Health & Exercise

Need some tips and suggestions for weight loss!

Hi Ladies, I've been lurking for a while and you all are so inspirational. Here is a short version of my situation. I'm 5'10'' and have weighed on average 125-135 lbs during my adult life. I have always been a moderate exerciser, but maintained my weight with little effort and had never dieted. When my husband and I started to TTC, I was around 135-140 lbs and throughout 8 months and 3 unexplained miscarriages, I gained 20 lbs, due to emotional eating and drinking, along with lowered exercise. I finally conceived my twin girls and gained almost 60 lbs during my pregnancy. Because of my history of pregnancy loss, along with some early spotting, I was told to stop exercising during my pregnancy. I also ate like crazy during my pregnancy in order to give my kids the best chance at being healthy should they have come early (which they didn't). I gave birth to two 7 lb babies at 37 weeks and dropped most of my pregnancy weight almost immediately, but for two years now, the remaining 20-30 that I gained during my miscarriages, just won't budge.

I'm 100% serious about getting this weight off and also getting back into shape now. I'm going to the gym and doing spinning, boot camp, kick boxing, strength training, 5 days a week. However, despite the exercise, the weight is still not budging and at most, I've lost maybe 1-2 lbs over the past 3.5 weeks. I had my thyroid tested about a year ago and at the time, it was fine.

As someone who has never had to worry about their weight or diet in the past, I'm so clueless. How many calories should I aim to eat per day? I'm tracking with Livestrong.com and after subtracting my calories burned through exercise, I'm at around 1000 calories consumed per day. Is this too much, too little? Tips on healthy eating? I'm not a fish eater, which I know makes some aspects of healthy eating a little tougher. I'd really love to get some expert advice on how to get this weight off as quickly as possible and keep it off. Thank you all!!

M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Need some tips and suggestions for weight loss!

• 1000 calories a day is WAY too little!

The minimum a woman should eat is 1200 calories a day and that is with NO exercise. If you are working out 5 days a week, you should probably be eating 1500-1800 calories a day at the least.

Google "calorie calculator" and there are a ton of online calculators that you input your height, weight, activity level and goal weight and it will give you the correct amount of calories to eat per day to reach your goal.

You don't need to eat fish to eat healthy. Stick with lean proteins (chicken, turkey, pork, egg whites) and whole grains with plenty of fruits and veggies. Don't eat processed food, drink soda or eat refined sugar. It is really easy to eat healthy if you just put some thought into it.

Breakfast ideas- Oatmeal (real, not instant) with fruit, egg white omelet with veggies and low fat cheese, greek yogurt with low sugar granola

Lunch ideas- big salads, turkey burgers on whole grain rolls, turkey sandwiches on whole grain bread, side of fruit or veggies

Snack ideas- raw almonds, low fat string cheese, greek yogurt, fruit, veggies and hummus

Dinner ideas- Grilled chicken kabobs with different veggies and brown rice, pork tenderloin with roasted sweet potatos and steamed or grilled veggies, chicken fajitas with whole grain tortillas, roasted turkey with roasted broccoli and a side of quinoa or barley

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the PP in that your calorie count seems WAY too low!  If your body is in starvation mode dropping weight is going to be that much more difficult.  Increase your calories in the form of protein.  It's slower digesting and you'll feel full longer.

Next, when you say "strength training" are you using baby weights or are you using resistance?  If you're using weights lighter than your LO's, they're baby weights, increase the weight you're using.  You don't have enough testosterone in your system to have to worry about "bulking" so go ahead with the proper resistence.  Also, remember that muscle weights more than fat when it comes to surface mass being equal.  Focus on how your clothes are feeling instead of a number on the scale. 

The other thing you may need to do given all you mentioned for working out - you may need to take a break!  Plan two days/week to rest and allow your muscles time to recover. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • sdb421sdb421 member
    Thank you everyone! I will try all of these suggestions!! In terms of calories, I am eating actually closer to 1400 calories per days, but I'm subtracting what I burn during exercise to get a net of 1000/day. But, I will try to up it a bit. I need to focus on eating more lean protein and I will take all of the meal suggestions listed above! Thank you!
    M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It looks like you are eating to little. But it really depends on what you are eating as well. try to stick to lean protein and veggies and fruits. Try to eat as clean as possible meaning choose foods close to their natural state as possible.  

I just posted what has worked for me in a couple of posts below yours. under I did it!

I am so sorry for your losses. I have been there. Congratulations on your two little miracles.

Good luck. you can do it.

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
    Our Journey in Blog.
    My Blog
    Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"