feed on demand to help increase my supply and then work on weaning off of the formula, but I know some people prefer to supplement with formula.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"