Birth Stories

So fast!

Our little man is nearly 4 months old, so this is a little late:

I was all of 3 days overdue and they were measuring our baby (team green) at 8lbs 5oz so I, oh so sweetly, begged the doctor to schedule me for an induction.  Since I'd been having BHs since January and I was 2cm dialted, she scheduled us for the next morning at 8am.

DH and I arrived at the hospital at 8 and got ourselves situated.  It was kind of surreal how calm the process was, knowing we would be having a baby soon but lacking the sense of urgency that I imagine comes with being in labor.  They hooked me up to the pitocin at 8:30am and the contractions kicked in right away.  I made it to about noon before I was ready for the epidural (this was part of my plan all along).  The first shot at the epi only took on my right side, which was a strange sensation - I could still feel every (now increasingly painful) contraction on the left side.  The doctor came back within 5 minutes to redo the epi, so no major complaints!

My doctor checked in around 1 and broke my water.  He later told me that he and the other doc in his practice talked shortly after that and both agreed that I would probably not give birth until the following afternoon.  Glad they didn't tell me that!

At 2pm I decided to take a nap.  I woke up around 3 because I was feeling more pressure down there, but it didn't hurt and didn't feel urgent so I continued to rest with my eyes closed until almost 4pm.  At 4, the nurse came in to check vitals and I told her that I thought it might be 'time.'  She checked and said, "yep, I'll call the doctor."

The doctor arrived at about 4:45 and began to prep the room.  They had me do a practice push at 4:55, then the nurse said we were ready to start for real.  She then told us that with a first baby we should expect to be pushing for 1-2 hours - I checked the clock and set my sights for 7pm.  My goal was to have this baby out by 7pm, got it.

I pushed through 2 contractions, while my doctor continued to prep.  After the second set, he said "ok, stop pushing" and I said "I'm not pushing" and the head popped out!  The doc sat down very quickly and said, "ok, one more" and out he came!

Our little man was born at 5:11pm.  No one told me he was a boy for what seemed like forever, so I just kept asking until the nurse finally said "he" in reference to something he did.  They tossed him up onto my chest while the rest of the staff came in to check his stats - he came out so quickly that no one was ready!

He weighed 7lbs, 12oz and was 21 and 1/4 inches long.  Head full of hair, and a happy healthy boy.  He has been a dream from day one, a total pro at eating and a complete champ when it comes to sleeping! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image,

Re: So fast!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards